• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rental on Grand Cayman

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're heading to Grand Cayman in a few months. I just did a search on TUG for car rental information but what came up seems to be older. Can anyone provide information on where to rent cars? We can both drive stick shift and we prefer smaller cars so we're pretty easy to please.

nimrod

TUG Member
Reaction score
GCM is the airport code for Grand Cayman. Dollar, Budget and Alamo have very reasonable rates. Taxes cost more than the rental.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
There is a company that meets you at the airport and takes you to your resort or hotel where the car is waiting. It was cheaper but for the life of me I can't remember the name. I need it again also. Heading to GC in April 2017.

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
If you are staying at Morritts and don't want to make the drive from the airport to the resort, McCurley's will take you to the resort and have a car for you there. We have rented from them for years although we usually pick up and drop off our car at the airport.

Their email is: mccurley@candw.ky
B.A. and McCurley Greene

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thank you. It was Mc Curleys that we used. Very happy.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I didn't see any of these updates when I searched on new posts, so I'm glad I searched on my own posts and saw that I had received some replies. I will check into these.

I still haven't bought my airfare. The prices for travel right now are fantastic but the dates I need are really, really high.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Question for those who've stayed on the east end of the island at Morritts- do you usually rent a car for the entire week or just for days you want to explore? We will be there next May for the first time and haven't made any arrangements yet.

Thank you.

Mike

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
Question for those who've stayed on the east end of the island at Morritts- do you usually rent a car for the entire week or just for days you want to explore? We will be there next May for the first time and haven't made any arrangements yet.

Thank you.

Mike

We usually rent for the week. A shuttle from and to the airport for 2 people will cost $100. By the time you pay that and just one or two days rental you have paid what you would for the entire week. Plus it's nice to able to go out more often to the East End and North Side restaurants.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We usually rent for the week. A shuttle from and to the airport for 2 people will cost $100. By the time you pay that and just one or two days rental you have paid what you would for the entire week. Plus it's nice to able to go out more often to the East End and North Side restaurants.

Thanks for your insights. I will look into a rental care.

Mike

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We rented at one of the name brand agencies about 6+ years ago, maybe it was Avis ??? They were just down a little ways from baggage claim; we walked there with our bags. It's not a big airport.

In Grand Cayman they drive on the left and the car we got had the corresponding steering on the right. It took DH a little while to get used to it, but at least everytime we got in the car,the change in steering reminded us to drive on the left. There are several rotaries/roundabouts on the south end, but they're not bad.

If you're staying at Morritt's on the east end, you will want/need a car.
Get your groceries near the airport or at the shopping center if you can before you head east. There are few and small grocery stores on the east side. You might want to confirm the grocery store hours before heading there. Lots of places are also closed on Sundays.

Last edited:

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've driven on the left before. The thing to remember is that the driver is always at the center of the road - just like here.

Katscuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've driven on the left before. The thing to remember is that the driver is always at the center of the road - just like here.
This is true only if you get a righthand drive car. There are plenty of lefthand drive rentals in Grand Cayman.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I am very disappointed with Andy's and McCurleys. I have contacted them a couple times to reserve a car for late April and they have not been responsive. I just reserved a car directly with Alamo as someone had mentioned that their rates are reasonable. I am not sure if I am inquiring too early, but it seems odd that the other two didn't respond.

Mike

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is true only if you get a righthand drive car. There are plenty of lefthand drive rentals in Grand Cayman.

Not true. The driver is always at the middle of the road because the car is on the other side of the road as well.

Caladezi

Reaction score
Not true. The driver is always at the middle of the road because the car is on the other side of the road as well.

I really hope that you are not driving toward me! If I have a left hand drive car like in the USA, and drive on the left hand side of the road, I will be on the outside of the lane and NOT in the middle unless I am driving into oncoming traffic. Please, when you go to GCM, take the shuttle.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Our rental car was a suv American style. It was fine but odd because of the driving forward in the left lane and sitting on the left side of the suv. This makes passing almost impossible and roundabouts , which are numerous, a bit sketchy.

It was no problem and we drove all over. All over is not very far. :D

Bill

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Acc to our driver in the Bahamas, who was sitting in the right side driver's seat, his company orders their fleet from Japan to spec. If they buy their cars from the US, they'll have a left-side driver's seat.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just remember that if it's not raining and you see the wipers run once as they approach an intersection, they're signaling a right-hand turn. Two swipes is a left-hand turn. :D

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do stand corrected. I read your post incorrectly. I just assumed they would have the cars oriented to the side of the road they drive on. That will be a challenge driving an American style car on the "wrong side" of the road.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I have a reservation for the week before April (4/8-4/15). I tried Andy's, Marshall's, Expedia, Orbitz, and National with my corporate discount. (To my dismay, Costco doesn't even rent on GC.) The cheapest I was able to find was via AARP's travel site. (We're 50 now.) Ended up selecting a mid-size SUV. We could probably fit in an intermediate car, but I prefer SUVs because I get car sick.

Price was ~$420 for the week, which we'll split with another couple. FYI, all drivers have to buy a temporary driver's permit that'll set you back $20 each.

If you don't belong to AARP, I believe they use the same travel provider as Entertainment. I know they just had a big sale ($19 for every book) over Thanksgiving. Might be worth a shot.

20tac05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just there in November staying at Morritt's. The international licence was over and above the rental like insurance etc.