• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"CONSUMER ALERT" Gasoline Station "GAS PUMP CREEP" --- BEWARE

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gasoline "Pump Creep" allows the Gas Pump to register "charges" on the Gas Pump without supplying gasoline ....

1. LOS ANGELES: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Gas-Pumps-Off-LA-County-Regulate-Money-Spent-378896991.html

2. LAS VEGAS: http://www.ktnv.com/news/investigat...-finds-problem-with-gas-pump-overcharging-her

3. GILBERT, ARIZONA: http://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...ep-are-you-paying-for-gas-youre-not-receiving

4. PHOENIX, ARIZONA: http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...-creep-caught-on-camera-at-phoenix-gas-staion

5. FACTS:

Stats from the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures:
66,000 fuel devices statewide
22,000 device inspections per year
9% of inspections find actionable problems
1-2% of the inspections find pumps shorting the customers
220-440 Arizona customers affected per year

Source: Consumerist ..... https://consumerist.com/2008/07/30/4-ways-gas-pumps-screw-you/

Consumer Tip:
=====================================
How do you know if there’s a discrepancy? Try this technique: “…fill your tank by stopping at the 10 gallon mark.
If the price is ten times(10x) the amount of 1 GALLON, you know you aren’t getting screwed.
Keep your eye on the price when it gets around 10 gallons ... every time you fill up.”

Have you "experienced" this???

Happy Travels, gvic

(Please copy & paste -- forward to your Friends & Family)

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of work for a very small chance at finding something. Watching the screen while checking out at the grocery store has a much higher payoff.

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of work for a very small chance at finding something. Watching the screen while checking out at the grocery store has a much higher payoff.

Let me try another "Perspective" for you to consider .....

1. People spend more Money at the Gas Pump than they do at the Grocery Store.

2. Based on the Arizona failures of "9%", review these reasons why its important to be "educated" about this problem......

Arizona Population 6.731 million(2014) and averages 65,964 Arizona Residents are affected by this per Year or 181 AZ Residents per Day***

Texas Population 26.96 million(2014) and averages 264,208 Texas Residents are affected by this per Year or 724 TX Residents per Day***

California Population 38.8 Million(2014) and averages 380,240 California Residents are affected by this per Year or 1,042 CA Residents per Day***

(Calculation: Population x .0098% (Gas Pumps) ÷ 365 Days = Residents per Day)

***assuming 50% of the population own a car .... Residents affected per Day is "SIGNICANT" ! !

Does this support a "Recall" ? ? ?

Happy Travels, gvic

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
What is missing in your analysis is what is the actual cost of a "failure", and the definition of a "failure". If a failure is that a pump needs calibration, by what percentage (on average) is it off? And what does that end up costing the average consumer?

When all is said and done, I would be shocked if the total cost of all these "failures" divided by the car-owning population would be more than a few dimes. If that. With that said, what would the resulting recall, as you seem to advocate, cost the average consumer? Add up all of the lawyer fees, equipment replacement / repair costs, labor costs, etc. -- all of which result in increased operating costs for the gas station owners, and will be passed on to consumers as increased prices. In the end, the consumer loses WAY more than what a very small percentage of pumps that are shorting customers at the pump (1-2% according to your posted numbers) are costing the consumers today.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
1. People spend more Money at the Gas Pump than they do at the Grocery Store.
Not sure where you got this "alternative fact", but the truth is that the average consumer spends twice as much on groceries than gas.

Reference: US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics (https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cesan.nr0.htm) See "Food at home" and "Gasoline and motor oil" line items.

Just happened to check this first point. Didn't check the accuracy of other "facts" listed in the post / articles.

Kurt

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree with Kurt.

It may not be shorting you but instead there could be a delay from when the gas stops flowing to displaying it. The only way to really know is to actually measure the gas received vs what you were charged. In any event I am not going to worry about it.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference with what a woman might spend at the grocery store & gas pump VERSE what man might spend between a grocery store & gas pump?

Of the age old question is, who spend more money on groceries verse who spend more money at the gas pump?

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference with what a woman might spend at the grocery store & gas pump VERSE what man might spend between a grocery store & gas pump?

Of the age old question is, who spend more money on groceries verse who spend more money at the gas pump?

What difference does it make? In our case the answer is very simple. I spend $0 at the grocery store and $0 at the gas pump. My wife spends 100% at both. Now what has it got to do with the possibility of gas pumps overcharging?

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whaqt difference does it make? In our case the answer is very simple. I spend $0 at the grocery store and $0 at the gas pump. My wife spends 100% at both. Now what has it got to do with the possibility of gas pumps overcharging?

We agree twice in one thread.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Anecdote:
Years ago (like 20), I was driving thru the Sawtooths in Idaho and badly needed gas.

I found a run-down gas station in the middle of nowhere and started pumping.
I noticed the pump's register wasn't turning -- no gas or $$ registered at all.
When the tank was full, I went inside and said, "The pump's meter isn't working."

The woman at the counter said, "Yep, we know. How much do you think you used?"
I said, "The tank holds 16+ gallons, and we were pretty low, so maybe 14 gallons."
She calculated the total on a scratch pad and said, "Good thing I'm a teacher."
The total seemed fair. I didn't think to check her math.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
:D Loved your story above.

Re. OP, we use 3 vehicles and positively spend way more on groceries than gas. But we're not in our cars most of the time like some we know. You'd have to do a lot of driving to spend more on gas than groceries for most families, IMO.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
:D Loved your story above.

Re. OP, we use 3 vehicles and positively spend way more on groceries than gas. But we're not in our cars most of the time like some we know. You'd have to do a lot of driving to spend more on gas than groceries for most families, IMO.

Agreed.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMHO, more peep cheat themselves by not shopping around for gas.
In my own neck of the woods, prices differ by up to 15 cents/gallon.
I find the "gas buddy" app useful when travelling on the road.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
People probably waste more gasoline by not maintaining the correct air pressure in their tires. When's the last time you checked yours?