TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Continuing Care Retirement Communities

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by clifffaith, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Which CRCC in Santa Fe are you going to visit?

2. VacationForever

VacationForever TUG Member

If you need higher level of care, does the amount go up from $2700, adjusted for inflation?

3. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

El Castillo, which for those who can walk (sadly not me at this stage with my back issues) appears to be an easy distance from the main plaza when looking at the map. We have been told it is the only CCRC in that part of New Mexico, and so far nothing else has jumped out at us.

4. Luanne

We have several friends living at El Castillo. They seem happy there. It is very close to the Plaza. They are supposedly building an additional facility in town. It won't be as close to the Plaza as the one that is already there.

I thought there were other facilities in Santa Fe, but I could be wrong. Maybe they are retirement communities but don't have the full care that El Castillo has.

Also remember Santa Fe is at 7000 feet and can cause problems for some people. We also get snow here. We love it and have been very happy retiring to this location, but if you have any mobility issues it could be challenging.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

Yes, but the amount is very small. It is not enough to concern me.

George

6. mpumilia

mpumilia Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    We do not have nor are we getting the Long Term Care Insurance either.

In so far as tax deductions, I am not sure they are really worth laying out the money just to get less back than you are paying.

But the peace of mind for you if probably worth it, so as long as you can afford it, what the heck.

For me, I think sleeping pills might be cheaper when the time comes.;)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  7. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

If Santa Fe ends up in serious contention I want to spend a couple winter weeks at our Diamond timeshare. We've been told snow is usually light, but did meet a couple at a pre-opera dinner one summer who said the town was snowed in at Christmas the previous year. You'll laugh -- obviously if if is snowing it is pretty darn cold, but in my mind the only issue was "if it's snowing, I'll stay inside". But what about the days it is snowless and 40 degrees outside? I've lived in Los Angeles since I was 5 years old, so snow and cold is just not something we have to deal with. We've been visiting Santa Fe annually since 2009 and I do have an issue each time with the altitude. Wake up a night feeling like I need to sit up and breathe to make sure I'm still getting enough oxygen. I expect to acclimate to altitude much easier that cold weather. What is drawing us to investigate a CCRC here is, as I suspected, CA real estate prices are what drives the entrance fee into the stratosphere. They are less by roughly half (without having actually crunched numbers, just glancing at a price sheet that shows the most expensive unit in SF as about the price of a studio in CA). Also my furnishings already fit Santa Fe -- instead of being the weird CCRC resident with skulls on her wall in California, my Dia de los Muertos/Mexican/folk arty decor will be right at home in New Mexico.

8. Luanne

I was born and raised outside Los Angeles and lived in the San Francisco Bay area until we moved to Santa Fe. I had never "done" winter before moving here. I've found there are very few days I need to stay inside all day. At this point (we've been here almost five years) I still love the winter. I find if I bundle up I can be outside when it's 40 degrees. I haven't experienced any problems with the altitude although I do get a bit winded sometimes when I hike.

I did trade in my Prius (which I loved) for an AWD Honda CR-V. We live in a development with dirt roads and I found myself stuck a couple of times just getting up the small hill to our driveway. Since I didn't want to be dependent on my husband for getting around I decided to get an AWD.

mpumilia likes this.
  9. Inhislove

Inhislove TUG Member

In my research for our in-laws, there are multiple kinds of continuing care communities and also plenty of 55+ retirement communities. Here is an example in my college town of DeLand, FL. You can do a buy in that is permanent after 4 years, a 75% refund option, and a C plan (unsure of what this means). It entitles residents to 30 days of care per year at the nursing/rehab center and a discount if assisted living or full-time nursing care is required.

http://www.alliancecommunity.org/duplexes.html

mpumilia likes this.
  10. Conan

Conan TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Does anybody here have experience with any of the locations in the Kendal group?
    http://www.kendal.org/

Our daughters went to Oberlin College which is how we heard of it. Oberlin, Ohio has bitter winters, though, which is off-putting.

11. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

As one who lives in a CCRC my advice is to visit as many CCRCs as you can before you choose one. Take your time. You are making a decision that will impact the rest of your life! Before I chose Trinity Terrace (Fort Worth, TX) I visited 6 or 7 other CCRCs in almost as many states. This enabled me to compare initial costs, monthly fees, physical facilities, different locations, food service, activities, etc. Being able to read the contracts and talk to residents at each was invaluable. Trust me. I found that the differences between CCRCs were mind boggling.

George

mpumilia likes this.