*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Comp gurus ?? Do too many stored pics slow my comp??

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by TUGfan, Jul 20, 2010.

1. TUGfan

TUGfan Guest

Do I have too many pictures stored on my computer????

I have over 13,000 pictures stored. I actually have them on my PC, laptop, CD-R discs, and in my Shutterfly account for virtual backup. I am concerned they may be slowing down my computer.

The pictures are JPG files. My computer has 2.0 GB of memory. I regularly run disk cleanup and defrag. I have very few other documents in memory.

I would appreciate the opinion of the TUG computer gurus.

Thanks very much for your expert opinions!

2. RedDogSD

RedDogSD TUG Member

Absolutely not. Bits are bits. A picture, a text file, a document of any kind is just bits of data to the computer. It will never slow down the system except when it is trying to access the data. If you are doing defrags and other things to clean it up, I assure you that the degredation is minimal.

I have a lot more than 13,000 pictures. I also have over 1000 full length movies, 10,000 electronic books and other things stored on drives.

What slows the computer down are small applications that are running on your computer that you don't know are there. Hit Control+Alt+Delete some time and take a look at all of the crap running in the Task Manager. That is what is slowing you down.

My advice. Get a Mac. They don't slow down. You can get a lot more years of use from them.

3. mas

mas TUG Lifetime Member

The only way the # of pics stored on your computer would affect the cpu speed is if your disk is nearly full--and it would have to be the system disk (i.e your c: drive as that is where the swap file is). In that case, swapping from memory to disk, and vice versa, would be inefficient. Other than that I can think of no reason why any amount of stored disk files would affect computer speed.

4. camachinist

camachinist TUG Member

In the old days, processor speed was a limiting factor when decompressing (or compressing) certain image files (JPEG is an example). The compression/decompression took time, which 'slowed' things down a bit. That's rarely an issue these days.

Since I use an 'older' (six years old) Mac, I note 'slowness' primarily when decompressing some video (not picture) files for viewing. I see it primarily in .wmv and .flv files. Mpeg's and MP4's usually do well.

Yeah, I've got a couple terabytes of stuff stored on the network and, generally, the computers don't care. To them it's all bits.

5. tompalm

tompalm TUG Member

2.0 GB of memory is a problem. If you want it to go faster, get 4 GB of memory or more, and if you are running Windows vista, you really should have 4 GBs

6. Numismatist

Numismatist TUG Member

There had been some evidence that pictures stored on folders located on your desktop do cause the computer to slow down. Upon loading your desktop, it needs to go through everything on your desktop.

If you have them, move any folders on your desktop to a folder somewhere else.