• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Continental RentaCar in Cancun

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I tried posting this in the sticky, but received no replies, so I deleted it to post it here.

Does anyone have experience with Continental RentaCar in Cancun? I think they may have a sister company America Car Rental. When looking at cars, you can price it in US$ or MX$. The Peso price when converted based on what we can buy cash at works out to way less than the US$ quoted prices. How exactly do they figure the conversion? Are they just pricing everything in MX Peso and then using a real poor exchange rate to convert it to US$? If I reserve in Peso, do they actually bill me that amount or do they convert it to the US$ rate at what appears to be a bad rate?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We only use Avis or Hertz as we have been burned by other ones over the years. We having men going to Cancun 2/3 times a year since 1990.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
We only use Avis or Hertz as we have been burned by other ones over the years. We having men going to Cancun 2/3 times a year since 1990.

Where do the women go? :whooopie:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Any experience with Alamo?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Yes, I used Alamo last year in Cancun. Very nice car. I used my Amex and bought the supplemental liability. I rented the car through the Alamo website. I have also used Avis in Cancun and didn't purchase any additional insurance. Very nice car.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been traveling to Cancun for 25 years, and have rented from many different agencies over those years, including America Car rental. Hands down the best experience we've ever had was with Avant Car Rental.

I sent them an email last evening confirming our upcoming arrival, and they responded within 6 minutes. They just continue to impress me. We won't use anyone else.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would not ever again rent a car from a small Mexican owned car rental agency. These companies are not bound by anything as far as I can tell. Avant might have good reviews but they do not take Amex in a traditional way. In other words, Amex protection is not available with Avant.

I have rented from smaller Mexican car rental companies in the past and have had problems because of the age or maintenance of the car. I had a Suburban that had a bad battery leaving us stranded until someone came to fix it. They gave me a jump start and the Suburban died at the resort. It was a hassle to have the resort allow this company into the garage to replace the battery. On a different trip I had a nice looking minivan that began to overheat that I rented from a local provider. They didn't have anything to replace the minvan. The worst was a vehicle that was left for me at the airport that had steering problems.

The other problem with renting from Mexican car rental companies is that there is no way to verify that the extra insurance you purchase is valid or that they will follow through on any thing. When you rent from a major corporation like Avis, the corporation is bound by their terms of service, everything is in writing and if you have a problem you can call someone other than the people you are having a problem with.

The last car I rented at Cancun Airport was through Alamo. It was a VW Jetta with less than 10,000 km on it. Very nice car with very nice amenities. The year before that I rented a Toyota Corolla from Avis Cancun with less than 10,000 km on it. Very nice car.

Bill

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not ever again rent a car from a small Mexican owned car rental agency. These companies are not bound by anything as far as I can tell. Avant might have good reviews but they do not take Amex in a traditional way. In other words, Amex protection is not available with Avant.

I have rented from smaller Mexican car rental companies in the past and have had problems because of the age or maintenance of the car. I had a Suburban that had a bad battery leaving us stranded until someone came to fix it. They gave me a jump start and the Suburban died at the resort. It was a hassle to have the resort allow this company into the garage to replace the battery. On a different trip I had a nice looking minivan that began to overheat that I rented from a local provider. They didn't have anything to replace the minvan. The worst was a vehicle that was left for me at the airport that had steering problems.

The other problem with renting from Mexican car rental companies is that there is no way to verify that the extra insurance you purchase is valid or that they will follow through on any thing. When you rent from a major corporation like Avis, the corporation is bound by their terms of service, everything is in writing and if you have a problem you can call someone other than the people you are having a problem with.

The last car I rented at Cancun Airport was through Alamo. It was a VW Jetta with less than 10,000 km on it. Very nice car with very nice amenities. The year before that I rented a Toyota Corolla from Avis Cancun with less than 10,000 km on it. Very nice car.

Bill

Well Bill, a few errors and misconceptions.

First, you are correct that Avant does not accept American Express; they accept Visa & MasterCard with their respective "protection". You elude that you rely on "Am Ex protection", however while driving in Mexico, that isn't going to help you. As anyone renting and driving there should know, if you are involved in a mva with damages or injuries, you will be held until the police determine blame. In Mexico, you are presumed guilty until proven innocent, and you are the foreigner. If you are found responsible for damages or injuries, you will be detained until you pay up for these, or your selected source of Mexican purchased insurance comes to your rescue. Thus, relying on your Am Ex, or any cc for that matter for "protection" isn't worth the paper it's printed on in Mexico. You're going to jail. Being reimbursed by your cc for damages or injury after you return home is not going to be your objective. Getting home will be. So much for your cc "protection". It's useless in Mexico. Look it up.

