• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancel and Rebook - How prevalent?

sharper3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious - how prevalent is "cancel and rebook" among average owners? I'm not knocking anyone who's been able to make money renting timeshares - quite the opposite, I think it's great. However, the whole practice seems to put an average owner at a disadvantage as a bunch of availability is tied up in "backup" reservations for if the cancel and rebook fails. Is my understanding of how it's done incorrect?

Just out of curiosity - what is Wyndham's stance on this? Is this what's caused these "audits" I see threads about?

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I'm curious - how prevalent is "cancel and rebook" among average owners?

It's only a benefit for VIP owners; if you are not VIP there is no discount inside of 60 days. Do you consider VIP "average"?

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's only a benefit for VIP owners; if you are not VIP there is no discount inside of 60 days. Do you consider VIP "average"?

Since VIP is less than 10% of all ownership and I would peg the percent of VIP owners that actually cancel and rebook at 10% (on the high side). I don't think there is a significant portion of owners that do this. Now the owners that do it (usually renters), they do a lot of them. I think the backup reservations actually give regular owners an added shot at inventory as long as your looking for it. If I have 2 or 3 units when I only need 1 then within 60 days there will be units available that wouldn't be if someone hadn't held them. If there isn't anything available, you may still have a shot at getting something within 60 days where as if there was no cancel and rebook then if everything was booked at 9-10 months, most likely nothing would ever be available.

Jason

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since VIP is less than 10% of all ownership and I would peg the percent of VIP owners that actually cancel and rebook at 10% (on the high side). I don't think there is a significant portion of owners that do this. Now the owners that do it (usually renters), they do a lot of them. I think the backup reservations actually give regular owners an added shot at inventory as long as your looking for it. If I have 2 or 3 units when I only need 1 then within 60 days there will be units available that wouldn't be if someone hadn't held them. If there isn't anything available, you may still have a shot at getting something within 60 days where as if there was no cancel and rebook then if everything was booked at 9-10 months, most likely nothing would ever be available.

Jason

Jason makes a good point when I make a studio reservation and a three bedroom to cancel rebook and upgrade and a second three bedroom as insurance, the end result is a deep discount for me and two reservations that go back available to the rest of the owners

But to the ops question; I was at last years annual meeting and there were a number of regular VIP owners (not mega renters) complaining about the difficulty doing the cancel and rebook thing. One guy in particular said that he lost several reservations this year. He believes that this is a benefit he is entitled to. After all, he paid over $200000 for what he owns

I think the bulk of these transactions are done by guys like me. But I think the majority of owners doing it are just regular guys

The recent account suspensions did not result from cancel and rebook. It was a different thing(s) altogether

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jason makes a good point when I make a studio reservation and a three bedroom to cancel rebook and upgrade and a second three bedroom as insurance, the end result is a deep discount for me and two reservations that go back available to the rest of the owners

Guess that's one way to look at it... or the other viewpoint is that if you weren't doing the cancel-rebook, you probably wouldn't have booked both of them to start with, and thereby tying up the inventory.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guess that's one way to look at it... or the other viewpoint is that if you weren't doing the cancel-rebook, you probably wouldn't have booked both of them to start with, and thereby tying up the inventory.

How about the folks that can't plan their vacations a year in advance so they make two or three reservations. Then when they confirm their time off, cancel the extras. It's the same thing. Reservations will still be tied up

But understand I'm not saying cancel and rebook is a good thing for the club. It isn't and Wyndham will I'm sure address it. The point of my post is to say that more regular owners will be affected than mega renters

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But understand I'm not saying cancel and rebook is a good thing for the club. It isn't and Wyndham will I'm sure address it.

If I remember correctly, the "discount" points are actually made up by Wyndham?

They will likely close the loophole because it's costing them money, not for any other altruistic reason.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
There are a lot of owners who do the cancel and rebook not just the mega renters.

When those units that are double booked come back into the system it means there is more inventory available for people like my husband and I whose jobs allow us to be very flexible in our travel plans and actually prefer being able to be more spontaneous or retired people who like us don't need or want to plan further ahead. So yes if people like Ron and other mega renters didn't double book, cancel and rebook there would be more inventory for people like you to book months out but then less for the other people like us who prefer booking closer in. It seems to balance out.

