• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Changing a 9 month booking

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
hi tuggers

Was wondering if maybe I was doing it wrong or maybe you guys have experienced the same?

I'm trying to change a 9 month booking at vilamoura to either move the reservation 1 day forward or add an extra day.

The day I wish to add is available but the days I already have is marked as unavailable. So I'm unable to either move or add a day.

The change process should be straight forward. Push the change button (which I did) and then make whatever change you need. For whatever reason it does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes, that is the way it's suppose to work. I haven't use the website since the latest round of updates. Sounds like it's broken :doh:.

You'll have to call the HGVC Reservation desk and have them do it for you.
The only other way around it is to release & rebook but that can be very risky and you might lose the original reservation. :crash:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
It sounds also to me that you are doing it correctly. I thought that this was fixed in the latest update, but now I am having second thoughts. I know that it didn't work in revolution (for the same conditions as you have described. It would only work if the complete timeframe was available.) I would call the reservation desk to have them change it.

@alwysonvac does give you a second option which I have never considered. If you do release your booking, it does take some time to show availability back to you (5-15 minutes is my experience),

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the way it's suppose to work. I haven't use the website since the latest round of updates. Sounds like it's broken :doh:.

You'll have to call the HGVC Reservation desk and have them do it for you.
The only other way around it is to release & rebook but that can be very risky and you might lose the original reservation. :crash:

Thanks, that was what I thought but was kind a hoping I was wrong

I'll give them a call when they opens again tomorrow.

Regards

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible this is a "non-changeable" resort? This year, HGVC made all the Fiesta Americana resorts non-changeable. (boo).

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible this is a "non-changeable" resort? This year, HGVC made all the Fiesta Americana resorts non-changeable. (boo).

I can change the reservation but just not for the dates I want other dates are available and I can change it perfectly fine for those.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would appear on the the surface (and this is looking at this from the standpoint of a software developer) that this is a design flaw where it looks for availability in the requested block, but neglects to take into account that dates one already has held should be factored into the logical equation. Basically, it appears that there's an OR missing from the equation :)

Cheers.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It would appear on the the surface (and this is looking at this from the standpoint of a software developer) that this is a design flaw where it looks for availability in the requested block, but neglects to take into account that dates one already has held should be factored into the logical equation. Basically, it appears that there's an OR missing from the equation :)

Cheers.

Agree with you. Actually it would be an easy programming change. Hopefully they fix it soon.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with you. Actually it would be an easy programming change. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Yup. I wrote the code in my head - the entire routine to do this - with, and without, the OR clause. Maybe 6 or so lines of code.

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I wrote the code in my head - the entire routine to do this - with, and without, the OR clause. Maybe 6 or so lines of code.

I doubt it's a high-priority item for them. Perhaps you could offer it to HGVC, gratis.
I plan to try to score Vilamoura in a few weeks, so whatever you can do...

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's a high-priority item for them. Perhaps you could offer it to HGVC, gratis.
I plan to try to score Vilamoura in a few weeks, so whatever you can do...

Oh, I'm fairly sure that the simple-minded algorithm I defined is missing more than a few error checks and corner cases. I have a feeling that, even gratis, they may not want my code sample, although the basic suggestion may warrant their looking.

Given the speed with which they implemented that website changes that we all asked for, I'm not sure how low a priority fixing this would be for them, though.

Cheers.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I think that HGVC change reservations on-line booking might have more issues. I tried to change one of my changeable reservations to add 2 available days to the reservations. When I did this, it didn't show the two days as available plus I see issues similar to the OP. Now, I am sure that a call to HGVC reservations desk could solve the issue, but I just wanted to test the on-line booking. I know that I have previously mistakenly reported in some thread that the change on-line reservation feature was fixed.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that HGVC change reservations on-line booking might have more issues. I tried to change one of my changeable reservations to add 2 available days to the reservations. When I did this, it didn't show the two days as available plus I see issues similar to the OP. Now, I am sure that a call to HGVC reservations desk could solve the issue, but I just wanted to test the on-line booking. I know that I have previously mistakenly reported in some thread that the change on-line reservation feature was fixed.

Based on a very recent experience of mine (over the weekend), it seems to work quite well if the entirety of the new stay window is open. I made such a change and it went through without a hitch. The stick point seems to be when new days are available, but already held days have no further availability (at least from my take on this thread). In that case, it seems not to be taking into account the already-held days and the idea that additional availability is not relevant in this case.

It seems that they might have the case where part of the period being unavailable queers the whole period, including days that otherwise show as available. If so, that's even more messed up.

Cheers.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ended up booking another resort, stalking the website and rebooking my days plus the additional ones.

