• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase Sapphire Reserve CC for MF

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well it is trending in other forums :). I applied for Sapphire Reserve card last week, got approved and waiting for the physical card. I already have Saphire Preferred CC and it classifies all MF as travel and usually get 2 points. With Saphire Reserve , we will get 3 points per $ and also get $300 credit. Chase will also credit $85 for TSA Pre and access to airport lounges + 100K points, there was no reason not to upgrade.

Looking at our 2015 spending summary from Sphire Pref, we spent well over 20K on travel, so this card make sense.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
There's a long thread on this topic here already...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that 12 HHonors points/Dollar is a better deal (even if valued at $0.004/point you are talking about ~5% value, but it is probably more).

3*1.5 = 4.5% value.

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that 12 HHonors points/Dollar is a better deal (even if valued at $0.004/point you are talking about ~5% value, but it is probably more).

3*1.5 = 4.5% value.

I do have the HH card but Chase ultimate rewards points are great for travel booking ( AirTicket / Rental Cars ). Besides we dont use the HH points to stay at hotels as we mostly use TS resorts. I just booked 15 days rental car from Dec 15 - 30 at Big Island via Chase UR site. The price I got was far better than any other site ( Costco, Direct car rentals, UA mileage plus etc etc ).

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We do a mix of timeshare and hotels for our vacations. Since i already generate quite a few HHonors points from work travel, i like to the Amex card as a way to supplement our rewards. As my business travel has declined, the card also provides a way to maintain my diamond status if i spend enough.

I don't think there is a single perfect rewards card for everyone. If you don't otherwise stay with Hilton or fly with a certain airline i can see where the Sapphire or other non-program specific cards make sense.

annac113

Reaction score
best of all is that the $300 credit is per calendar year :)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
best of all is that the $300 credit is per calendar year :)

But, Chase does not give you Diamond Status based on spending. I don't stay very frequently in Hiltons so I like using the Amex Hilton to get Diamond. YMMV.

In full disclosure, I also have the Saphyre...

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
But, Chase does not give you Diamond Status based on spending. I don't stay very frequently in Hiltons so I like using the Amex Hilton to get Diamond. YMMV.

In full disclosure, I also have the Saphyre...

I like the Amex for Diamond status as well. I stay in hotels enough for work or vacation that i find great benefit from that. I am looking at the Sapphire, but already have a quite a few cards and don't spread my spend too much that i don't maximize the rewards from each..

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Amex for Diamond status as well. I stay in hotels enough for work or vacation that i find great benefit from that. I am looking at the Sapphire, but already have a quite a few cards and don't spread my spend too much that i don't maximize the rewards from each..

For me, the couple of stays I have in Hilton (10-20) are enough reason. The perks are not top of the industry, but it is good to have them based on a spending limit. I think point redemption is for the most part outrageous. I do like points and cash...

simon.fisher.2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully paid their Hilton maint fees and had it qualify for the $300 benefit? I need to use my benefit before the end of the calendar year

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully paid their Hilton maint fees and had it qualify for the $300 benefit? I need to use my benefit before the end of the calendar year

It does qualify for the $300 benefit. I got the credit for my Flamingo maintenance fee this past statement.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
That is great news! Is it possible to split payments in the system or do we need to call it in? i.e. we just qualified for the Chase Sapphire Reserve and this rebate is available every calendar year. Here are two scenarios:

1) Pay $300 Sapphire Reserve in 2016 (get $300 rebate + 3x points) ; Pay balance with HHonors card (get 12x) = net $300 credit + Chase and HH points
2) Pay $300 Sapphire Reserve in 2016 (get $300 rebate + 3x points) ; Pay $300 Sapphire Reserve on Jan 2 2017 (get $300 rebate + 3x points) + Bal on HHonors card = Net $600 rebates + 3x ($600) + HH 12x bal.

I may get one of these cards too...

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got a second one for my wife. Between the 2 cards, we get $1200 credit for MF ( 2016 /2017 ) for $900 fee + 200 K points which is worth $2000 OR $3000 in travel . Chase Ultimate rewards site is great for booking air tickets / rental cars. The price I got for 15 day rental car in Big Island during this Christmas was nearly 3/4th from other sites including Costco.

Another card we have is 2 of the Alaska airline CC which offers a companion air ticket every year. We use it for our next trip to Big Island in Dec. With Alaska buying Virgin America, we may see a lot more travel options to use the companion ticket / miles.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another card we have is 2 of the Alaska airline CC which offers a companion air ticket every year. We use it for our next trip to Big Island in Dec. With Alaska buying Virgin America, we may see a lot more travel options to use the companion ticket / miles.

We have 2 of the Chase Hyatt Visa. This gets 2 nights at sign-up and 1 night/year ongoing. This is well worth the $95 fee for the card as we've found the Hyatts to be very nice in the places we go.