Some people have gotten the impression that it is the VIP owners and the owners who rent who are responsible for reservations being harder to find. I think there is more to take into consideration, a bigger picture. What I noticed in the Spring of 2015 was that Wyndham seemed to be taking a lot more inventory to sell than I ever remember seeing prior to that. And they started selling the inventory they took on Travelocity, Expedia and other sites. I also started seeing deals for stays on sites like Groupon, Living Social, Travelzoo. In the past two years I've noticed that Wyndham also hugely increased the amount of advertising for Extra Holidays and the program has really grown. Wyndham also brought World Mark and Shell into the fold. Also in the past couple of years the number of owners turning their accounts over to point managers has grown tremendously. The competition for the inventory has increased enormously.

Last edited:

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is something stated so often here that it is accepted as the truth.

It's my understanding that at 60 days prior to checkin, Wyndham can use available inventory for their own use. It seems logical that they could then make it available to vip members for a discount in points. Wyndham doesn't have to contribute anything.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is something stated so often here that it is accepted as the truth.

It's my understanding that at 60 days prior to checkin, Wyndham can use available inventory for their own use. It seems logical that they could then make it available to vip members for a discount in points. Wyndham doesn't have to contribute anything.

Yes, but the "occupancy related expenses" must be paid:

11.08 Wyndham Use. In addition to the right of Wyndham, as a Member and owner of Points, to make reservations using those Points at any time, Wyndham, in its capacity as the developer of resort communities and Vacation Plans, may reserve available Accommodations up to 60 days in advance of the first day of anticipated occupancy, for its own purposes, including renting to the public, provided it pays or otherwise causes a third party to pay the occupancy related expenses of such Accommodations for each night to be used. All such occupancy related expenses shall be determined by the Trustee. As a result of Wyndham’s use there will be less space available for Member use; however, Wyndham may not reserve the last 10% of available occupancy for a type of Accommodation until 30 days prior to the first day of intended use. In addition, to the extent more Points are available in the Plan than are allocated to Members other than Wyndham, Wyndham may sell or lease Points on such terms as Wyndham and the Trustee deem reasonable. The purchasers or lessees of such Points shall have such Membership rights as Wyndham and the Trustee deem appropriate.​

The question becomes "are he maintenance fees occupancy related expenses".

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people have gotten the impression that it is the VIP owners and the owners who rent who are responsible for reservations being harder to find. I think there is more to take into consideration, a bigger picture.
Indeed. And, the *very* big picture is that travel demand is up, and so more owners are using their points to travel rather than depositing them to RCI or pooling them in the hopes of future travel and/or just letting them expire. Tightening inventory is not just a Wyndham problem. Nearly every mini-system is experiencing the same thing. Lord knows the DVC folks are nearly apoplectic over how hard it has become to get non-home-resort reservations during the peak fall/early winter period.

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
But understand I'm not saying cancel and rebook is a good thing for the club. It isn't and Wyndham will I'm sure address it. The point of my post is to say that more regular owners will be affected than mega renters

Ron, can you please expand a little on this statement specifically related to why it isn't.

Lord knows the DVC folks are nearly apoplectic :eek: over how hard it has become to get non-home-resort reservations during the peak fall/early winter period.

GTK it's not just Wyndham owners that are high drama.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron, can you please expand a little on this statement specifically related to why it isn't.

GTK it's not just Wyndham owners that are high drama.

When Im at a resort sharing a hottub and chatting with other owners; if I mention that im in the 3 bedroom presidential unit at half the studio price, It bothers some folks, and worse than that when my guests say that they rented a unit from me for a bargain price it really upsets the folks that just dropped $20000 on 105000 points

and witness the bitching that Co-Skier does here on Tug and ace2000's comment in this thread

And consider this... I can take a million points and make 7 one bedroom reservations and 1 studio for mardi gras weekend 60 days before check in I play my game and get all 8 reservations at half the studio price (360000 point in total leaving 640000 points from my million) thenI use those 640000 points to make 6 reservations for Jazz Fest weekend which 60 days before check in i do it again and get all 6 at half the studio price leaving 424000 points out of my million which I will use for more high value reservation

So whats wrong with that? The discount was meant to put heads in beds, ie fill up the resorts at times of low occupancy. Instead Im using it to get multiple high value reservations. essentially cheating other owners. or at the very least giving them something to complain about