When I booked the other resort to free up my days it took approx 20min for my days to return into open inventory wish it could
Be done faster.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm fairly sure that the simple-minded algorithm I defined is missing more than a few error checks and corner cases. I have a feeling that, even gratis, they may not want my code sample, although the basic suggestion may warrant their looking.

Given the speed with which they implemented that website changes that we all asked for, I'm not sure how low a priority fixing this would be for them, though.

Cheers.

Can't help wondering what other "features" we are missing or will experience due to hgvc too fast implementation.

If we can't change the bookings ourselves we need to call and that will cause more load on the phone system which again will cause either higher cost or complaints from members.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Let's hope when they do the fix they don't forget to include both the dates and points associated with the existing reservation.

Last year, I discovered that they partially fixed the changeable reservation option in the new reservation system. They corrected the system to include your existing reservation nights but forgot to include the points associated with your existing reservation. So if your remaining point balance couldn't cover the entire reservation, your changeable reservation request failed.:doh:

I ran into that issue in August 2016 and March 2017 - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...-changeable-reservations.252727/#post-1979902

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Can't help wondering what other "features" we are missing or will experience due to hgvc too fast implementation.

Its standard practice in software development. We call it Minimum Viable Product or MVP for short. The idea is that you launch the product or website with just enough features to be useful. Then you use the feedback from your users and customers to drive the rest of the features.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
it took approx 20min for my days to return into open inventory
I am glad that it worked out for you. 20 minutes is a long time to wait "patiently", but you were probably adjusting your reservation when most HGVC owners are sleeping.

Can't help wondering what other "features" we are missing
Me too. I certainly hope that when I search available inventory based upon specific dates, that is correct. That is the most basic feature which I use frequently.

We call it Minimum Viable Product or MVP for short.
I learn something new everyday on this site. I didn't know that was a known practice. It looks like our feedback on the software is very important then. I know that I haven't been diligent in reporting issues. I am going to start providing feedback again.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its standard practice in software development. We call it Minimum Viable Product or MVP for short. The idea is that you launch the product or website with just enough features to be useful. Then you use the feedback from your users and customers to drive the rest of the features.

I do understand that it's important to be "First to market" but in this case hgvc don't have any competitors so why not take the time needed or assign additional resources to make it on time.

I work for a bank, and I can't help thinking what would happen if we launched anything remotely like this. I'm glad that "we" do thoroughly testing before release and still be able to be first to market.

Fair enough you release a beta product which needs user feedback but then you keep the normal production site operational until the beta is ready to leave the beta stage.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
[covered already]

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do understand that it's important to be "First to market" but in this case hgvc don't have any competitors so why not take the time needed or assign additional resources to make it on time.

I work for a bank, and I can't help thinking what would happen if we launched anything remotely like this. I'm glad that "we" do thoroughly testing before release and still be able to be first to market.

Fair enough you release a beta product which needs user feedback but then you keep the normal production site operational until the beta is ready to leave the beta stage.

Yeah, as you said at the end, this is not a rush to market think, but the MVP is intended to give the first pass at functionality quickly and then get feedback. We get something useful faster (and the revision was extremely useful, this bug aside) and then can give feedback to shape the future direction. In fact, this is why we got the much-improved update.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's hope when they do the fix they don't forget to include both the dates and points associated with the existing reservation.

Last year, I discovered that they partially fixed the changeable reservation option in Revolution. They corrected the system to include your existing reservation nights but forgot to include the points associated with your existing reservation. So if your remaining point balance couldn't cover the entire reservation, your changeable reservation request failed.:doh:

I ran into that issue in August 2016 and March 2017 - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...-changeable-reservations.252727/#post-1979902

I've changed a fair number of reservations with the new system and it has never failed to include the current points into the new reservation. So it seems that they got that part right.

Cheers.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've changed a fair number of reservations with the new system and it has never failed to include the current points into the new reservation. So it seems that they got that part right.

Cheers.

Well at least for the vilamoura resort that does not hold up. I just checked today and if I wanted to move my reservation one day forward I couldn't at least not online. The days I already hold are not marked as available even though the day after is available.

I think as others has stated that if the days in your current reservation is still available then you can move your reservation if not then you can't.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm enamored with the new website but this could be a feature and not a bug. Timeshare systems that have no change fee and allow online reservation changes encourage "walking" a reservation from an earlier low demand time into a later high demand one. It sounds like the HGVC online system is written to prevent walking if availability is tight (ie you can't make a new reservation without using the days in your existing one). DVC also makes you call to walk your reservation if there is no availability (not counting the days you've reserved).

Last edited: