• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Casa Dorada special assessment!

huskynut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received this email from CD Medano Beach ... they want $770 from me to pay for what is essentially upkeep of the property that I feel should be done along the way with regular maintenance fees. Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa is pleased to inform you the latest remodeling updates of the Property.

We appreciate the relationship we have with our Owners and we know that you appreciate the time and comfort you have experienced on your vacation at the resort. The new image of the resort reflects the resorts natural surroundings both desertic and nautical with a modern and airy color scheme.

In early November 2015 we began the remodeling of the property. Nowadays as many of you have seen, we have refurbished 90% of the units; in June we will begin the project to renovate the Penthouse units which will be concluded by late August.

Room’s remodeling included stylish architectural design, novel furniture in patios and among other niceties are the unique decorative pieces in each room, dainty curtains, new lighting, LED TVs, padded beds and fine furnishings.

In common areas for your convenience we have new elevators.

We changed all the outdoor furniture including chairs and sun umbrellas at the beach and pool. We also thought about making your entertainment an outstanding experience by improving it with pool tables, tennis tables and games for children. We have also fitted up a new space for those who like reading and an outdoor landscaped walkway was recently completed to provide easy and comfortable access to the Beach club and Medano Beach.

• The B Bar has a new image and amazing style with brand new furniture, LED lighting, modern décor, oversized centered bar and large-screen televisions with a high quality sound.
• For Pizza & Sushi we opened the Trattoria & Sushi Bar last year, it is located at the pool area. A coffee at sunset will be really enjoyable also, the restaurant opens until 8:00 PM.
• A magnificent view to the Arch of Cabo San Lucas Bay can be seen from the Okianus Restaurant which has a new image with amazing style and brand new furniture.
• At this time we are working on remodeling the Maydan Restaurant, it will be ready by the end of June. Our most important goal is to create a distinctive atmosphere and exquisite cuisine for you.
• The exclusive 12 Tribus Restaurant will be renovated next July. We are working to make it a very special place for you, it will have a new image and environment with new furniture and equipment. 12 Tribus is a very good choice with a wide range of food options and excellent drinks.
• The Saltwater SPA will have new areas, new furniture and equipment. This remodeling will start on July in order to provide to our Owners the SPA the services that you deserve.

We are including some photos for Owners who haven´t had the opportunity to visit the resort yet.

Your cooperation for this project is essential. Therefore for the first time since we started our relationship 8 years ago we have established an additional fee. This fee "$770.00" will be for the equal amount of the 2016 annual maintenance fee. That means that for the period 2016 you will pay an additional maintenance fee. The amount will be according to the kind of unit you own.

To show its appreciation, the resort is giving a bonus week to use at Casa Dorada Cabo Real and Casa Dorada San Lucas Bay when the fee is paid. Please call us for more details.

Payments can be made with personal check or credit card in US funds. Please contact GBS International Inc. Casa Dorada Members Service Department at 1-877-436-7232 from Monday - Friday 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM EST.

Payment must be made before September 30, 2016.

We appreciate your cooperation to fulfill your expectations.

Best Regards,

Casa Dorada at Medano Beach
Member Services Department
1-877-436-7232
Monday – Friday 10:00AM – 7:00PM EST

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
They billed me a full year of fees for my biennial ownerships too - aren't they double dipping? It should be half for biennial use owners.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Yikes! I hope this is not a new tactic for Mexican timeshare resorts. This is the first time I've heard of this kind of assessment for a Cabo San Lucas resort

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fees

Hacienda Encantada has a "special renovation" fee every 5 years. It is basically double the maintenance fees.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They billed me a full year of fees for my biennial ownerships too - aren't they double dipping? It should be half for biennial use owners.

One would think. Do you pay only half your MF every year or do you only pay during your use years? If you pay only half each year, then they would be getting the other $770 from the other owner of the other half. If you pay only in your use years. That other owner would be getting a free ride since the special assessment won't hit in their use year.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owners pay the full fee only in their use year. They billed me for an odd usage the equivalent of the full 2016 fee that was billed to even owners. I am sure they are doubling up and billing the full fee to biennial owners.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Owners pay the full fee only in their use year. They billed me for an odd usage the equivalent of the full 2016 fee that was billed to even owners. I am sure they are doubling up and billing the full fee to biennial owners.

So you own an odd usage where you would normally pay the full fee in 2017? This does seem like double dipping, but they probably just took the overall projected cost and divided it up by the number of owners. Sloppy accounting if you ask me. I would call or write to those that were behind the decision.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes that's the case. They won't care about complaints.

So you own an odd usage where you would normally pay the full fee in 2017? This does seem like double dipping, but they probably just took the overall projected cost and divided it up by the number of owners. Sloppy accounting if you ask me. I would call or write to those that were behind the decision.

huskynut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at my contract ....

I went through my contract with a fine tooth comb and nowhere is there any mention of their right to charge any special assessment. This may be industry practice ...or so it seems from some of the posts here .... but contractually they have NO rights to do so.

Anyone up for some class action?

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know about class action suit?
Do know years ago I received a special assessment from a Mexican Resort I owned. Everyone who owned received it. This was not for hurricane damages more of a refurbish fee. Already pay an added fee every 5 years.
I did not pay the assessment. Some owners did. I did not and received a few added billings and than nothing further was heard about it.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
If a right to access or a refurbishment clause is not in your contract then you might file a complaint with Profeco and tell Casa you will not pay the fee until/if Profeco rules it's valid. Profeco is typically useless but at least Casa will have to pay a large mordita to buy off Profeco but perhaps they will not collect against you until Profeco responds which is typically 6 months.

