• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Construction at the Point at Po'ipu

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Construction continues at the development in front of the Point. We are ocean-side in Bldg. 4 and yesterday could not really be in the unit it was so noisy. I think it was pretty much the same for Bldgs 3 and 6. They work from 7 AM to 6 PM.

Yesterday they were spreading what looks to be topsoil and digging a trench along the property line closest to the Point to install drain pipe. They are going to seed the area once they are done with the grading. I guess it will stay that way until any home construction begins.

You can pretty well see how this is going to shape up if homes (ever) get built. With lots priced at $3M I don't think it is going to sell very fast. It is clear that the lower units in buildings 3,4, and 6 will have no view other than the front of a house. Depending on the height of the homes any type of view from the 2nd level is in jeapordy. There will be no view from the adult spa nor the lower units in Bldg 2. Again even the second level is in jeapordy.

I did not realize how close Bldg 6 was to the property line. Right now you can't get between Building 6 and the development. The lower units of Bldg 6 will look directly into a house.

I raised the question about the effect of all this on inventories and deeds. DRI is not taking any action until homes start to be built. Apparently there is no plan of action when the homes are built, but changing the deeds involves the State of Hawaii because they decide what the view is. The question in my mind is what are they going to do when, for instance, there are not enough OF units to satisfy the number of deeds for OF units.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy back or have a lottery for the views .. then rotate EVEN year YOU get a GREAT view; ODD year you meet the neighbors OR exchange out.

Just a thought ...

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
So from april 1-dec 31 there is no construction allowed with their permit? Sounds miserable there and the future of the point at poipu looks bleak.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is no plan of action when the homes are built, but changing the deeds involves the State of Hawaii because they decide what the view is. The question in my mind is what are they going to do when, for instance, there are not enough OF units to satisfy the number of deeds for OF units.
The view category for each unit are set forth in the documents associated with the original deeds. So it makes sense that any change would involve the State of Hawaii.

Certainly one possible course of action is to leave the deeds as is, then develop a system for meting out rooms that truly are OV to those with OV reservation rights. Within the Club, DRI could increase the points values required for OF reservations. I don't know enough about the rules governing the Collection to know if the same thing could be done within the trust.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Construction continues at the development in front of the Point. We are ocean-side in Bldg. 4 and yesterday could not really be in the unit it was so noisy. I think it was pretty much the same for Bldgs 3 and 6. They work from 7 AM to 6 PM.

Going to post some pictures before you leave? It looks like the wall is going to go all the way around the development. It will block outsiders from entering the development, except through the entrance, but it will mean residents will have a long walk if they want to visit the shoreline.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only way to get to the beacon is to go into Bldg 6 and out the lower door and then walk the length of the development. More steps on the Fitbit!

Will try and get some pics today. Not much on the schedule until Cap't Andy's Sunset Sail this evening.

Blissfully quiet this morning; they aren't working today.

Paul

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the average ocean front lot sailing for in Hawaii ?

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures I took yesterday. We walked up to the beacon and I took the pictures along the way. They are working today and it is noisy. We have a bulldozer spreading top soil and a steam shovel busting rock with his scoop and then scraping it out and loading it in a dump truck. We are in Bldg 4 and the work is going on at the corner of Bldg 3 closest to Bldg 4. Hopefully I can get the pictures to attach! Any way to attach more than one at a time?

Attachments

• IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 244

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some good news: they removed the Tarp from the dust fence in front Bldgs 4 and 3 yesterday and took out the 2x4 supports that about mid-way up the framing. Hopefully they plan to take out the framing real soon.

Cheers

Paul

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 3469 The walls of Jericho came tumbling down! A "for sale" sign went up today. Apparently they are willing to sell all 10 lots for $23M. I think the Inuit Indians want to take their money and run!
I am sure they are looking for another developer to step in and deal with marketing of the lots.

They are startiing on the rock wall in front of Bldg 4, but that is not going to impact Bldg 4. I am really interested to see how they build these walls. The stone masons that are doing them are really good.

Cheers,

Paul

taffy19

Reaction score
Interesting when someone is posting the progress in real life. :)

I really hope that your resort was kept in mind when the new developer got permits from the local Authorities.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting when someone is posting the progress in real life. :)

I really hope that your resort was kept in mind when the new developer got permits from the local Authorities.
They do seem to be making an effort to be considerate. The size of the footprint for each house is restricted, and there's going to be public access parking.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
View attachment 3469I am really interested to see how they build these walls. The stone masons that are doing them are really good.
When we were in Building 6, we really enjoyed watching them fit the rocks together to build the wall.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Things are starting to wind down on the construction. They removed the rock crusher today and most of the effort now seems to be building the rock wall and spreading the "top soil". They seem to be working shorter hours as well. Most of the big equipment effort now seems to be between Bldg 3 and Makuhena.