Wyndham wants a happy owner base, what I doing with cancel and rebook generates complaints, and thats not good for the club (or Wyndham)

Last edited:

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
When Im at a resort sharing a hottub and chatting with other owners; if I mention that im in the 3 bedroom presidential unit at half the studio price, It bothers some folks, and worse than that when my guests say that they rented a unit from me for a bargain price it really upsets the folks that just dropped $20000 on 105000 points

and witness the bitching that Co-Skier does here on Tug and ace2000's comment in this thread

And conside this... I can take a million points and make 7 one bedroom reservations and 1 studio for mardi gras weekend 60 days before check in I play my game and get all 8 reservations at half the studio price (360000 point in total leaving 640000 points from my million) thenI use those 640000 points to make 6 reservations for Jazz Fest weekend which 60 days before check in i do it again and get all 6 at half the studio price leaving 424000 points out of my million which I will use for more high value reservation

So whats wrong with that? The discount was meant to put heads in beds, ie fill up the resorts at times of low occupancy. Instead Im using it to get multiple high value reservations. essentially cheating other owners. or at the very least giving them something to complain about

Wyndham wants a happy owner base, what I doing with cancel and rebook generates complaints, and thats not good for the club (or Wyndham)

OK, thanks for putting effort into that explanation. Still have questions:

1) WHY do people feel the NEED to share their upgrade conquests in the hot tub with other owners? What's up with that? That's just pure hubris and as an owner would completely dismiss any information as true & accurate coming out of the mouth of a person that wears their financial conquests so front & center.

2) Was the discount ONLY intended to put "heads in beds?" The promise of a discount, and potential upgrade, was also intended as a come-get-me sales tool that has worked very effectively for Wyndham. The fact that high point owners have figured out how to work that to their advantage is a consequence that Wyndham had to realize would eventually happen and they have, as you have said before, allowed it to go on for years, ever since the inception of the VIP program.

3) Won't there always be owners that will find some reason to complain about some element of the various WYN programs they have chosen NOT to participate in? WYN chose to divide the ownership between the Haves & Have-Nots by creating VIP in the first place. Don't believe the bulk of the ownership base is as frustrated with their ownerships as reflected here in this forum. A very small percentage are TUG Members who tend to be somewhat over-exposed to the reality of ownership. So, what percentage of a 600K+ membership base is actually complaining?

4) Why do people think getting a discount and upgrade is "cheating" when the system itself was designed to allow for both?. WYN built it that way, they sell it that way, how is it actually cheating?

There is a hidden value to having mega-renters and point managers remain active, both to the membership base and to WYN sales. Personally don't believe the cancel & rebook hurts either WYN or the ownership base as much as people think it does. The small handful of informed Have-Nots will always hate it, the Haves that use it will be furious (aka apoplectic) if it disappears. The mega-renters will find a way around it, as will the point managers. But they will be less useful to the VIP's they serve if it disappears. Getting rid of cancel & rebook will have a ripple down consequence that will eventually adversely effect the entire ownership base.. Those complaining about it...... Be careful what you ask for....... It's going to kick you in the ass.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks for putting effort into that explanation. Still have questions:

1) WHY do people feel the NEED to share their upgrade conquests in the hot tub with other owners? What's up with that? That's just pure hubris and as an owner would completely dismiss any information as true & accurate coming out of the mouth of a person that wears their financial conquests so front & center.

2) Was the discount ONLY intended to put "heads in beds?" The promise of a discount, and potential upgrade, was also intended as a come-get-me sales tool that has worked very effectively for Wyndham. The fact that high point owners have figured out how to work that to their advantage is a consequence that Wyndham had to realize would eventually happen and they have, as you have said before, allowed it to go on for years, ever since the inception of the VIP program.

3) Won't there always be owners that will find some reason to complain about some element of the various WYN programs they have chosen NOT to participate in? WYN chose to divide the ownership between the Haves & Have-Nots by creating VIP in the first place. Don't believe the bulk of the ownership base is as frustrated with their ownerships as reflected here in this forum. A very small percentage are TUG Members who tend to be somewhat over-exposed to the reality of ownership. So, what percentage of a 600K+ membership base is actually complaining?

4) Why do people think getting a discount and upgrade is "cheating" when the system itself was designed to allow for both?. WYN built it that way, they sell it that way, how is it actually cheating?

There is a hidden value to having mega-renters and point managers remain active, both to the membership base and to WYN sales. Personally don't believe the cancel & rebook hurts either WYN or the ownership base as much as people think it does. The small handful of informed Have-Nots will always hate it, the Haves that use it will be furious (aka apoplectic) if it disappears. The mega-renters will find a way around it, as will the point managers. But they will be less useful to the VIP's they serve if it disappears. Getting rid of cancel & rebook will have a ripple down consequence that will eventually adversely effect the entire ownership base.. Those complaining about it...... Be careful what you ask for....... It's going to kick you in the ass.

On another day I can make the argument that Cancel and Rebook doesnt hurt anyone.

Wyndham however doesnt like it and thats all that counts. It is my belief that what they really dont like is that some folks have figured out how to profit from renting Wyndham timeshares; profit that they consider to be rightfully theirs. They know that the only thing that make large scale commercial renting work is the cancel and rebook trick, so I think they will do something to control it... what I dont know.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
On another day I can make the argument that Cancel and Rebook doesnt hurt anyone.

Wyndham however doesnt like it and thats all that counts. It is my belief that what they really dont like is that some folks have figured out how to profit from renting Wyndham timeshares; profit that they consider to be rightfully theirs. They know that the only thing that make large scale commercial renting work is the cancel and rebook trick, so I think they will do something to control it... what I dont know.

And now we get to real crux of it....... lost profits from WYN's pocket. Meaning, whatever inventory the mega-renter is now using to make $$ will get pulled out of the system to be used for WYN rentals. So, as stated before, the entire membership base still looses.

VetteSteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
And now we get to real crux of it....... lost profits from WYN's pocket. Meaning, whatever inventory the mega-renter is now using to make $$ will get pulled out of the system to be used for WYN rentals. So, as stated before, the entire membership base still looses.

Having been to several "Owner Updates", one of the sales tactics they push big time is the "cancel and rebook" pitch to make better use of the points. Buy more points and get double use of those points. So Wyndham will have to decide whether it is a better sales tool pitching cancel and rebook or changing the practice.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly. The mega-renter has effected the division (Extra Holidays) bottom line ... but they also effect the Sales Department. Many guests who rent from 'megarenters' laugh (take the gift money & run) at the Wyndham Sales group--- getting bigger units, less planning, no buy in costs, no ongoing commitment, no cleaning costs, no HKs/RTs, etc.

Plus, I have talked to many very verbal renters at the pools/Tiki bars ... telling me, "Why buy? Renting has no buyin costs, no ongoing costs, no planning a year in advance and I don't HAVE to go "STAY HERE" for 7 nights ... I can go cruising next vacation or Europe or stay home. Owning a timeshare is dumb/stupid.".

They even understand that exchanging costs MORE money and takes MORE planning/time than calling a hotel and booking something which can be cancelled without an issue. And people do cancel timeshare stays (days/hours before checkin) ... and TOTALLY expect all their money back (despite any contract they signed) because exceptions MUST always apply to them.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Having been to several "Owner Updates", one of the sales tactics they push big time is the "cancel and rebook" pitch to make better use of the points. Buy more points and get double use of those points. So Wyndham will have to decide whether it is a better sales tool pitching cancel and rebook or changing the practice.

Even if Wyndham takes away cancel and rebook, the sales force will still push it as a benefit. New owners will learn the reality long after the recession period is over.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if Wyndham takes away cancel and rebook, the sales force will still push it as a benefit. New owners will learn the reality long after the recession period is over.

The benefit is the discount. And that won't change. They will promote it just like they promote RCI last calls.

As you say, the reality is that the only stuff that's available is the stuff no one else wants

happyhopian

Reaction score

They will likely close the loophole because it's costing them money, not for any other altruistic reason.

I predict that they will NEVER close this 'hole'. This is the number 1 reason for VIP. I cannot tell you how many sales presentations/updates I have attended prior to being VIP and in EVERY instance - without exception - this was the number one selling point of a current owner to upgrade.

I cannot fathom that they would get rid of this benefit seeing that it makes them much more money than it cost but if I', wrong, what might others think the next number 1 selling point would be under the current system if they got rid of c/b discount points inside 60 days?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I predict that they will NEVER close this 'hole'. This is the number 1 reason for VIP. I cannot tell you how many sales presentations/updates I have attended prior to being VIP and in EVERY instance - without exception - this was the number one selling point of a current owner to upgrade.

I cannot fathom that they would get rid of this benefit seeing that it makes them much more money than it cost but if I', wrong, what might others think the next number 1 selling point would be under the current system if they got rid of c/b discount points inside 60 days?

Worldmark doesn't have a discount program. Wyndham seems to do ok selling it. Their favorite pitch seems to be the ability to use credits For things other than vacations at the resorts. So maybe they could do the same thing at club Wyndham. They have an association with a cruise line now.

The average Wyndham owner has something like 250000 points I don't think the VIP sales are are a big part of the Average Wyndham salesmans income. In fact the typical VIP owner doesn't get there all at once. They reach that level in several smaller sales. The point is that there are relatively few million point sales and that most sales are for less than 300000 points And the salesmen really don't need cancel and rebook to make sales. they will sell VIP to the status seekers

Now consider ovation In the past Wyndham had to buy or build the resorts before they could sell any points.and there was a ton of corporate money tied up for a long time before the resort was built and they could start selling. 16% was their target for the cost of goods sold. Now with ovation the cost of goods sold is zero. I'm thinking they are making so much money reselling all these contracts, that they don't need as many upgrades to VIP and they won't have to promote a loophole to make sales

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
...they will sell VIP to the status seekers

That statement is grossly overstated. You cannot possibly presume to know all the various motivations people have had to purchase VIP or what pressures were brought to bear at the time of the sale on the owners. MANY VIP owners purchased simply to get a better "stretch" on the points to maximize the number of holidays they could take with and for their families. The stretch included both discount AND upgrade, always based on availability. Status has nothing to do with those criteria.

Worldmark doesn't have a discount program. Wyndham seems to do ok selling it.

Big difference in how Worldmark The Club grew their ownership base vs how Wyndham has grown theirs. Also huge volume differences in the ownership base and number of properties. Location of WM product also influences the sale. Worldmark built a tiered benefits system into their program a long time ago and it is a completely different structure. Comparing the two systems is apples and oranges. The commonality is " Wyndham Managed."

Now consider ovation.....
Wyndham has been saving on the COG long before Ovation came into play. When CWA was introduced it was on the back of the R.E. downturn where a good portion of the defaulted deeds were taken back by the resorts, "sold" to the CWA trust for $1/ea so that sales could then recycle the unattached points as CWA contracts. It cost the resorts and owners of those resorts so that WYN could report a low COG on their FS's.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip>

Wyndham has been saving on the COG long before Ovation came into play. When CWA was introduced it was on the back of the R.E. downturn where a good portion of the defaulted deeds were taken back by the resorts, "sold" to the CWA trust for $1/ea so that sales could then recycle the unattached points as CWA contracts. It cost the resorts and owners of those resorts so that WYN could report a low COG on their FS's.

The defaulted deeds ... foreclosed on with all legal costs paid along with all unpaid MFs by each resort's HOA. The HOAs ... controlled by Wyndham employees ... could not sell any deeds. MFs went up for the paying owners, Wyndham got voting control of the HOAs, and "fixed week 7 day" stay resorts became more motel like (with higher HOA operating costs ... housekeeping & wear & tear).

Resort owners (CWP & F/W) think & act different than 'Club Membership' .. IMHO. They directly paid for the furniture, stayed in the same unit each visit (F/W), developed friendships with other owners (their weekly neighbors) and thought of the staff as part of their family & friends.

I understand, CWA did solve the issue regarding the low season ownership MFs payment and occupancy...for the older F/W resorts. But there is a cost to the older owners ... both financial and personal.

happyhopian

Reaction score
The average Wyndham owner has something like 250000 points I don't think the VIP sales are are a big part of the Average Wyndham salesmans income. In fact the typical VIP owner doesn't get there all at once. They reach that level in several smaller sales. The point is that there are relatively few million point sales and that most sales are for less than 300000 points And the salesmen really don't need cancel and rebook to make sales. they will sell VIP to the status seekers

Two contrarian points to your statements which I am not sure I understand. First worldmark does not do as well as Wyndham in sales according to the few sales reps I have spoken with. I would not compare the bulky Wyndham product to worldmark in a different tier. Second you didn't offer what would be Wyndham's pitch to VIP upgrade sales if they took away point discounts. VIP is their poster. They tell every owner 'this is where you want to be'. It is the fully loaded lexus, though most buy the lower model - it is the one that catches every eye and for which they base all comparisons to. I do not think anyone cares enough about status to spend 100k with a timeshare company and without the VIP point discounts they have nothing of value in VIP and I simply do not see another upside. Look - no one strives to be a million miler just for the cool colored card. They want the ability to get on the plane first, get discount booking points and free upgrades. Sound familiar? Heck I would just rent the points AND it would send aftermarket points prices WAY UP as the only downside is no VIP. Who would ever again buy developer points?

Ron you're a great guy and I might agree with your inclination that Wyndham could void themselves of the c/b issue if someone could point out to me a benefit that would be used as the replacement lead selling point to upgrades. To state that people will spend hundreds of thousands for 'status' is wrong and there is absolutely no proof of this in any other model. In every VIP instance, there are significant benefits that can be applied to the value. That might well apply to reserve where the units are better but in EVERY sales pitch I have been to, every video, every update VIP and discounts has been the leading push. All those 250,000 contracts are simply the price of admission on the way to a life time of upgrade pitches about how much better life is as a vip with point discounts.

Also, let us all not forget the impact of removing or changing the VIP program rules. Wyndham has the ability to change anything in VIP at any time with no remuneration. This we can agree on but I also hope that we can agree that for every action comes an equal and opposite reaction. So Wyndham has to calculate that cost against the other. Do they lose mega renters? Do they lose potential sales to new owners from said mega renters who send in fresh meat? Can they quickly resale 1 billion points if they make the market untenable for businesses? Are those points held in names or llc's (Wyndham allowed this several years back. I know mine are how many others are? Are they paid for free and clear? Who's going to replace the MF on 1 billion or more points?

Many have stated that Wyndham will just expand into the rental market while I agree, I think they want both. Wyndham wants 100% occupancy at every resort all the time. It is the mechanism which feeds leads into the sales system. What they don't want is the overhead attached to that. Mega-Owners in the rental market are providing Wyndham a very valuable service - putting sales leads in the system while also paying MF on their product. IF Wyndham takes this over they may well see an increase in revenue - but an increase in their inventory on their rental channels might also churn prices in those segments. As a corporation they will not engage the Ebay/craigslist/homeaway market as individual sellers do (tell me who is and why they would take on that liability).

Since I have been an owner people have complained about CB - honestly since before I was an owner from my days reading here. CB wasn't removed when folks first started complaining about it and the volume isn't any louder today than it was 4 years ago or longer. The new reservation system that was going to 'put an end to CB' has come and gone and come in many fashions but they larger premise has been to better track points.

Without the 'total overhaul' (which is rumored to have been a failure) they have implemented many changes on the booking system. They have changed the return of points to contracts as opposed to cancelled points. They have been able to alter the return of cancelled units to the system. They have been able to alter inventory and options on a per user basis. They have been able to collect meta-data on owner bookings to feed the aforementioned algorithms.

Wyndham according to the stock price and latest update is doing just fine. There are lots of complaints in their world but I hear nothing about CB being one they want to get into and while it might seem like a simple fix to many - it has serious consequences I cannot imaging Wyndham will ever move into. Ultimately it will come to this for any major corporation - is the risk worth the reward. This would be a VERY risky venture and Wyndham has always played the risk averse angle.

Think about this -- does Delta airlines care that paying passengers are pissed off that they can't get free upgrades, or flight availability because VIP travelers took up inventory with free miles or got to pick the best seats at no additional cost? No they don't but you can bet your bottom dollar that Delta customers get pissed about it. I listened to a guy at the airport waylay a check-in associate about luggage fees after watching two people skip the line of 70 people, to drop off three bags each at no charge after he waiting an hour to pay $200 for his bags. What we are witnessing here is just the cost of doing business.IMHO

If they change it I am gone. It will make my resale worth more since no one will care about VIP status any longer and resales will be the way of the future. I will become a full time customer to many of my friends on here and rent through ebay at already discounted pricing as a result of inventory movements. Everyone likes their timeshare for different reasons. I like mine because I get discounts with 2 million points I give them away to folks to use and bank the rest. I'm not a mega renter, though I have rented.

Last edited: