• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Continental RentaCar in Cancun

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Lee, I'm curious as to why you switched from America to Avant. The insurance coverage appears the same.

Several reasons. First, it took much too long for their rep to show up at the chaotic meeting spot they have selected outside of the terminal.

Second, after arriving at their rental office, the paperwork took much too long to complete; we were in that small stifling office for about an hour. I recall my friends and I asking each other if we'd ever get out of there.

Third, the rental vehicle was a pos.

Fourth, our friends returned the vehicle, since we were staying an additional week without wheels, and they explained the rep that checked in the car was literally crawling under the vehicle, looking for some sort of damage. Return took way too long, and the guy checking it in was a knob.

As mentioned, I've rented and subsequently switched numerous agencies over the years, and thus far, Avant has been top dog. If or when they drop the ball, we'll move on once again. We have another weeks rental before our return, so can update after that.

A question for you Helene, are you still vacationing at the rr's? I thought you were staying in Akumal, or elsewhere, no? Above is a view from our place today. Loving it. Not in Akumal though ;)

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I miss Tulum. Your picture reminds of some of my favorite places.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Nuestra segunda semana de aventura ha comenzado. Este es nuestro nuevo lugar, comprobar n ayer.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
? Que estas haciendo guey ? ? Donde es la pedo ? No reconozco esta playa pero sey ve muy chido.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Es hablar de buceo. Significa donde esta la accion o el partido. Has estan buceando ?

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
¿Dónde aprender Español?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aprendo a hablar de los chilongos. Soy no bueno, pero ni modo.

Looks like you moved south.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
¿son también demasiado humo de la marihuana?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A poco ? No fuman mota, lol. Chelas quizas.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I already have a good idea of your grasp of the Spanish language. ;) I'd rather not participate.

Ma tin naa'tik. Haha che'eh!

How's your Mayan?

Toosh ah ka hal?

Taak tu lakin.

Maare!

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No hay bronka noco. Ni modo. No hablo ni entiendo Mayan. Solo un poco de Espanol. En otras palablas, me valle madre Cabrone.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would not ever again rent a car from a small Mexican owned car rental agency.
I have learned that Continental Rental Car seems to be part of the American/Caribbean car rental group. They seem well regarded on TripAdvisor.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have learned that Continental Rental Car seems to be part of the American/Caribbean car rental group. They seem well regarded on TripAdvisor.

They probably are fine. Same goes for Advant. Both companies get good trip advisor reviews until they upset someone really bad. Usually they are so nice that a person wouldn't want to hurt their small business with a bad review, imo. I didn't.

I can remember renting cars from the big guys when they were doing things that were not considered coshire and gave car renting in Mexico a bad rep. I have had good experiences with small Mexican car rental companies but I have also had very bad experiences with the same companies. These small companies I used didn't go out of their way to upset me. In fact they were very nice but it cost me more of my precious vacation time than it was worth so now I only try to use Avis, Alamo, Hertz and occasionally Budget. These companies have their terms and conditions spelled out on their website and they abide by their franchise corporate rules. Avis, Hertz and Alamo usually run low mileage cars, accept Amex and most importantly they have a 24 hour international operator with interpreter services.

Bill

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We used AVANT last week - recommend highly

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 3427

Several reasons. First, it took much too long for their rep to show up at the chaotic meeting spot they have selected outside of the terminal.

Second, after arriving at their rental office, the paperwork took much too long to complete; we were in that small stifling office for about an hour. I recall my friends and I asking each other if we'd ever get out of there.

Third, the rental vehicle was a pos.

Fourth, our friends returned the vehicle, since we were staying an additional week without wheels, and they explained the rep that checked in the car was literally crawling under the vehicle, looking for some sort of damage. Return took way too long, and the guy checking it in was a knob.

As mentioned, I've rented and subsequently switched numerous agencies over the years, and thus far, Avant has been top dog. If or when they drop the ball, we'll move on once again. We have another weeks rental before our return, so can update after that.

A question for you Helene, are you still vacationing at the rr's? I thought you were staying in Akumal, or elsewhere, no? Above is a view from our place today. Loving it. Not in Akumal though ;)

Helene4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I didn't like the beach in Akumal. Too many rocks/boulders to get in and out of the water for me who has a knee replacement. Moved on to Soliman Bay in Tulum. Actually, your picture looks similar to where we stayed. Going back again in 2018. Then on to our timeshare in RH.