Talked to a realtor yesterday and she she feels it will be years before any part of this development will be built on. She said that over the past five years there are very few (3) multi-milllion real estate deals a year on the island and most of those are in Kukui'ula. The other is in resort areas like Princeville or down here in Po'ipu. Going to be awhile before we need to press the panic button.

What is interesting to me is that as we talked to people around the pool and the the hot tub, there are no DRI happy campers. All they do is complain about the ability to get what they want albeit they are Platinum. Several people said they got so frustrated with Gold they bought the points to get to Platinum and are still very frustrated. I am sure the issue is the inventories, and no one has ever explained it to them. The sale people certainly won't! The sales people have sold unrealistic expectations.

Cheers,

Paul

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Yesterday they were spreading what looks to be topsoil and digging a trench along the property line closest to the Point to install drain pipe. They are going to seed the area once they are done with the grading. I guess it will stay that way until any home construction begins.

You can pretty well see how this is going to shape up if homes (ever) get built. With lots priced at $3M I don't think it is going to sell very fast. It is clear that the lower units in buildings 3,4, and 6 will have no view other than the front of a house. Depending on the height of the homes any type of view from the 2nd level is in jeapordy. There will be no view from the adult spa nor the lower units in Bldg 2. Again even the second level is in jeapordy.

I did not realize how close Bldg 6 was to the property line. Right now you can't get between Building 6 and the development. The lower units of Bldg 6 will look directly into a house.

I raised the question about the effect of all this on inventories and deeds. DRI is not taking any action until homes start to be built. Apparently there is no plan of action when the homes are built, but changing the deeds involves the State of Hawaii because they decide what the view is. The question in my mind is what are they going to do when, for instance, there are not enough OF units to satisfy the number of deeds for OF units.

Paul: Why don't you face it. The Point at Poipu has gone downhill ever since Diamond bought out Embassy. Take your losses and buy someplace on Kauai that is fully developed. One of the few wise decisions I made was unloading our oceanfront unit for a 50% loss over what we had originally paid.

Sterling

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paul: Why don't you face it. The Point at Poipu has gone downhill ever since Diamond bought out Embassy. Take your losses and buy someplace on Kauai that is fully developed. One of the few wise decisions I made was unloading our oceanfront unit for a 50% loss over what we had originally paid.

Sterling
Sterling, that is a hard decision for us. We have been coming here for since 1998 and we have a lot of friends here on the staff, not to mention the people we have met that come here at the same time we do. It is pretty much our ohana.

Our feeling is that it is going to be years before this development is populated with homes. If for some reason lots start to sell and construction starts we would definitely move elsewhere.

Cheers,

Paul

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today we walked around the new development. You can now get between the wall and Bldg 6. They have constructed a 6-8 foot wide path makai side of the wall so it is an easy walk to view the sunset. There is even a wider path (almost a road) from the beacon up to Pe'e Rd.

(Had to take a break: just saw five breeches and a few Pec Slaps. It is a mom and her calf. I got them to stop, however, I brought my camera out!)

Anyway, looking at the grading they are far from graded lots. There are several large holding ponds along the retaining wall plus a very large one along Mahkeuna Resort side. I assume they are there to contain the runoff until the land is developed. If they get heavy rains before they seed and the grasses take hold, it could be a real mess.

I am concluding that the plat is a pipe dream. There are not three lots in front of Bldg 6. They are just too narrow to build on. If you combined all three, a house could be built.

They have installed three beds of Nau Paka just to the right the right of the beacon along with some drip irrigation. There are valve boxes so I assume it all is on a timer.

The real estate sign on the front is for a bulk sale; no indication of lots for sale.

Cheers,

Paul

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sterling, that is a hard decision for us. We have been coming here for since 1998 and we have a lot of friends here on the staff, not to mention the people we have met that come here at the same time we do. It is pretty much our ohana.

Our feeling is that it is going to be years before this development is populated with homes. If for some reason lots start to sell and construction starts we would definitely move elsewhere.

Cheers,

Paul
We feel the same way. We'd still love the place and the people. When we drive up, it's like coming home. I thought things were going downhill when Embassy/Sunterra was running it, and have been improving since DRI took over. The landscaping looks better, the grill stations are great, wi-fi works better, and the electronics are up to date. The furniture is nothing special, and the kitchen cabinets are overdue for an update, but if was a condo I owned, I'm not sure I'd want to spend the money for improvements. I think Jamie does a great job with the budget the HOA gives her. I do miss her weekly owner's meetings. I wish they'd start them up again.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Art, She has started have the meetings again. I went to one the Wednesday after we arrived. She has canceled a couple, but it turned out she had to be at the Maui property.

Cheers,

Paul