Then we split with her going Hilton for Diamond based on spend and me having Amex Platinum for Centurion Lounge access and Sapphire for the reasons mentioned here.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We were able to avoid the $40k spend by taking advantage of the Diamond match promo that is good until Mar 2018 from our IHG card platinum status. When that expires we will have to re-evaluate whether foregoing $400 (1% * 40k) to spend on that card versus simply using a 2% cash card like Fidelity might be a better way to go. We do enjoy the Diamond status and have been regularly upgraded, however wondering if Gold (from our W 57 timeshare) will accomplish the same upgrades at the hotels.

We like the Hyatt's as well and have found that cash + points from Chase Sapphire points and free stays at Intercontinental from IHG cards are better for expensive city visits.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were able to avoid the $40k spend by taking advantage of the Diamond match promo that is good until Mar 2018 from our IHG card platinum status. When that expires we will have to re-evaluate whether foregoing $400 (1% * 40k) to spend on that card versus simply using a 2% cash card like Fidelity might be a better way to go. We do enjoy the Diamond status and have been regularly upgraded, however wondering if Gold (from our W 57 timeshare) will accomplish the same upgrades at the hotels.

We like the Hyatt's as well and have found that cash + points from Chase Sapphire points and free stays at Intercontinental from IHG cards are better for expensive city visits.

I'm also not convinced that Diamond is necessary. I think we do it now more out of habit. As Diamond one does get Executive Lounge access (where available) even if not upgraded to the Executive floor. This has happened to us very rarely. Maybe too rarely to be useful.

The Amex Platinum is worth more to be as it has the aforementioned Centurion Lounge access, Starwood Gold- which now matches permanently to Marriott Gold, which has some quite good perks, and a Global Boingo account, among other things.

What is nice about Sapphire is that the Priority Pass card comes with free guests (unlike Amex Platinum)...up to 9 such guests, I was recently told :)

Cheers.

simon.fisher.2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this forum - used the $300 benefit for 2016 for my wife and I... next statement I will use it for 2017... Maint fees are almost paid. Awesome feeling!

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this forum - used the $300 benefit for 2016 for my wife and I... next statement I will use it for 2017... Maint fees are almost paid. Awesome feeling!

Wait till 200,000 points hit the account worth $3000 in travel between the 2 cards :) . Priority Pass will also come handy during long lay overs.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We paid $300 when the card arrived and the travel credit was immediately issued. Will pay another $300 after the December statement closes as this will count for 2017 travel credit. $600 toward maint fee now. $450 for annual fee not due until Nov 2017. Nice to have an interest free loan of $450 for 12 months plus $150 cash now toward maintenance.

BTW....This card also provides 3x with Uber and has emergency medical evacuation insurance, and trip cancellation insurance included.

I wonder how the trip cancellation would value a cancellation within 30 days of an HGVC reservation in case of illness? If you pay taxes or fees with the card for a trip, it technically should be covered.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We paid $300 when the card arrived and the travel credit was immediately issued. Will pay another $300 after the December statement closes as this will count for 2017 travel credit. $600 toward maint fee now. $450 for annual fee not due until Nov 2017. Nice to have an interest free loan of $450 for 12 months plus $150 cash now toward maintenance.

BTW....This card also provides 3x with Uber and has emergency medical evacuation insurance, and trip cancellation insurance included.

I wonder how the trip cancellation would value a cancellation within 30 days of an HGVC reservation in case of illness? If you pay taxes or fees with the card for a trip, it technically should be covered.
I thought the annual fee for the first year was due right away?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Good question. Our first statement closed in November and it was not on the bill. Will let you know if it shows up in December.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It is on your first statement. But what OP was saying, he paid the $450 annual fee, but got back $300 immediately with the same first bill by booking travel (MFs are consider Travel) for the 2016 annual refund, then a month later when january billing cycle begins the will receive a $300 immediate travel refund for 2017 annual cycle, for additional MF payments paid in late dec or early Jan.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
OP was saying, he paid the $450 annual fee, but got back $300 immediately with the same first bill by booking travel (MF's) for the 2016 annual refund, then a month later when January billing cycle begins, he will receive a $300 immediate travel refund for 2017 annual cycle, for additional MF payments paid in late Dec or early Jan.

This is what got me to pull the trigger last night... Even if it doesn't come in time to use for the December bill, with ~$3,200 in MF's due soon, the bonus points and points-earned alone will be a big help in getting us to and from Alaska next August.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
This is what got me to pull the trigger last night... Even if it doesn't come in time to use for the December bill, with ~$3,200 in MF's due soon, the bonus points and points-earned alone will be a big help in getting us to and from Alaska next August.

My card arrived within 2 days of approval. They courier the card. Logon to Chase (if you have one) and you can you try some travel charge or partial MF charge and see if you will get some credit this year. It is almost instantaneous. Once Travel is no longer pending, but actually posts, the credit was issued and on the account. Don't know if you have enough time in the year as my first cycle was 45 days. I don't know, but I would try.

I applied late Oct. I have already received my annual credit for 2016, just waiting for the last bill to close to spend for 2017 MF and annual credit.