• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chinese invasions...

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am admittedly a bit of computer dunce and may not even understand the answers, but I will ask the questions anyhow. Recently (including today, right now) there have been dozens of spam posts all appearing together overnight on the TUG BBS with mostly Chinese characters, but with some English usually included somewhere in the thread title. My questions:

What is it about the new XenForo software that attracts / allows / facilitates these "Chinese invasions"? Certainly easy enough to ignore and report, and quite promptly and effectively dealt with by the ever-capable TUG Gurus, but...

How or why would such a spamming effort even be undertaken --- in Chinese --- in the first place? Why bother to spam in a foreign language which is completely indecipherable to almost everyone seeing that spam? What am I missing here? :shrug::confused::shrug:

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's likely happening by bots. They are just hoping that spam posting will eventually hit someone. They are not targeting Tug. They are targeting every forum that allows them to post. The most frustrated thing about these bots is that once they find a place that posting works (don't have to be official member to post, etc), suddenly many more join in the fun.

Normally, I can easily pass over those posts, but there are so many today that it's too much work for me to look for real threads.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not going to use this site until this is fixed
It's likely happening by bots. They are just hoping that spam posting will eventually hit someone. They are not targeting Tug. They are targeting every forum that allows them to post. The most frustrated thing about these bots is that once they find a place that posting works (don't have to be official member to post, etc), suddenly many more join in the fun.

Normally, I can easily pass over those posts, but there are so many today that it's too much work for me to look for real threads.

This needs to be reported to the federal government.
I am not going to open or use this web site for the next 72 hours. So I am signing off until the next 72 hours. Good night!

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, what happened to those posts??? I was interested in one of them... any chance we could retrieve the one regarding the University of Nigeria??? :)

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if you click the report link, an admin or moderator will address the issue as soon as possible.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just implemented a few spambot security questions to the registration process, see if that curbs the nightly chinese invasion.

also flagged a few chinese characters in our spam phrase section, so hopefully it will catch and prevent posts from making it to the forum even if they do get registered.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
if you click the report link, an admin or moderator will address the issue as soon as possible.

Also, a reminder that it makes the admin/moderators jobs easier if you ONLY send a report and don't ALSO respond in the thread. Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not going to use this site until this is fixed

This needs to be reported to the federal government.
I am not going to open or use this web site for the next 72 hours. So I am signing off until the next 72 hours. Go night!
I seriously hope you are kidding? Who at the federal government do you expect to really do anything about this? Hilarious!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I seriously hope you are kidding? Who at the federal government do you expect to really do anything about this? Hilarious!

I have faith in Brain and Makai Guy that they were going to solve this problem.:thumbup:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Pedro - What are your concerns?

Also, it appears that you posted this at about 9 am Eastern?
pedro47, Today at 5:58 AM (Pacific)

And then wrote "Go night" - "Good night" - I am assuming?

What am I missing here?

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
[I know, I know, but not even political jokes, please.]

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM, Brain has fixed the problem and all is well

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
haha...i hope ive fixed it at least...we will find out if the next few mornings are chinese hacker free!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
DeniseM, Brain has fixed the problem and all is well

I just wanted to assure you that looking at the titles of spam posts puts you at no risk.

To my knowledge, there is no one in the Federal government that we can report spam to.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two (2) Chinese spams on the board this morning.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
just implemented a few spambot security questions to the registration process, see if that curbs the nightly chinese invasion.

also flagged a few chinese characters in our spam phrase section, so hopefully it will catch and prevent posts from making it to the forum even if they do get registered.
Here are some more characters for the spam filter.

微信/Q405664 716办.理.毕.業.証.成.績.单.學*+真实认*証100%可查

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Posting here is a waste of time - both yours and ours. By the time anyone on the staff sees a post here they will already have taken care of the posts that have been reported by the preferred method, i.e. clicking on the report link on the bottom of the problem post.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

If Brian's initial spam filters hadn't worked you would have seen 15+, so things are improving. :)

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Notice this happens more late at night. Is thats when the bots come out in full force? Have been reticent to send a Report when I see them presuming Mods are less active (people gotta sleep yo!).

Note that, for me personally, I seem to have a learning curve related to the use of the Report feature. Gratefully, a very kind Mod is schooling me, which I very much appreciate. :thumbup:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
China is on the other side of the world ... our midnight is there HIGH NOON ....more or less.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
added a few more of the common chinese letters above to the spam filter, thank you!

taffy19

Reaction score
I woke up during the night and noticed a few other SPAM messages besides the Chinese ones so reported them. The only problem is that you have to read the message to be able to report it or is there another way?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
there really is no risk to just opening a thread, provided you dont click on any links within it etc.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Have been reticent to send a Report when I see them presuming Mods are less active (people gotta sleep yo!).
Mods get a Reports link when they log in which takes them to a list of reported posts that have not yet been resolved. So all those posts reported in the wee small hours do get reviewed by the first mod that logs in with the new day. Go ahead and report them -- it's not like it'll set off an alarm by our bedsides or anything.