Interesting Casa is owned by Questro one of the largest Mexican conglomerates. Thats a low blow even for them. There are no class actions allowed in Mexico so Casa owns the ball, owns the field and owns the ref!

Post a letter to the editor in the Gringo Gazette and that will warn folks considering purchasing at Breathless as Questro just opened that resort on the marina. I guess they want the Casa members to pay for their folly. Questro used to be a class company. I guess they are going a different direction. The only satisfaction you might get is boycotting their facilities. Here is what they own: http://www.questro.com/index.php/nuestras-divisiones-1

Reaction score
I am getting the same emails. I reviewed my contract and there is something in there about "special fees" however that is extremely vague. There is also a clause about them having to have insurance - I was just there and much of the improvements made were due to the hurricane a couple of years ago. I wonder what their recourse is if we don't pay it. Have you heard anything further? I hate dealing with GBS - they have been just awful.

asd52309

Reaction score
We are having these same issues with Casa Dorada and GBS. Our contract has that one very vague mention of "special fees" but has no mention of what these special fees mean... my big fear is if they are able to charge this to us now, what is to stop them from doing so repeatedly? Both my husband and I spoke with GBS at length, and they refuse to let you talk to anyone higher up and are pretty rude about the whole thing. They must be starting to receive some complaints because they are pretty good about pushing back on it.

I've never even stayed at this resort... we always trade and go elsewhere! If anyone knows a way out of this, please let me know. We don't want to pay this without a fight, but I'm not sure what rights we have in Mexico.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fees

I believe although vague, the "fees" were in the contract, and now they are assessing them. Timeshares in the states also impose special assessments, and there is nothing you can do about them in the states either. Timeshares are the same all over.

Reaction score
Just got a call from GBS...asked if I knew about the special assessment... which I did not know about. GBS referred to an April email which I never received. I asked that it be resent, and I still have not received it.

I objected to the special assessment, said that I could not afford to pay it, and asked what would happen if I didn't pay it. The agent said he didn't know, but that there might be a fine assessed next year.

Reaction score
GBS may be changing their tune

My latest message from GBS stated that it was OPTIONAL and that they hoped I would participate in the special assessment (or whatever they called it) and there is a bonus week with priority booking (whatever that means) if I did pay it. They probably got a lot of push back and threats for the assessment - the contracts are likely not enforceable - if you read it it's all kind of ridiculous. Anyhoo, it seems it's optional and there won't be repercussions for not paying.

Has anyone heard anything the same or different?

huskynut

TUG Member
Reaction score
They ultimately waived the special assessment ....

as a "courtesy" .... ain't that special!

Now I'm onto their increases in Maintenance Fees .... but that will be in another thread.....

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
as a "courtesy" .... ain't that special!

Now I'm onto their increases in Maintenance Fees .... but that will be in another thread.....
Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully this will help other owners there receive the same "courtesy.":clap:

Reaction score
I find it funny they call it a courtesy

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully this will help other owners there receive the same "courtesy.":clap:

It's very highly likely that they have no recourse in enforcing it. They are dealing with a lot of old contracts - mine is from 2006 or so, as it was being constructed. I am debating whether to call them back. It's always a highlight of the day to deal with GBS...not...

Marva Swick

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Dorada Medano Beach
GBS may be changing their tune

My latest message from GBS stated that it was OPTIONAL and that they hoped I would participate in the special assessment (or whatever they called it) and there is a bonus week with priority booking (whatever that means) if I did pay it. They probably got a lot of push back and threats for the assessment - the contracts are likely not enforceable - if you read it it's all kind of ridiculous. Anyhoo, it seems it's optional and there won't be repercussions for not paying.

Has anyone heard anything the same or different?

Wow optional. Glad to hear. We are in the same boat with Casa Dorada. Received bill. Made numerous calls regarding "special assessment". We also caught them on the drastic increase of annual fees. Sent them the index history and challenged them on the construct stating an increase of no more than 3%. We paid the assessment with a fight. Now we all need to fight against our annual increase to stop them.

Dalownerx3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received a phone call from GBS about this special assessment. Luckily I was on my laptop at the time and pulled up this thread. Since I'm an even-year owner, I asked what happens with biennial owners. The person on the phone didn't give a satisfactory answer about the even/odd owners wind up paying double for the same week. He wanted me to pay on the phone. I wound up asking him send me details to my email account. The weird part is that email listed September 30, 2016 as the deadline.

So now that the deadline is long past, now what?

Marva Swick

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Dorada Medano Beach
Someone on this blog was also talking to them back then and she told them she can't afford to pay it and didn't. As far as Inknow nothing happened and she heard nothing.

Dalownerx3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh. I just got another call from GBS about paying the special assessment fee. This time the deadline is September 2017 not September 2016 as per the email they forwarded me when they called me earlier this week.

This time I mentioned at a "friend" who was also an owner was told the fee was optional. The operator said the assessment is only for Medano Beach. I told him that my "friend" was the owner at Medano beach. The operator didn't have an answer for that.

I then asked what would happen if I don't pay by the new deadline since nothing happened when the past deadline expired. He said that he didn't know. I told him to call me back once he finds out because I won't pay until then. He then thanked me for my time and hung up. At least these folks are polite unlike that guy called from Microsoft Security warning me my computer was at risk and I needed to run this special program. That guy was quite rude after I wasted 20 minutes of his time but I digress.