• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Craigslist - Private condo rental?

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before but I'd like to get opinions.

I found an ad on Craigslist for a condo rental in Ocean City, MD and have agreed on price ($625 plus $200 security). This is not a timeshare property. There are two options for payment. Option 1 lists the persons bank name, account name, routing and transit numbers. Option 2 is to pay through Paypal. I just inserted the persons email and it didn't list "verified" on it. I don't use paypal often, just to pay for things purchased on eBay, but thought it listed "verified" accounts. I have never used Craigslist for anything. I'm a little leary (worried about a scam), but I think the rental price is fair, doesn't seem too good to be true. I googled the "company" name and phone number on the purchase agreement and nothing popped up. This unit is not listed anywhere else as far as I can tell. Meaning that I see some units listed on a few sites and can kind of verify that they are legit. My thinking is that everything is on the up and up but would like opinions. I'm thinking that I should be covered by Paypal if something goes wrong (although I will be screwed if I get there and no place to stay !). Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Mark

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd pay by credit card as you can dispute charges if something goes wrong. Maybe ask them to call you and speak to them on the phone, answer a few questions.

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before but I'd like to get opinions.

I found an ad on Craigslist for a condo rental in Ocean City, MD and have agreed on price ($625 plus $200 security). This is not a timeshare property. There are two options for payment. Option 1 lists the persons bank name, account name, routing and transit numbers. Option 2 is to pay through Paypal. I just inserted the persons email and it didn't list "verified" on it. I don't use paypal often, just to pay for things purchased on eBay, but thought it listed "verified" accounts. I have never used Craigslist for anything. I'm a little leary (worried about a scam), but I think the rental price is fair, doesn't seem too good to be true. I googled the "company" name and phone number on the purchase agreement and nothing popped up. This unit is not listed anywhere else as far as I can tell. Meaning that I see some units listed on a few sites and can kind of verify that they are legit. My thinking is that everything is on the up and up but would like opinions. I'm thinking that I should be covered by Paypal if something goes wrong (although I will be screwed if I get there and no place to stay !). Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Mark

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How to verify that a rental is legit: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index....ntal-is-legit-when-you-are-the-renter.109479/

You should use a credit card on PayPal - that way if it is a scam, you can dispute the payment.

Many casual PayPal users do not have verified accounts, however, if they are asking for a Friends and Family payment, (rather than a purchase type payment) that is a violation of the PP rules, and it also strips away your protection.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister's dead inlaws' estate owns a condo on the third floor directly above the sand dune.... facing the ocean in Ocean City, Maryland. A timeshare resort was built a couple of blocks down the beach with almost the same floor plan. My sister is charged with RENTING the units .... has a regular base of "every year" renters. BUT things go haywire .. people change plans and a unit sometimes loses its renter due to age or family status. And I post an ad using the "look alike" timeshare condo ... clearly providing the real name & location of what I am renting PLUS a large selection of the inside pictures of the condo I am renting PLUS its real view of the ocean. I also include a direct phone number for contacting my sister ... who knows WAY more than I on that unit.

This does RENT the available last minute week ... every year. She just got this week (July 4th week) rented 2 days before checkin at 90% of the original/first renters price. And I have another week in mid-Aug up for rent now...school in Maryland starts about then.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
if they are asking for a Friends and Family payment, (rather than a purchase type payment) that is a violation of the PP rules, and it also strips away your protection.

Rental agreement just states an option of using Paypal. Is there still protection (in the event of fraud, and using a credit card to pay) if I "send" money to someone as opposed to having them send me a Paypal invoice?

FYI - I Googled the address listed on the contract and it comes up as a Resort Rentals, LLC. They have a webpage and after searching found a link that lists all of their properties. I did not see the one in question. They are listed with the OC Chamber of Commerce. I did send them an email asking them if this is legit.

Probably over paranoid, but I just have somewhat of a small feeling.

Mark

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I use Craigslist for renting apartments in my area of the country .... last 2+ years, I have been getting WAY better tenants than the units LISTED with a licensed F/T realtor. Costs less also.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Rental agreement just states an option of using Paypal. Is there still protection (in the event of fraud, and using a credit card to pay) if I "send" money to someone as opposed to having them send me a Paypal invoice?

They don't have to send you an invoice for you to use a credit card - when you make the payment, YOU choose the source of the funds, and you can chose credit card, and not a friends and family payment. That way you can dispute it with your credit card if necessary.

*Or, since this is a business, they should be able to take a credit card payment directly without using PayPal. But some people want you to make a PayPal Friends and Family payment, because then then don't have to pay any PayPal fees or Merchant Credit Card Fees.

Last edited:

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I first signed up for PayPal I was skeptical too about "verified" and "unverified" status. It turned out that to become verified all I needed to do was to add a credit card to my account. Unverified accounts are secured only by a bank account, but that doesn't mean they are not legitimate. I completed many transactions with my then unverified account. I believe there was also a lower max limit placed on an unverified account as well.

As another poster suggested, I agree that a simple phone call to the renter may resolve any doubts. If you don't feel comfortable, move on before sending $$$.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My sister's dead inlaws' estate owns a condo on the third floor directly above the sand dune.... facing the ocean in Ocean City, Maryland. A timeshare resort was built a couple of blocks down the beach with almost the same floor plan. My sister is charged with RENTING the units .... has a regular base of "every year" renters. BUT things go haywire .. people change plans and a unit sometimes loses its renter due to age or family status. And I post an ad using the "look alike" timeshare condo ... clearly providing the real name & location of what I am renting PLUS a large selection of the inside pictures of the condo I am renting PLUS its real view of the ocean. I also include a direct phone number for contacting my sister ... who knows WAY more than I on that unit.

This does RENT the available last minute week ... every year. She just got this week (July 4th week) rented 2 days before checkin at 90% of the original/first renters price. And I have another week in mid-Aug up for rent now...school in Maryland starts about then.

Just so you know Maryland changed their school calendar starting in the 2017/2018 school year. Public schools don't start until after Labor Day and they lost their full week of Easter/spring break.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just so you know Maryland changed their school calendar starting in the 2017/2018 school year. Public schools don't start until after Labor Day and they lost their full week of Easter/spring break.

Next summer ... 2 more HIGH SEASON rental weeks for sister ... but she actually might know this ... her youngest will be a HS Senior.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No this summer. Maryland schools don't go back until September 5 this year.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
I followed up last evening by emailing the "company" listed on the contract asking a few questions. I just received this from them (see below) with responses in bold. I think I'm gonna walk away from this deal.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for booking with us. We are very sorry for late response and here are the answer to your question.

1) I presume that you are acting as the agent for the owner, (owners name), with payment being made directly to him. I am curious as to why payment is this way (i.e- to owner and not to you?)

Ans; That is how we normally handle payment with our client, the owner will receive the payment directly.

2) Contract says checkin is at 3PM and checkout is also at 3 PM. Is this correct? Asking because of time to clean unit in between rentals.

Ans; The Check In and Check out time is absolutely correct.

3) Although stated in contract, I'd like to confirm that all linens and towels are included?

Ans; linen and towel will be provided.

Thank you.
cleardot.gif

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The reason the payment goes directly to the owner is that way if there is a dispute, the rental agent isn't involved.