Second, not all small Mexican car rental companies are created equal. You've already proven my point by indicting Avant, a smaller Mexican company that provides outstanding service, true protection, and new vehicles. I've rented from many of the rental agencies in this region over the past 25 years, and have my own examples of old, dilapidated rental cars. However, the vehicles we've rented from Avant were NEW. We, and our friends accompanying us will be renting vehicles from them very soon, and I'd be happy to post photos of these vehicles, as I'm confident they won't be junkers, but new.

Third, you need to do more homework, and read your contract before making a statement like this: "problem with renting from Mexican car rental companies is that there is no way to verify that the extra insurance you purchase is valid or that they will follow through on any thing". What proof do you have that your privately owned Avis will? Can you please reference a first hand example or two?

Finally, you apparently are unaware that the "major corporations like Avis" in Cancun are not affiliated with these U.S. companies. Avis in Cancun is a privately owned company, by a local resident. You are assuming that you will receive the same type of service, protection, and response of Avis USA, and you would be very mistaken. These small Mexican based rental agencies license the name from Avis, Hertz, Budget, etc. So many unknowing tourists are misled by this tactic only to learn when they have a problem that these companies are nothing more than the "Mexican car rental companies" that you've indicted. Avis USA just told me "you could anticipate a delay of up to 45 days for any assistance" from them, if you have a problem with Avis Cancun.

Look it up. Or, call them yourself.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your so wrong on almost every thing you posted Phydeaux.

1. The credit card only covers the car. There is no liability insurance protection with the credit card.

2. All cars in Mexico are required to have liability insurance by law. Some agencies charge for this , others include this in their rate. You can purchase supplemental liability protection from most of the car rental companies but it is not required under the terms and conditions for some like Avis.

3. Avis is an American owned company that has multiple phone numbers as are many of the major car rental corporations. Their terms and conditions are easy to find as they are in writing unlike most Mexican car rental companies, including Avant. The big difference is something in writing or taking some ones word.

I can tell you are very confused regarding car rentals in Mexico. I'm not going to argue with you but will just say emphatically that you are very misinformed.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
One thing I thought I had read is that the liability insurance doesn't cover lost wages if someone is injured in an accident. So if you injure a primary breadwinner in a family of 5, it could be costly. A single woman, perhaps not as much. Mainly because incomes are very low in Mexico. Liability would cover damage to other property and bodily injury but not lost wages.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We always add 3rd person liability insurance.
Since it is mandatory in Mexico, this is wise. Are you referring to something above and beyond the mandatory liability insurance?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The 3rd party liability insurance in Mexico is mandatory and covers all 3rd party liability claims up to its limit the same way as your personal car insurance does in the USA. The minimum is very low just like it is in the USA. You can purchase supplemental liability that would increase the liability insurance to around $100,000 - $200,000 USD depending on rental agency and geographical area.

You can also purchase "personal accident insurance" which would cover the driver and occupants of the rented car. Amex premium car rental insurance has the "personal accident insurance" and "LDW and CDW" included when you use the Amex card to rent the car. The rental agency will place a hold on your card as explained in their terms and conditions. I think Alamo held $2500 until I brought the car back.

It is a good idea to purchase the "supplemental liability insurance", imo.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Avis is an American owned company that has multiple phone numbers as are many of the major car rental corporations. Their terms and conditions are easy to find as they are in writing unlike most Mexican car rental companies, including Avant. The big difference is something in writing or taking some ones word.

I can tell you are very confused regarding car rentals in Mexico. I'm not going to argue with you but will just say emphatically that you are very misinformed.

Bill

Bill,

Let's set this straight. Avis in Cancun is a privately owned company, by a local resident. You are assuming that you will receive the same type of service, protection, and response of Avis USA, and you would be very mistaken. These small Mexican based rental agencies license the name from Avis, Hertz, Budget, etc. So many unknowing tourists are misled by this tactic only to learn when they have a problem that these companies are nothing more than the "Mexican car rental companies" that you've indicted. Avis USA just told me "you could anticipate a delay of up to 45 days for any assistance" from them, if you have a problem with Avis Cancun.

The last line I previously wrote for you was a direct quote from an Avis USA customer service representative that I spoke with. Not only did she confirm that Avis USA does not have operations with Cancun Avis, but that they are a privately owned company, and if you have a problem with them "you could anticipate a delay of up to 45 days for any assistance" from Avis USA. Again, those are quotation marks.

Why not go to Avis's website and see for yourself how you are redirected to Mexico Avis, then to Cancun. Check that phone number.

