• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rental Plate Pass

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are heading to Orlando in a couple of weeks and are familiar with the cashless tolling. The car rental company wants $10.00 and some change a day for use of the pass. We heard that you can go to Publix and purchase a card/sticker to put on your car for much less. The way I understand it is that you tell them how much you think your need and they load it on the sticker somehow. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding the procedure? Any advice would be appreciated. On this trip we would probably run into a cashless toll once or twice.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
Haven't heard of a "sticker", but in different threads I did see sometime back, A discussion where at Publix's and a few others that you can buy a transponder good for a yr. and you take it with you. As far as cashless tolls, last time we were in Key West a couple yrs. ago their was virtually no manned toll booths. Didn't get dinged until about a month later for about 30.00. Guess we should have gone to Publix's.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
How to Avoid 'Gotcha' Toll Fees From Your Rental Car Company
By Christopher Elliott/ Travel/ Perspective/ The Washington Post/ washingtonpost.com

Included is info on the Sun Pass Mini Sticker Transponder for $4.99 from Publix (and other locations too)

iStock-464339991.jpg

While vacationing, the surprise on boothless and cashless toll roads is not the cost of the tolls themselves, but the often exorbitant rental-car surcharges for incurring them. (iStock)

Richard

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
How to Avoid 'Gotcha' Toll Fees From Your Rental Car Company
By Christopher Elliott/ Travel/ Perspective/ The Washington Post/ washingtonpost.com

Included is info on the Sun Pass Mini Sticker Transponder for $4.99 from Publix (and other locations too)

iStock-464339991.jpg

While vacationing, the surprise on boothless and cashless toll roads is not the cost of the tolls themselves, but the often exorbitant rental-car surcharges for incurring them. (iStock)

Richard
Thanks for the info................Guess my first stop after leaving the airport will be one of the nearest places to get a pass. Thanks again........

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
MULTIZ321: Thank you so much for supplying the information I requested. It was most helpful. I thought there was some way of getting around these "gotcha tolls" by paying less than the car rental companies charge. Last trip to Orlando we went to Bradenton to watch the Pirates spring training game and got hit with the toll ($.50) and a $20.00 fee. What a rip off. Again, thank you so much.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Guess my first stop after leaving the airport will be one of the nearest places to get a pass.

Don't wait till you land. Order a pass online. They'll mail it (no fee).
(1) Go To the Sun Pass website: https://www.sunpass.com/index
(2) Click the tab that says: "Click here to Purchase a Transponder."
(3) Click the "I Accept" button, and you'll land on the order page.

Note: You don't need a plate # to order a pass. You register it later.

For use on more than one car: You need a portable transponder.
Stickers cannot be reused. But you can easily order another one.
On returning the car, remove the sticker & cancel the registration.
You wouldn't want the next renter to pay tolls on your dime.

I just ordered a sticker for a new car.
The car has a 5-year 0% loan, so it'll be staying in my hands for a while.

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sticker comes off easy and then just rip up and throw away. You have to call to give license #and load money from your credit card. When done just call, close and get refund if you over loaded the amount to your credit card. We did this 3-4 years ago when last in Orlando.
Easy to do.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Don't wait till you land. Order a pass online. They'll mail it (no fee).
(1) Go To the Sun Pass website: https://www.sunpass.com/index
(2) Click the tab that says: "Click here to Purchase a Transponder."
(3) Click the "I Accept" button, and you'll land on the order page.

Note: You don't need a plate # to order a pass. You register it later.

... If using it for a rental, you'll want a portable transponder ($19.99 + tax).
Otherwise, you'll have to scrape it off and cancel the registration at the end.
You wouldn't want the next renter to pay tolls on your dime.

I just ordered a sticker for a new car.
The car has a 5-year 0% loan, so it'll be staying in my hands for a while.

Thanks for the info, Talent. As we are in FL. every yr. to the TS in key west. 19.99 plus tax verses 30.00 plus depending which we come back to FLL or get off and back on, is a no brainer.