*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Claiming a timeshare sale 1099-S form on my turbotax

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by ada903, Jan 27, 2011.

1. ada903

ada903 TUG Member

Does anyone know where to properly claim the 1099-S timeshare sale on my tax return using Turbotax software? It is not a home sale or an investment so I am not sure which category to file it under! Thanks!

2. Dave H

Dave H TUG Member

First the usual.... not a tax accountant.... but I think there is a specific form for the sale of real estate that gets filed as part of the tax return. you might want to check www.irs.gov it might be done as part of Schedule "D" but again, not sure of exactly where.

3. ada903

ada903 TUG Member

That's what i found on the internet too, that you have to use schedule D, but not sure where on turbotax online to find that.. I'll keep digging. Thanks Dave

4. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

In a sense, it is the sale of a "home," just not a principal residence.

I'm using TaxAct online this year (I find it better suits my needs), but if memory serves, one can bring up a complete list of Forms and Schedules in TurboTax thru a tab or link on the menu line.

5. janej

janej Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Do you have to include all timeshare sales in your tax? I've never received 1099 for timeshare sales and have not made any profit on any either.

6. ada903

ada903 TUG Member

If you received a form 1099S, you must report the sale. I think even if you don't receive one, you must report the sale. The profit is taxable. If you made a loss however, you cannot claim a deduction for the loss, unless you argue the property was an investment.

I ended up putting it under investment income, specifying that it was a personal use item and not an investment, after searching Q&A's on this topic.

7. Miss Marty

Miss Marty TUG Member

Form 1099-S 'Proceeds From Real Estate Transactions'

IRS Publication 523

If the 1099-S was for a timeshare or vacation home:

The property would be considered a personal capital asset to you and the sale would be reportable on Federal Schedule D. A gain on this sale is reportable income. If you incurred a loss on the sale you are not allowed to deduct this loss since it is personal use property. For inherited property the asset would be considered investment property and the capital gain or loss would be reported on Schedule D. If you have a loss the IRS will be looking for the sale to be reported on your return, so you would enter a cost equal to the sales price so that the gain/loss reported is zero.

8. Mel

Mel TUG Member

If you inherit it, and sell it, it is considered investment property. However, if you use it yourself once you inherit it, it is converted to personal use property. Unless you purchase a timeshare for the specific purpose of renting it out, and do so on a regular basis, you'll be hard pressed to convince the IRS it's an investment property so you can claim a loss. Also remember, if you claim it as an investment property you have to recapture allowed depreciation (whether you claimed it or not). You'll also have trouble claiming it as rental property if you didn't report the income from it each year on schedule D.

9. Rent_Share

Rent_Share Guest

IMHO the prior rental income,expenses and "depreciation" would have ne on a schedule C