Then, call Avis USA yourself and ask if the information I've provided is correct. I'd be happy to provide their customer service telephone number for you, but I wouldn't want you to think I was misinformed or lying about that too.

Perhaps you also missed the insurance terms in writing on Avant's website. Here they are for you:

INSURANCE COVERAGE:
Our insurance provides you with full coverage protection. You will not need to spend on any additional coverage. INCLUDES EPC (Extended Protection Coverage) with ZERO deductible or franchise for drivers aged over 25.

Includes:

• *CDW: Collision Damage Waiver , covers any type of damages to rented vehicle on accident or collision.
  • *LDW: Loss Damage Waiver, covers theft of rented vehicle.
  • *PLI: Liability and third parties damages on properties or persons caused with rented vehicle
  • *ALI/RC: Additional liability Insurance/Civil responsibility coverage, complying with the new coverage requirements issued by Highway Mexican Law, article 62 issued on 2004.
  • *PAI: Personal accident insurance, covering medical expenses for passengers of rented vehicle in case of accident.
  • *Legal Assistance for customers in case of accident involving violation of any law.
===================

I'd be happy to scan and provide the more descriptive version from their contract upon my return. You can then compare it to your Avis Mexico coverage.

Grammar lecture removed--just stick to the topic with no personal jabs please.

Last edited by a moderator:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are some what right but some what wrong and coming to wrong conclusions , imo. All Avis franchises and most of the other major auto rental franchises can be owned privately but they have to abide by the franchise terms and conditions when you rent a car through the franchise portal.

When I call Avis they answer the phone 24/7. This isn't the case with many small locally owned rental agencies. If my Avis rental has a mechanical problem I can make a call and get help 24/7. Not so much with the small locally owned rental agency. If I have a dispute with anything regarding my Avis rental, Avis Corp will look into it . Not so much with the small locally owned rental agency.

There was a time I looked for the local guy to help them out but after loosing vacation time and being disappointed by their service I just go for the sure thing. BTW, the rental cars at many of the smaller local rental agencies are vehicles sold from the major franchises as no longer worthy of being a rental car in their inventory.

The bottom line is you really do not know what is going to happen if you have a problem with the smaller local car rental agency and you know exactly what is going to happen with the major franchises because it is outlined in their terms and conditions.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are some what right but some what wrong and coming to wrong conclusions , imo. All Avis franchises and most of the other major auto rental franchises can be owned privately but they have to abide by the franchise terms and conditions when you rent a car through the franchise portal.

When I call Avis they answer the phone 24/7. This isn't the case with many small locally owned rental agencies. If my Avis rental has a mechanical problem I can make a call and get help 24/7. Not so much with the small locally owned rental agency. If I have a dispute with anything regarding my Avis rental, Avis Corp will look into it . Not so much with the small locally owned rental agency.

There was a time I looked for the local guy to help them out but after loosing vacation time and being disappointed by their service I just go for the sure thing. BTW, the rental cars at many of the smaller local rental agencies are vehicles sold from the major franchises as no longer worthy of being a rental car in their inventory.

The bottom line is you really do not know what is going to happen if you have a problem with the smaller local car rental agency and you know exactly what is going to happen with the major franchises because it is outlined in their terms and conditions.

Bill

Bill, you must have again missed the part where I quoted Avis USA in that it could take them 45 days to respond to your problem with the owner of Avis Cancun. No, you cannot expect the same service. You're dealing with an independent, privately owned Mexican business. Check their phone number agai, or, call Avis USA and ask to be connected with them. Let us know how that works out.

When you rent in Mexico, the number you call will be the locally owned Mexican Avis. Do they also answer 24/7? Do they also offer help 24/7?

It's a name and logo that's been licensed. Your Cancun Avis and Avant are essentially the same thing. Done.

Btw, I picked up our 2016 VW from Avant yesterday. 17k miles on the odometer, and very clean and shiny. Beautiful vehicle, and once again, outstanding service. Avant Car Rental for me. Others can stick with the guy behind the curtain :)

Personally, the entire name licensing thing is enough of a turn off from the stand point of misleading that I choose not to do business with them. There's also an airport transfer service based at the Cancun airport that is named Yellow Cab. Well, taxis are not permitted to take fares from the airport, so this too is very misleading. Sort of like these big name car rental places.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We are planning to pickup at the airport and drop off in the Hotel Zone. Where is Avant Car Rental location in the Hotel Zone?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bill, you must have again missed the part where I quoted Avis USA in that it could take them 45 days to respond to your problem with the owner of Avis Cancun. No, you cannot expect the same service. You're dealing with an independent, privately owned Mexican business. Check their phone number agai, or, call Avis USA and ask to be connected with them. Let us know how that works out.

