• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Club Intrawest sells Hawaii units

smbrannan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received an email containing the following announcement..

NOTICE ABOUT CLUB INTRAWEST — KAUAI

For some time we, as Club Management, have been attempting to expand the services and amenities available at Club Intrawest — Kauai in order to offer Members a more authentic Club Intrawest vacation experience. Over the years we have explored various possibilities but none have come to fruition. Recently, the Pahio resort, where Club Intrawest — Kauai is located, was purchased by a third party who also offered to purchase the 10 Club Intrawest Vacation Homes. After much consideration and taking into account Member feedback and high operating costs, the Board of Directors decided to take advantage of this opportunity and approve the substitution of the Kauai Vacation Homes for Vacation Homes in other locations.

This means that Club Intrawest Members will now have additional access to other Club Intrawest locations, including Zihuatanejo. Zihuatanejo is now our most sought after destination and Members will see additional availability immediately. There will be no change in services available at Club Intrawest — Kauai through April 13th, 2008 and Members are encouraged to enjoy the Kauai location until that date. After this date we are confident that our partnerships with RCI and Hilton Grand Vacations Clubs can satisfy Member demand for Hawaii vacations. At the same time, we will continue to assess potential opportunities for other warm weather Club destinations.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I got this too. I'm glad they got rid of the Hawaii units - friends of ours who also own CI points have been there, and said they were not up to par with other CI units, which isn't surprising considering they were not part of an Intrawest-built resort.

I also could not see justifying the number of CI points required to ever stay there, when I could exchange into a much nicer property in Hawaii through II for a lot less points.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I got this too. I'm glad they got rid of the Hawaii units - friends of ours who also own CI points have been there, and said they were not up to par with other CI units, which isn't surprising considering they were not part of an Intrawest-built resort.

I also could not see justifying the number of CI points required to ever stay there, when I could exchange into a much nicer property in Hawaii through II for a lot less points.
Everything you're saying is true. There is just one thing I do not like about it not being a CI resort. That is if you needed to make a change to your reservation, you can do that at CI locations for a small fee. If you need to make a change to a RCI, II or HGVC exchange, you are out of luck.

Bill4728

Reaction score
CI has already dropped Kauai from their lists of resorts on the CI website.

smbrannan

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I'd like to know is how much the 10 units in Kauai sold for, and how many new units were added to inventory to replace them?

How do the members know that the value of the units sold is equal to the value of the units added. Seems to me that Hawaii units are more valuable than units in Mexico. So a straight swap might not be in the best interests of the members.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
What I'd like to know is how much the 10 units in Kauai sold for, and how many new units were added to inventory to replace them?

How do the members know that the value of the units sold is equal to the value of the units added. Seems to me that Hawaii units are more valuable than units in Mexico. So a straight swap might not be in the best interests of the members.

I'm not sure that Hawaii units are more valuable, especially since there are relatively few quality resorts in Zihua.

I may be wrong about this, but my assumption is that CI is not adding actual physical inventory (in the sense of building more units), but rather reassigning existing inventory to CI owners from rentals or units given to RCI for exchanges. There is some construction going on at Palm Desert - and maybe a few other locations - but they wouldn't be "available immediately" as stated in the announcement. So the only other way to increase availability is to take it from that currently being offered to someone else.

smbrannan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Hawaii units are more valuable, especially since there are relatively few quality resorts in Zihua.

I may be wrong about this, but my assumption is that CI is not adding actual physical inventory (in the sense of building more units), but rather reassigning existing inventory to CI owners from rentals or units given to RCI for exchanges. There is some construction going on at Palm Desert - and maybe a few other locations - but they wouldn't be "available immediately" as stated in the announcement. So the only other way to increase availability is to take it from that currently being offered to someone else.

You may be right about Hawaii being less valuable than Zi. I've never been to either location, but I know that Hawaii is a premier destination and Zi is much less attractive. It's possible that the Zi units are higher quality than those in Kauai, and that this balances everything out.

But the point is that CI didn't really give enough info to be sure.

I agree that the new inventory will be transferred from non CI inventory currently owned by the developer (Intrawest).