• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Charter Club at Naples bay successfully removed sunset clause!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this is the actual first confirmed report (although i am sure there are others) of a resort successfully being able to remove the "self destruct" or "sunset clause" which would result in the resort ceasing function as a Timeshare at a fixed date in the future. (in this case, 2020)

I received this email from a member today and am passing it along here as a post on the forums

The Charter Club of Naples Bay had a self-destruct clause for Jan. 2020. On Dec. 7th , 2016, at the Annual board meeting there was a greater than 50% proxy vote to update the covenants from requiring a vote in 2020 to renew the timeshare to the timeshare will automatically renew every 10 years. I want to note that Diamond manages the resort and owns close to 50% of the units.

absolutely outstanding job by owners in accomplishing this!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sounds like Diamond was likely the big voter behind this. I doubt they would have met the quorum and 50% without DRIs near 50% ownership.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
50% owned by DRI ??? Where this number come from ?
The unsold inventory at Charter Club has been added to the US Collection when DRI acquired Island One in 2013.
From the 2014 Annual US Collection report, there was 8.2 units of the 33 units in the US Collection (around 25%).
From the 2015 Annual US Collection report, there was 5.8 units of the 32 units in the US Collection (around 18%). There is many strange number in the 2015 report.
From a list published a month ago on DRI Facebook Group by a DRI member, there is 460 weeks of the 33*51=1683 weeks in the US Collection (around 27%). I don't know why they use 51 weeks in place on 52 weeks. May be there is 1 week per year that the resort is totally close for maintenance.
So, how DRI can own 50% of the inventory at Charter Club ?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I don't know why they use 51 weeks in place on 52 weeks. May be there is 1 week per year that the resort is totally close for maintenance.
Many resorts only sell 51 weeks, allowing for out of service time for unit maintenance. That is a better plan than 52 weeks, which is unrealistic from a maintenance point of view.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
How much unsold inventory was there. Was Charter Club still in active sales? Also remember that DRI has an active deed back program that they can use to get additional weeks in to the trusts.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much unsold inventory was there.
From the 2014 report, 8.2 units or 8.2*51=418 weeks

Was Charter Club still in active sales?.
DRI sells points only

Also remember that DRI has an active deed back program that they can use to get additional weeks in to the trusts.
The US Collection is the trust and there is 27% of the weeks inside.
So, the only way that DRI can own 50% is if he doesn't add in the trust the deed back units and keep them for rental.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot the old Club Navigo (Island One point base system) that has been converted to DRI Florida Club Connection.
I don't know how many week from Charter Club is in this trust if this Club is a trust.
If there is 23% in the Florida Club Connection and 27% in the US Collection trust then this is how DRI could own 50% of Charter Club.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Club Navigo was not a trust fund system. It was an "internal" exchange program among deeded owners.

Charter Club

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Charter Club of Naples Bay
Diamond received all the unsold units from Island One, all the foreclosed units on an on-going basis, and all the deed buybacks. I just calculated the approximate percentage that Diamond now owns at the Charter Club and it is 42%. Jared Finkelstein, Diamond VP, stated in 2015 that Diamond wanted to continue the timeshare, but with the Apollo takeover and the value of the land at approx. $15 million we, the owners, were not sure how Diamond would vote.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the financial 2015 report of the US Collection doesn't say how many point DRI owns in the US Collection (DRI was owned 30,465,686 points).

But if I use the financial 2014 and 2015 report of Hawaii Collection as reference,
- In 2014, there was 237,576,495 points in the Hawaii Collection, DRI was owning 9,291,124 points
- In 2015, there was 294,690,580 points in the Hawaii Collection, DRI was owning 62,653,330 points
From 2014 to 2015, the number of point in the HI Collection increased by 57,114,085 points and DRI increased is owning points by 53,362,206 points. So, DRI sold 3,751,879 HI Collection points in 2015.

Those new points in the HI Collection came from :
- Adding the Monarch Cancun Resort, Las Vegas. NV in the HI Collection (39,640,170 points).
- Adding more units/weeks from the Monarch Palm Canyon Resort, Palm Spring, CA in the HI Collection (10,424,415 points).
- Adding more units/weeks from Polo Tower Villa, Las Vegas, NV in the HI Collection (2,110,500 points). Probably deed back units but can also be owners that have converted their deed to point.
- Adding more units/weeks from Point at Poipu, Kauai, HI in the HI Collection (3,291,500 points). Probably deed back units but can also be owners that have converted their deed to point.
- Adding more units/weeks from Ka'anapali Beach Club, Maui,HI in the HI Collection (1,647,500 points). Probably deed back units but can also be owners that have converted their deed to point.

My theory is all unsold inventory and deed back go to the Collection and DRI owns the points associated to those units/weeks.

So, if I apply this theory to Charter Club then all unsold inventory and deed back/foreclosed units are put in the US Collection and we know that the US Collection owns 27% of the Charter Club then DRI can't own 42% of Charter Club because DRI owns only a certain number of point in the US Collection.

How do you calculate your 42% ?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Doesn't DRI hold the voting rights for the weeks held in the trust collections? It doesn't matter if DRI still owns the points or not.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't DRI hold the voting rights for the weeks held in the trust collections? It doesn't matter if DRI still owns the points or not.
I suppose that it is the trust Collection board of director that vote in each HOA based on the number of week hold in the trust and not DRI directly.

