*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Compensation for laundry ruined by resort washer?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by DebBrown, Apr 7, 2012.

1. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

Late to the party, but add me to the "That's a bummer, but sometimes that's the way things go" list.

2. Ridewithme38

Ridewithme38 TUG Member

Something just struck me:

I wonder how many people are saying, 'you're not due compensation' simply because it could mean their MF's going up?

3. Phydeaux

Phydeaux TUG Member

No. Labels as in those people willingly assign themselves and loved ones in an attempt to shield them from lifes outrageous unfairnesses. You know, things like grades in school, or being on the losing team.

4. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I doubt it...

Frankly, I don't think that's really a factor at all. Instead, I think that post #16 in this thread (...and no, it's not mine) really summarizes it all best and quite succinctly. In essence, briefly paraphrasing, that post correctly observes that sometimes "stuff happens" through no fault of our own --- but that does not mean that it must then somehow be the fault of someone else.

I'll add my own postscript --- when the aforementioned "stuff" in life for which we are not at fault happens, the unfortunate occurrence is not somehow automatically an entitlement to some "compensation" either...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  5. timeos2

timeos2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Lifetime Member

A direct result of the overly litigated society we have evolved into. Now days if you give someone $20 for "ruined" clothes from an unproven "problem" with a washer the HOA/Resort could find itself on the hook, due to a "precedence", for anything that occurs in a unit - even if clearly a mistake by the owner/guest. Better today to say "Sorry but we don't take responsibility for things we do not directly control" - and move on.

Thank this type of "claim" for things that should be accepted as part of any life. It sets up unreasonable expectations that anything/everything that occurs to someone is somehow the fault of someone else & the aggrieved party needs to be "compensated". Then in come the shysters more than happy to exploit the situation to their benefit & damaging virtually eveyone else.

This should be written off as a bad occurrence, the OP should take whatever precautions they feel they need in the future (none of it will change how we use washer/dryers in timeshares or at laundromats where the problem is FAR more likely to occur - we should waste the money to run an empty load before we wash ours? I don't think so!). Again, this is way too much ado about an extremely minor thing. If this is their biggest worry they have led a very sheltered life methinks.

6. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

Yep. This is exactly where I'm at.

7. hypnotiq

hypnotiq TUG Member

+1. Towels first then everything else. :)

8. pjrose

pjrose Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Two potential posts:

1. Bummer, sorry your clothes got wrecked. I doubt there'll be compensation, though. (focus on the topics of wrecked clothes and compensation, states opinion without insult or judging the poster)
    2. You are expecting compensation for something that wasn't the resort's fault. Deal with it and stop complaining. (focus on previous poster, insulting tone)

When posters move from discussing the topic/query of the original post to discussing the person posting, posts can become less courteous. This is similar to discussing/arguing with another person. Use of "you" makes the discussion/argument accusatory and less effective, as in "I don't like it when..." vs "You....".

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Now this brings up a question in my mind.

If you are charged for using the machines, then would it be considered a service for payment and, wouldn't the expectations standard be higher? If I'm having to pay to use a washer/dryer I would think the standard of care/maintenance would be higher and, the possiblity of being responsible for damges greater to the resort.

If the service is provided as a convenience only, the risk might be lower and thus the standard for liability lower or use at your own risk.

10. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Comment from DW --
    "When I do a load of laundry after you or someone else, I always check the washer+dryer for residue+stuff."

Me -- "Life isn't fair."
    How do we know that life isn't fair?
    If life was fair... then _this_ is what fairness would be.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  11. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

You can make this into your platform about whether or not we sue at the drop of a hat if you want.

My perspective is that when I pay to stay somewhere I expect it to meet my expectations. If something goes wrong I want it to be fixed. If something goes wrong and I'm out of pocket, I want my money/property back the way I started. Tell me why that expectation is unreasonable. Your argument about "stuff happens" doesn't make sense to me.

Now, if I'm staying at a friends condo or beach house for free I have a totally different view on this topic, just like I do in my own house. It's the contract of paying for service that makes me want to be compensated, not the event.

12. DebBrown

DebBrown TUG Lifetime Member

I thought you'd all be interested in the resolution. The resort is a Starwood property and I got a call today offering me points as compensation. I thought this was generous and I appreciate their prompt attention to this.

It is probably easier for a Starwood property to hand out points than it would be for a small independent to offer cash. It was a nice gesture.

Deb

13. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

And gesture it was. No admission of responsibility, no cost to them to make you feel like a satisfied guest. And no compensation for ruined clothes- which I thought was the initial complaint. Works for me.

Jim

14. pjrose

pjrose Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Does that work for you? Can you use the points, and did you find the value of the points adequate?

15. DebBrown

DebBrown TUG Lifetime Member

Huh, I didn't realize you were listening in on the phone call. Please do not tell me what was or was not said.

PJ, we do use spg points and the amount offered reflects the value of the damaged clothes. I am satisfied and happy to put the matter behind us.

Deb

16. ace2000

ace2000 TUG Member

Deb, thanks for letting us know. If you're happy with the outcome that's all that really matters. And by sharing your ordeal with us, we can all learn from it. Thanks again for keeping us informed throughout the process.

17. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Well, it's better than nothing. At least they want to do something in an effort to keep guests happy.

18. Liz Wolf-Spada

Liz Wolf-Spada Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Well, I do take some of my favorite clothes on vacation and would be very upset if they were ruined. I guess I'll join the throw in towels or something first group.
    Liz

19. CarolF

CarolF TUG Member

Excellent outcome. I'm pleased it worked out for you.

20. Ridewithme38

Ridewithme38 TUG Member

How is this not Compensation for the ruined clothes? Points, Nights, Dollars, New Clothes, these are all forms of compensation...

I'm glad they took responsibility and it worked out for you Deb!

21. chrispy08

chrispy08 Guest

I can't believe I let my curiosity get the better of me and I wasted 10 minutes of my life reading 95 posts about laundry problems!

22. Timeshare Von

Timeshare Von TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
    Lifetime in Hawaii (floating 1-52 annual week)
    Me too . . . and I also learned something that hopefully will prevent me from having a bad laundry experience in a timeshare or rental cottage stay in the future.

23. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Hey, clothing is an important aspect of our lives.
    How'd you like to go around wearing spotted apparel? :eek:

24. Mel

Mel TUG Member

Actually, in the cases mentioned the insurance company denying compensation to someone else does in fact mean they believe you are not liable. That's the whole point of insurance - the claim is paid by insurer of the person responsible (unless you're in a no-fault state). In the case of the driver who thought someone else was responsible, he own insurance would end up paying the claim.
    You're not the only one to notice. Part of it may just be a matter of perspective and impressions. So much communication is done by texting and short soundbites that people don't communicate as well.

You're correct, people have become selfish and arrogant. But that can be applied to both "sides" of this argument. What I see is a new generation which is used to finding fault, and not used to the idea of personal responsibility. If there is something wrong with the washer, and the last occupant informed the resort, they should inform the guest(s), or remove the offending washer. Otherwise, the guests should use care when operating shared appliances.

I won't say whether I think compensation is due, because we don't know the full details of why the clothing was damaged. This is no different than murder cases being tried in the court of public opinion. If the clothing was of significant value, the OP could file a claim with her own insurance, or perhaps even a travel insurance policy. You would be surprised what some policies cover (of course too many claims results in a poor claim history, and higher premiums).