• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Charleston

Santina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year I got such good recommendation from Tug for HHI and would like to hit you up again.
First time in Charleston for one night. Restaurants , hotels, must do etc. Thanks

Rehdaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
When in Charleston you must take a carriage ride. Cost is around $25 per person. Carriages line up on Market Street near the City Market. We have used quite a few different companies and have never had a bad experience yet. Gives you a nice tour of a portion of the city. Tours are by a lottery system where you only get to tour 1/4 of the city. It's random so you may not get to see all you want to see.

Another is to take a pedicab to those areas that you want to see. Pedicabs hold 2 but can get expensive depending on where you want to go. They are also available on Market Street.

Lastly, the City Market itself. Great place to shop for souvenirs and sweetgrass baskets. There's some very talented sweetgrass crafters who have set up shop there.

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at the Marriott Courtyard on Calhoun, twice now. Easy to drive to. Very convenient when walking in any direction. Free parking. Will go back again.

Nkn
:whooopie::whooopie:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I agree that starting with a carriage ride from the Charleston City Market area gives one an overview of the historic district (if you are fortunate enough to draw tour 1 or 2 in the lottery particularly.) From there it depends upon your specific interests. If your budget affords, I would suggest staying in a hotel below Calhoun St, as close to the City Market as possible. There are so many wonderful restaurants here it is hard to begin to recommend. What type food would you prefer and what price range? I am happy to help but need more information.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is some great information for a couple or anyone visiting the City of Charleston.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
We stayed at the Hampton, just a short walk fro the historical district. It is across the street from the visitors center, and the trolley stops just out side the main entrance to the hotel. We used the trolley several times to go into town and it's free. We rode it all the way to with in a short walk to battery park. It has hop on hop off so you can check out anything along the way. At the hotel breakfast is free, and we got all the info to see the plantations, tours, etc.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent 7 days at the Courtyard on Calhoun St. 2 years ago. Still didn't get to see all there is to see. I don't know that one night will make you satisfied that you were there. There are a number of plantations nearby. Of course there is Fort Sumter - the beginning of the Civil War. Hundreds of restaurants. The historical district can take almost a day to walk. And strolling the City Market is 1/2 day. I will say that one highlight of our trip was the concierge at the Courtyard Calhoun. His name is Kevin, and he actually took us on a 2 hour guided tour (at night) and showed us the Historic District in a personal way. Mansions, fountains, wrought iron gates, gas lamps - and even Bill Murray's house. Totally out of this world. He also arranged day trips and dinner reservations. A very special week. We are going back this year. Can you extend a little bit?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent 7 days at the Courtyard on Calhoun St. 2 years ago. Still didn't get to see all there is to see. I don't know that one night will make you satisfied that you were there. There are a number of plantations nearby. Of course there is Fort Sumter - the beginning of the Civil War. Hundreds of restaurants. The historical district can take almost a day to walk. And strolling the City Market is 1/2 day. I will say that one highlight of our trip was the concierge at the Courtyard Calhoun. His name is Kevin, and he actually took us on a 2 hour guided tour (at night) and showed us the Historic District in a personal way. Mansions, fountains, wrought iron gates, gas lamps - and even Bill Murray's house. Totally out of this world. He also arranged day trips and dinner reservations. A very special week. We are going back this year. Can you extend a little bit?

I,enjoyed this kind of sharing of information and I am looking forward to vacation sometime soon in this city.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
One day in Charleston is not enough:)

Any restaurant north or south of Broad will be a great evening. My favorite is SNOB, Slightly North of Broad. She Crab Soup is the least you can do.

IMHO the market is greatly overrated with a lot of junk and a few gems.

For a fabulous place to stay, Charleston Place by Belmond is first class.

Cheers

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
You can't go wrong with SNOB. Nor Peninsula Grill. Reservations needed, however. We eat at Pearlz often. On a week night, they have a bar menu that is half price between 5-7 PM. It can be very noisy, as many of Charleston's restaurants are, and it can be crowded but they have oysters on the half shell, big peel 'n eat shrimp, mahi tacos, and a number or other items on that half price menu. Hanks is another favorite of though it's gotten pricey and reservations needed also. 5 Church on the North Market can be quite good. Fleet Landing on the water near Waterfront Park has some good choices and a view. Cafe Framboise, Bull Street Market (on King St), Minero for Mexican, Rue de Jean, Indaco, Hall's Chophouse, Trattoria Lucca...these are just below the crosstown. If you wanted to go further afield we have great restaurants in other areas. Above the crosstown (Hwy 17) Lewis Barbeque (out of this world Texas brisket), Leon's Oyster Shop (out of this world roasted oysters on the half shell), Edmund's Oast, The Butcher & Bee and Uncle Harold's Cabin (Bill Murray is a part owner), The Fat Hen and Wild Olive on John's Island. The Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan's Island. And I could on...

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We have stayed at the Renaissance Historic District both times we have stayed in Charleston and found it to be very nice and exceptionally well located for walking to things.