• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Classified hasn't helped me yet

SmoketreeOwner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smoketree Lodge
I posted my For Sale classified a year ago and haven't received any interested buyers so far.
I listed it for $1 and I will pay the fees this year, so it's no cost.
I've read the BBS and guides, etc. and I've been patient (I think).
What else can I do (or do better) to get this sold?

Thanks.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted my For Sale classified a year ago and haven't received any interested buyers so far.

Thanks.
Did you post it in the baragin deals forum? If not, I'd try that as well.

SmoketreeOwner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smoketree Lodge
It's in My Classifieds, so I'm guessing it's only listed in the marketplace.
How do I post my listing in that forum?

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

The more places you list the better. As stated by the other poster, go to Bargain Deals and post a "new thread" with as much info as possible. Many have been successful giving away their timeshares on the Bargain Forums.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/bargain-deals.55/

I have also been successful on Craigslist with giving away blue, white and red season weeks.

There are other places to list timeshares like www.myresortnetwork.com and www.redweek.com. They are not free and your success will be dependent on what is offered. I really don't think a "freebie" timeshare will get much notice on Redweek though and especially if no interest has been received on your TUG listing over the last year.

I do believe that the Bargain deals could potentially garner some interest. Be sure to bump up the posting often to keep it where folks will see it. Promote the fact that you've paid the 2017 maintenance fee. If it floats, you might want to secure a higher demand week while the availability is good. If it's a fixed low season week, what are the positives or potential things one can do in the area or at resort during the time period of your week. There's lots of $1 timeshares. Let folks know why yours is a good deal at that price.

Good luck with your timeshare giveaway.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It's hard to give away less than prime locations/weeks. In some cases it may be impossible. There is a reason why disposal companies charge $2000+ to do it and that is knowing that they get some prime to offset it.

If you have any pictures -flattering ones of the unit and the area. If you have any banked time you can throw in an exchange or two also along with this years usage. Ideally you want to find someone who could use and enjoy the week not just someone who is taking it for the freebies. When Denise gave away a fairly prime Branson week with fairly low MF's, she reposed every couple of weeks with new pictures and ideas for how to use the week both locally and with various exchange companies. At the same time you may want to write to the board every other month updating them on your efforts to find a new owner and asking for them to take back the week.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Is there a Resort OWNERS Facebook page specifically for your resort? If so, post it on there as well. And try E Bay. And- join Timeshare Resort Owners Group Facebook page and list it there as well.

If worse comes to worse, if it were me, I might just pay money to get rid of it- within reason. Add up the maintenance fees you have to pay every year and it might be worth it.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can only speak from the perspective of someone who has been the recipient of weeks from the Bargain Basement in the marketplace and from the Bargain Deals forum. When I got my unit from the Bargain Basement, it was for a location that I was specifically hunting for. The unit from the Bargain Deals forum wasn't a location that I necessarily had in mind. I find that I am constantly checking into the Bargain Deals forum because I read about and become familiar with places that I might not have considered and didn't even know about. Both weeks I took had the seller paying all of the closing costs and there was no fee for the unit. One unit has the seller paying the 2017 MF.

So, I feel like the Bargain Deals forum gets more traffic. I could be wrong, but again, that's just my perspective and how I use it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't see an ad for the resort listed in your profile in the TUG Marketplace. I do believe that ads expire after a period of time. Definitely post it in the Bargain Deals forum as well as in the TUG Marketplace. Be sure to sell your resort. Post pictures and list any affiliations. Is the resort affiliated with VRI and can you do any kind of internal exchanges with it? Tell people how you have used it in the past, what kind of trades have you gotten with it.