Weeks deposited in the trust are converted in point and the trust own the deed. The voting right in the Collection is based on the number of point owned (DRI has 3 votes per point in the HI Collection if they own at least 20% of the total HI Collection point. Otherwise, 1 vote per point like all members). In general DRI control the trust Collection board and most board directors are DRI employees. So, indirectly DRI votes for the trust in each HOA because DRI controls the trust.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I suppose that it is the trust Collection board of director that vote in each HOA based on the number of week hold in the trust and not DRI directly.

Weeks deposited in the trust are converted in point and the trust own the deed. The voting right in the Collection is based on the number of point owned (DRI has 3 votes per point in the HI Collection if they own at least 20% of the total HI Collection point. Otherwise, 1 vote per point like all members). In general DRI control the trust Collection board and most board directors are DRI employees. So, indirectly DRI votes for the trust in each HOA because DRI controls the trust.
So could this explain the 42% DRI ownership? I suspect that DRI really doesn't own many weeks. They only own weeks for a short period of time before they are conveyed to the collection trust. They consider trust/collection ownership to be DRI ownership?

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
My theory is all unsold inventory and deed back go to the Collection and DRI owns the points associated to those units/week

I suspect that DRI holds in a collection only enough points to meet their planned sales and holds the remainder as deeds. First, holding deeds is less expensive. The MF on deeds is about 25% less than points, on average. Second, I think Diamond may have more flexibility in the rental market with deeded inventory than they have with point inventory.

Charter Club

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Charter Club of Naples Bay
Please feel free to verify it from the Collier County Clerk's web site https://www.collierclerk.com/ for the weeks now owned by Diamond. My or
Unfortunately, the financial 2015 report of the US Collection doesn't say how many point DRI owns in the US Collection (DRI was owned 30,465,686 points).

But if I use the financial 2014 and 2015 report of Hawaii Collection as reference,
- In 2014, there was 237,576,495 points in the Hawaii Collection, DRI was owning 9,291,124 points
- In 2015, there was 294,690,580 points in the Hawaii Collection, DRI was owning 62,653,330 points
From 2014 to 2015, the number of point in the HI Collection increased by 57,114,085 points and DRI increased is owning points by 53,362,206 points. So, DRI sold 3,751,879 HI Collection points in 2015.

Those new points in the HI Collection came from :
- Adding the Monarch Cancun Resort, Las Vegas. NV in the HI Collection (39,640,170 points).
- Adding more units/weeks from the Monarch Palm Canyon Resort, Palm Spring, CA in the HI Collection (10,424,415 points).
- Adding more units/weeks from Polo Tower Villa, Las Vegas, NV in the HI Collection (2,110,500 points). Probably deed back units but can also be owners that have converted their deed to point.
- Adding more units/weeks from Point at Poipu, Kauai, HI in the HI Collection (3,291,500 points). Probably deed back units but can also be owners that have converted their deed to point.
- Adding more units/weeks from Ka'anapali Beach Club, Maui,HI in the HI Collection (1,647,500 points). Probably deed back units but can also be owners that have converted their deed to point.

My theory is all unsold inventory and deed back go to the Collection and DRI owns the points associated to those units/weeks.

So, if I apply this theory to Charter Club then all unsold inventory and deed back/foreclosed units are put in the US Collection and we know that the US Collection owns 27% of the Charter Club then DRI can't own 42% of Charter Club because DRI owns only a certain number of point in the US Collection.

How do you calculate your 42% ?

Please review the Collier County Clerk's web site https://www.collierclerk.com/

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect that DRI holds in a collection only enough points to meet their planned sales and holds the remainder as deeds. First, holding deeds is less expensive. The MF on deeds is about 25% less than points, on average. Second, I think Diamond may have more flexibility in the rental market with deeded inventory than they have with point inventory.
This is an interesting possibility.
So, if all numbers are correct, the 42% including the trust said by Charter Club and the 27% posted by you on Facebook then DRI owns 15% (42%-27%). We are far from the OP affirmation (50%).
Yes, DRI controls the trust board of US Collection and indirectly control the 27% of the Charter Club in the trust. When we add its 15% then DRI controls 42% of the Charter Club but DRI owns only 15% not 50% nor 42%.
If a point member owns nothing (the trust owns the deed) then DRI owns nothing too inside the trust (DRI owns only points in the trust and the trust owns the deed). But with its multi voting points, DRI is able to control the trust and indirectly, it looks like DRI owns more than in reality.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is an interesting possibility.
So, if all numbers are correct, the 42% including the trust said by Charter Club and the 27% posted by you on Facebook then DRI owns 15% (42%-27%). We are far from the OP affirmation (50%).
Yes, DRI controls the trust board of US Collection and indirectly control the 27% of the Charter Club in the trust. When we add its 15% then DRI controls 42% of the Charter Club but DRI owns only 15% not 50% nor 42%.
If a point member owns nothing (the trust owns the deed) then DRI owns nothing too inside the trust (DRI owns only points in the trust and the trust owns the deed). But with its multi voting points, DRI is able to control the trust and indirectly, it looks like DRI owns more than in reality.
I think the 50% referenced in the OP isn't literally the deeds that DRI owns, but rather all the sources you indicated above.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
last night the answer to a Jeopardy question was "what is a sunset clause"