• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rental On Line Check In

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Alamo offers on line check in so I think I will do that for our upcoming trip next weekend.

How does this work at the airport? (Denver)

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did it in Orlando. I walked right by about 20 people in line and into the Alamo garage. The rep looked at my paperwork and gave me a choice of which car to take and the best features of each car.

Just keep an eye on your bill, though. My paperwork had a glitch and I was overcharged. They fixed it over the phone but less eyes going over your paperwork from the start might open the door for more issues.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm a little leary about online check-in's for cars + hotels before I arrive at the location. I like the "skip the line" option and I've used it myself, but I don't like obligating myself to things before I have to.

Something can happen as you arrive at the door that makes you want to cancel or change. Unlike airlines, where you know what you're getting and change policies are clear, with cars + hotels, it's not so clear. I've looked for fine-print on changes + cancellations post check-in and haven't found any.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I did it in Orlando. I walked right by about 20 people in line and into the Alamo garage. The rep looked at my paperwork and gave me a choice of which car to take and the best features of each car.

Just keep an eye on your bill, though. My paperwork had a glitch and I was overcharged. They fixed it over the phone but less eyes going over your paperwork from the start might open the door for more issues.

That is one of my concerns- the bill. Alamos' Insiders Clubs' only benefit is it offers a 5% discount off retail (I used Auto Slash) and not the skip the line thing, so I didn't bother joining it. You have to do on-line check in to skip the line.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm a little leary about online check-in's for cars + hotels before I arrive at the location. I like the "skip the line" option and I've used it myself, but I don't like paying for things before I have to.

Something can happen as you arrive at the door that makes you want to cancel or change. Unlike airlines, where you know what you're getting and change policies are clear, with cars + hotels, it's not so clear. I've looked for fine-print on changes + cancellations post check-in and haven't found any.

With a car rental, at least with Alamo, even if you do online checkin you can still cancel the reservation and not be charged. You card isn't actually charged until you return your car and they only place a hold when you pick it up. That said, we usually don't do online checkin until a day or two before pickup which by that time we aren't likely to see any more price drops in the rate.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Alamo offers on line check in so I think I will do that for our upcoming trip next weekend.

Mary Ann, we just did this in Denver three weeks ago. If you've checked in online and set up your prepaid situation ahead of time, Alamo has you print a scannable page with a barcode on it. The directions on this page indicate that after collecting your luggage in Denver, you go to Island 4 (I think it was) to board the shuttle bus to the rental car center. When you get off the shuttle, skip the counter and head right to the Alamo parking area. You locate the size car you reserved, choose the car you want, load up, and drive to the exit. You present the scannable document to the gate agent, along with your ID, they scan it, and you're on your way. Took only a few minutes. It was all actually easier to do than it was to type this about doing it. :)

The caveat: We reserved an Intermediate car via the Costco website. Alamo at Denver calls that "Mid-Size." So the signage was different. Once we confirmed with an Alamo worker that Mid-Size is what we were looking for, there was only one vehicle there. Nothing to choose from, unless we wanted to wait for another car to be delivered from the clean-up area. The car in question was a Chevy Cruze, which was a perfect choice, but I was a bit cautious since there weren't any others to choose from. Granted, it was late morning on a Saturday. The car looked fine, and worked out very, very well over the fourteen days and 2400 miles we put on it. I'd rent one again in a heartbeat. Excellent option, for a rental car. :thumbup:

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Did you book directly through Alamo? Or through another company? I found that when I had an Alamo reservation that was NOT booked directly with Alamo I couldn't use the online check in.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have had no issue checking in online with an Alamo reservation through Costco. I think as long as you have the Alamo confirmation number, you are good to go.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Did you book directly through Alamo? Or through another company? I found that when I had an Alamo reservation that was NOT booked directly with Alamo I couldn't use the online check in.

Luanne, I booked through Costco, but they provided an Alamo reservation number as part of the confirmation paperwork. I was able to call up the reservation on the Alamo site, and check in that way. I don't remember doing anything special. :shrug:

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Luanne, I booked through Costco, but they provided an Alamo reservation number as part of the confirmation paperwork. I was able to call up the reservation on the Alamo site, and check in that way. I don't remember doing anything special. :shrug:

Dave
Interesting. I booked Alamo through Costco and wasn't able to use the online. The Alamo site didn't recognize even the Alamo reservation number. It wasn't a big deal as the location had NO line when we went to pick up the car. This was a few years back as I recall and maybe it's different now on the website.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I used Auto Slash. I know Alamo does recognize the reservation number because I went on the Alamo website to sign up for toll receipts and it recognized it. I was planning to check in on line until the day before.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann, we just did this in Denver three weeks ago. If you've checked in online and set up your prepaid situation ahead of time, Alamo has you print a scannable page with a barcode on it. The directions on this page indicate that after collecting your luggage in Denver, you go to Island 4 (I think it was) to board the shuttle bus to the rental car center. When you get off the shuttle, skip the counter and head right to the Alamo parking area. You locate the size car you reserved, choose the car you want, load up, and drive to the exit. You present the scannable document to the gate agent, along with your ID, they scan it, and you're on your way. Took only a few minutes. It was all actually easier to do than it was to type this about doing it. :)

The caveat: We reserved an Intermediate car via the Costco website. Alamo at Denver calls that "Mid-Size." So the signage was different. Once we confirmed with an Alamo worker that Mid-Size is what we were looking for, there was only one vehicle there. Nothing to choose from, unless we wanted to wait for another car to be delivered from the clean-up area. The car in question was a Chevy Cruze, which was a perfect choice, but I was a bit cautious since there weren't any others to choose from. Granted, it was late morning on a Saturday. The car looked fine, and worked out very, very well over the fourteen days and 2400 miles we put on it. I'd rent one again in a heartbeat. Excellent option, for a rental car. :thumbup:

Dave

Thanks for all this, Dave!

We booked an SUV via Auto Slash. We figured it was our best bet for a vehicle in the Rockies.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for all this, Dave!

We booked an SUV via Auto Slash. We figured it was our best bet for a vehicle in the Rockies.

You'll likely be very happy with it. The roads are good, and scenery is amazing. Have a fun trip!

Dave