When you rent in Mexico, the number you call will be the locally owned Mexican Avis. Do they also answer 24/7? Do they also offer help 24/7?

It's a name and logo that's been licensed. Your Cancun Avis and Avant are essentially the same thing. Done.

Btw, I picked up our 2016 VW from Avant yesterday. 17k miles on the odometer, and very clean and shiny. Beautiful vehicle, and once again, outstanding service. Avant Car Rental for me. Others can stick with the guy behind the curtain :)

Personally, the entire name licensing thing is enough of a turn off from the stand point of misleading that I choose not to do business with them. There's also an airport transfer service based at the Cancun airport that is named Yellow Cab. Well, taxis are not permitted to take fares from the airport, so this too is very misleading. Sort of like these big name car rental places.

Phydeaux, Avis at the Cancun airport is open 24/7. The Avis international operator answers the phone 24/7. When you have a issue with any Spanish speaking person regarding your car rental you can call the major car rental agencies for translation 24/7. If you have a problem with an Avis franchise, Avis Corporation does take care of it, even if it might take 45 days. If you have a problem with Avant or any other small Mexican car rental agency you are likely on your own is my point. There is a huge difference between franchises that must follow corporate guidelines and small companies that don't, and I think you actually know the difference, and like me will pull for the local guy until you get burned a few times.

Anyway, enjoy your trip ! Are you planning on diving ? If so I would like to read about it.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning to pickup at the airport and drop off in the Hotel Zone. Where is Avant Car Rental location in the Hotel Zone?

Avant this year shuttled us to their office, just outside of the Cancun airport spur, north on 307. They explained that Uber has compromised their delivering vehicles to the airport. Read - politics. It wasn't a problem for us, very brief ride to their office, quick paperwork (not like the hour we spent in America Car rental's stiffling office) and we were on our way.

Would like to hear from other renters if their respective companies are doing the same. Recent experiences, of course. I didn't see anyone driving away in a rental car from the airport, but, I could have missed them.

Done trying to explain things to Bill. Just doesn't get it.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since it is mandatory in Mexico, this is wise. Are you referring to something above and beyond the mandatory liability insurance?
I'm not sure that it is mandatory as we have seen people turn it down. Our AMEX covers all of the insurance except the 3rd person liability. It adds about $12 a day for the rental. We were in an accident years ago pulling out of the Royal Sands-- we were in the right lane and a bus just ignored us and pulled right into us. No one was hurt and AMEX took care of all damages.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most of the major car rental franchises are right next to the airport with shuttle service to their operations. I would rank Avis faster at getting us on the road as a bit faster than Alamo in Cancun but only because of the amount of people that showed up at Alamo at the same time. Even so, we were on our way within 30 minutes at both. Dropping the cars off was very easy as well

Another problem for many of the small locally owned auto rental companies in not being able to have an airport location. There are signs that direct a person to the airport from the major highways and signs that direct a person that rented a car to the proper drop off area. Good luck finding "north on 307" and being in the right lane to actually find Avant. If a semi is parked in front or even a large truck you might not see Avant and accidentally dive by. HWY 307 is the truck route and is a very congested and busy hwy at most times of the day.

Bill

Last edited:

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe off topic slightly but we are going to be at Grand Luxxe near Playa del Carmen, followed by a week at Lagunamar in Cancun. Grand Luxxe will provide us transportation to the resort from the Cancun hotel. Then laze around Grand Luxxe for a few days without the need to leave the resort. Best plan is we rent a car towards the end of our stay at the Grand Luxxe, use that to drive to Lagunamar, then return the car at the Cancun airport (at the end of our Lagunamar stay). What agency/location would be best for me to do that.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe off topic slightly but we are going to be at Grand Luxxe near Playa del Carmen, followed by a week at Lagunamar in Cancun. Grand Luxxe will provide us transportation to the resort from the Cancun hotel. Then laze around Grand Luxxe for a few days without the need to leave the resort. Best plan is we rent a car towards the end of our stay at the Grand Luxxe, use that to drive to Lagunamar, then return the car at the Cancun airport (at the end of our Lagunamar stay). What agency/location would be best for me to do that.

My friends rented from the resort located car rental franchise company with no problems for the same type of move you are planning this last January into February. They drove to the Villa del Palmar just north of Cancun and dropped the car off at the airport.

Here is a link to Dave's thread.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/renting-a-car-from-grand-mayan-riviera-maya.174379/

Bill

Last edited: