• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Construction at the Point at Po'ipu

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
On our way home. Layover in Seattle before going on to MSP.

Yesterday I chatted with the fellow who owns the company that is doing all the site prep work. The heavy earth moving was completed yesterday, as required. However they will be working on the site for the next couple of months. They need to put in the water main and seed the entire area. There are finishing touches on the lava rock walls needed. They clean them up and then spray them with a black stain (who knew!) to give then the color you see on most of the lava rock walls.

He confirmed that what I thought that they have constructed storm water retention ponds to control run off. This means there will be some major earth moving when the lots are sold and the houses start to go up.

One surprising thing he said is that there will be no hook-up to city sanitary sewer. Each home will have its own septic system. This is hard to believe since the sanitary sewer system is right there. I would have thought that the county would have required it, given that the properties are right on the ocean.

He also said the lots are not on the market yet. CBRE is looking for a bulk buyer for the property.

Paul

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
One surprising thing he said is that there will be no hook-up to city sanitary sewer. Each home will have its own septic system. This is hard to believe since the sanitary sewer system is right there. I would have thought that the county would have required it, given that the properties are right on the ocean.
I recently had a discussion with DW wondering how they would get the sewer system output from the lot on the bottom of the hill to the connection on the top of the hill. I guessed that they'd have to use a septic system, because we all know what never rolls uphill. :D
Thanks for all the updates!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I recently had a discussion with DW wondering how they would get the sewer system output from the lot on the bottom of the hill to the connection on the top of the hill. I guessed that they'd have to use a septic system, because we all know what never rolls uphill. :D
Thanks for all the updates!
Actually Art, "sewage pumps" are used all the time for that purpose (pumping "s" uphill. It's not nice when they fail, but it is pretty old and stable technology. They work fine unless someone flushes a thick chunk of metal, bone or plastic.

Like others, I am surprised that they were allowed to use a septic system. Perhaps the lava is porous enough that it will filter it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did the owner give you any idea and how expensive it is to build a septic system?

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't ask the fellow from CBRE what a septic system would cost. I suspect the Inuit's didn't want to pay to have the sewer line installed and got the Council to approve septic. With all the County budget discussions that were going on while we were there I am afraid the County is being "flexible" on what developments it approves in quest for the tax dollar. I am not sure this is well advised and am somewhat pessimistic about the financial future of the island. I somehow feel the developers are painting this rosy financial picture and the revenue these up-scale developments will generate, but the picture is blurry at best.

Bill4728

Reaction score
this is an old thread 2017

this there any more recent news?

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
All is quiet, I guess since nothing has been posted since we got back two years ago that all is quiet behind the Great Wall of Po'ipu. The feeling was it was going to be years before any development would begin. Apparently the Inuits don't want to develop it, they want someone to just buy the property from them so they can take their money and run. I suspect that might be a while too.:)

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll be there Saturday. I'll post some pictures when I can. I thought I was the only one calling it Great Wall of Po'ipu.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Art, the Great Wall of Po'ipu is a great term. Maybe I got it from you. Look forward to some pictures as we are not there until March. I used the term at Jamie's meeting last year and she looked at me like "What?". I will be at the HOA Meeting and plan to ask about the development if Jamie doesn't address it.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And maybe I got Great Wall of Po'ipu from you. Ain't nothing going on here except maybe for some trees they planted since last year.

2019-01-26%2016-25-29-L.jpg

2019-01-26%2016-24-50-L.jpg

2019-01-26%2016-24-18-L.jpg

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Art, Thanks for the pictures. Good to know that nothing is going on. See that the irrigation pipes are still in place, but some of the grasses look a little stressed. From the sky it looks like you are having nice weather. They are still saying snow this afternoon and more tonight.

Cheers,

Paul

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I think I heard but can't remember where that the Developer that put in the Wall, Streets, utilities is trying to off load the whole Development in one piece. For whatever reason they no longer want to be involved in selling it by building lots or in building the houses.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
The for profit corporation that represents the Inuit Indians of Alaska is trying to unload the whole thing. They acquired the point in a land swap for land that was needed for the Alaskan Pipe Line, but they have had to plunk money into it to get it ready for development so they are in a negative cash position and don't want to wait around to recoup there investment.
They want to take the money and run.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Art, That sounds about right. I didn't know what the number was but heard it was around $20M. If the broker in the announcement is a change from the original, maybe this is an indicator that they are having trouble finding a buyer. If we have bit of a recession they are never going to find a buyer; look at what happened to Kuku'iula and how slow that has been to develop. You can buy a home there for less that it will cost you to buy a lot at Makahuena Estates.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Back in March 2008, protesters tried to halt the construction of a new mall in Koloa full of high end, glass and stainless steel stores. The stock market crashed later that year, and the financing for the store fell through, but not until they cut down most of the monkey-pod trees. :(

75%20Kauai-L.jpg

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Art, I remember that fiasco. My mother always claimed there was a special corner of Hell for land developers like these!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As it turns out, the Great Wall of Po'ipu is a very nice place to watch the sunrise or look for whales. It's also nice at night to have a place to hold onto while gazing up at the stars.

2019-01-28%2007-22-38-L.jpg

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Big glad you aren't here. Got slammed last night with snow :5 1/2" in B'ville. Went out this morning and the blower wouldn't start! Have a Mai Tai for me!!!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks to our Ring doorbell, I can sit on the lanai, drink a mai tai, and watch a video of someone else shoveling our sidewalk. :D

Sidewalk%20snow-M.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks to our Ring doorbell, I can sit on the lanai, drink a mai tai, and watch a video of someone else shoveling our sidewalk. :D

Sidewalk%20snow-M.jpg

Thanks for the reminder of why I left MN. Living in WA now, I consider that we get just enough ice, slush, and snow to make me feel as if I've had a real winter, in contrast to the years I spent in California.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I've got a Ring doorbell too. Aren't they great?