Have you contacted the management company or HOA to see if they have any means to advertise your week to other owners. While it may be hard to find someone on TUG, other owners may want to get a second week for free. Is there a newsletter where people can indicate their intention to give away their week. Also, you may have to be willing to give away free usage like paying a year of MFs while giving the buyer the usage for that year.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
id look up your ad, but there is no TUG membership under the email used to register here on the forums :(

the strategy of "cancellation" companies these days is to take a portion of your massive upfront fee and offer it as an additional "visa gift card" to a buyer.

the price range ive seen from 200 dollars, to more than 500 dollars as a bonus to attract a buyer.

if ANYONE is looking to buy at your resort, a completely free week plus a visa gift card is certainly going to put yours at the top of the list.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
This is on the same subject Classified ads. Regarding TUG Exchanges. I have been successful in making a few exchanges with other tug members. Although, the majority of ad are not flexible. Folks asking for nearly impossible exchanges. I understand that schedules of school, work, commitments etc. but if you can be a bit more flexible these could work out. I think this is the best way to exchange. Especially with the exchange fees that increase all the time. I love my timeshares but enjoy going other places sometimes.
Silentg

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
it really is one of the best values of a TUG membership, even if the chances of finding that trade are low....there is no risk in posting what you have and what you are looking for!

who knows, perhaps you might even find a match for a trade a year or two down the road!

post your week for direct exchange today! http://tug2.com/MarketplaceClassifiedWarningsTerms.aspx

SmoketreeOwner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smoketree Lodge
I don't see an ad for the resort listed in your profile in the TUG Marketplace. I do believe that ads expire after a period of time. Definitely post it in the Bargain Deals forum as well as in the TUG Marketplace. Be sure to sell your resort. Post pictures and list any affiliations. Is the resort affiliated with VRI and can you do any kind of internal exchanges with it? Tell people how you have used it in the past, what kind of trades have you gotten with it.

Have you contacted the management company or HOA to see if they have any means to advertise your week to other owners. While it may be hard to find someone on TUG, other owners may want to get a second week for free. Is there a newsletter where people can indicate their intention to give away their week. Also, you may have to be willing to give away free usage like paying a year of MFs while giving the buyer the usage for that year.

The listing was being updated last weekend so it may not have been "live" when you checked. its there now.

SmoketreeOwner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smoketree Lodge
id look up your ad, but there is no TUG membership under the email used to register here on the forums :(

the strategy of "cancellation" companies these days is to take a portion of your massive upfront fee and offer it as an additional "visa gift card" to a buyer.

the price range ive seen from 200 dollars, to more than 500 dollars as a bonus to attract a buyer.

if ANYONE is looking to buy at your resort, a completely free week plus a visa gift card is certainly going to put yours at the top of the list.

I am not sure what's missing...I am a TUG member.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not sure what's missing...I am a TUG member.
It seems that the email you used to register for the forums at tugbbs.com is different than the email you are using for the membership side at TUG2.net.

SmoketreeOwner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smoketree Lodge
It seems that the email you used to register for the forums at tugbbs.com is different than the email you are using for the membership side at TUG2.net.

OK, thanks. Is that a problem? How can i verify this and/or fix it?

SmoketreeOwner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smoketree Lodge
it really is one of the best values of a TUG membership, even if the chances of finding that trade are low....there is no risk in posting what you have and what you are looking for!

who knows, perhaps you might even find a match for a trade a year or two down the road!

post your week for direct exchange today! http://tug2.com/MarketplaceClassifiedWarningsTerms.aspx

BTW...how can I upload photos to my classified ad or bargain basement posting? is that possible?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't know specifically, but you can edit the email address in either system somehow so they both match.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

I cant fix it without knowing your name...or membership email =)

you could fix it by changing the email address to match...but thats not a requirement...you can use any email address you like...im just not able to look up your membership information.

if you want you can just email me at tug@tug2.net with your membership email address and ill look up the ad.

just as a suggestion, make sure its listed for $1...and that you are mentioning in the ad that you are willing to pay closing costs.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
BTW...how can I upload photos to my classified ad or bargain basement posting? is that possible?

you can upload photos to the resort review page directly yes, they will be avilable for anyone viewing the page (or ads for that resort).

id provide a direct link, but still dont know what ad/resort we are discussing =D

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
you can upload photos to the resort review page directly yes, they will be avilable for anyone viewing the page (or ads for that resort).

id provide a direct link, but still dont know what ad/resort we are discussing =D

Brian, if you look up Smoketree Lodge his ad is the second one for $1, week 42. The other one is $10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and id edit the title to mention the free closing/2017 fees paid at the start!