• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadians who timeshare

hellolani

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the place to post, but I've been wondering for a while now -

Where do other Canadians like to holiday? With our dollar now relatively weak compared to USD and both exchange companies charging in US fees, I've gotten more interested in the "Own where you want to go" principle.

I own 2 US timeshares and trade via II into Mexico primarily, because once you get there our dollar still goes a long way.

But now with my 2nd kid about to turn 2 and have to pay for airfare, I'm interested in where other Canadians own to go and own to trade, especially if you have a young family.

Really appreciate your responses or suggestion of where this post should go.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi Hellolani ,
Non AI resorts in Mexico make a lot of sense for the reasons you outlined .

For Vancouver you also get to add Alaskan Air / Seattle as a good airline choice to Mexico
as well as Westjet & Air Canada . In Ontario - Sunwing and Air Transat can have good prices
and are non stop / 5 hours to the west coast resort cities in Mexico .I am not sure how much they offer from BC or the west .
We went to Mazatlan in 2010 and it was full of Canadians from west of Winnipeg .
Since ElCid , Pueblo Bonita and others are based there the shoulder week deals on RCI
seem pretty good .

My MF for a Mayan Palace one bedroom suite is currently $ 700 USD .
This year I used both our weeks for a February - ( winter is too cold ) in PV / NV
( two weeks =1 flight / In 2015 we did Cancun Feb & PV April = 2 flight ) the change was partly due to cost and a desire to try
2 consecutive weeks away from winter / the downside - it is a long time until May and nice weather at home .

Both MF went on credit cards that had points that could be used to lower my net cost in loonies .
My original TD card is now point burned out .so I am now using a new TD Aeroplan with the hope that that will reduce next years flight cost . This years flight used some Alaska Air miles - so we paid about $ 600 cdn per ticket (2) to PV .
The Capital One Aspire gives the best points ( 2 per $ ) so all our groceries go on that , as well as big dollar stuff like dentist bills ( my $ 1800 root canal)
I am hopping it will knock about $ 3-5 hundred off the $ 900 in loonies cost when we book our 6 month advanced window / residence week in August .

While in Mexico we used the Chase Canada / Marriott rewards Visa because it has no foreign transaction fees and has generally given me a better exchange rate than I see posted at PV banks while there .
The cost per Marriott point is only OK but it comes with one free night for the $ 120 annual fee . We have been using those free nights for a one bedroom suite at USA Residece Inn by Marriott where the per night is generally over $ 150 USD

Anyway - those are the kinds of exchange rate choices that have been working
for us .

We have a cottage near Lake Huron so our TS use is for winter at this time .

When we retire in the next 5 + years - the cottage probably becomes our primary residence and I could see using RCI last call etc for late fall in the USA or Mexico . We have a Canadian based Vacation Club that averages 17 TPU when deposited . It was how our TS adventure started and while the TPU' s are only OK , it is member directed and works hard to keep MF at $ 699 USD .It is a RTU that ends before we are 80 - so no complicated legacy issues .

Our 2 children are over age 25 - so they do their own travel,. That said - they have both joined us in Mexico at least once . Family vacations and memories are a good reason to use timeshares with any age family members .

.I hope other Canadians add to your thread

Last edited:

Pardytime

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, Wyndham
I retired last year, DH is semi-retired and although not in the same age bracket as you, we do travel a lot with our extended family.

We have enough points through HGVC and Wyndham for about 5 weeks in a 1 Bdrm, and we burn through them no problem every year. We stay in timeshares in Las Vegas every year, usually meeting up with adult family members who live in BC and Alta. We just came back from 3 weeks in Orlando, having exchanged through RCI into DVC, which was really a treat. Our Wyndham home resort is Old Town Alexandria, my favourite timeshare for urban location and we usually drive there.

We have not yet exchanged into or rented a timeshare in Mexico, as I am usually able to find an all-inclusive at an acceptable price via one of the travel websites. We do not restrict our travel to timeshares, though. For example, I went on a couple of cruises this past year with family members, and rented an apartment in Rome pre and post cruise. We also rented a house in Phoenix before Christmas, as our group was too big.
I don't know about Vancouver, but it is becoming very challenging to find direct flights from Ottawa to anywhere in the US or Mexico. I find we are now staying longer in places that we fly to, as it seems like one day each way is given over to travel status.
Happy travels.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hellolani

We have been timesharing since our kids were fairly young but we also had a trailer at a lake in BC for 11 summers while the kids were little. They are now 20 and 22 and they loved summers at the lake. They had lake friends and school friends and are still in touch with some of their lake friends.

For holidays we too had to consider the low Canadian dollar and that is part of the reason we started timesharing. Just being able to cook many of our meals kept the costs down. Another way to save was we drove to many locations and only booked airfares every 18-24 months. Our kids got used to very long road trips. We drove to Califorernia twice, Utah, from Ottawa to Calgary etc. A few times we would fly to one location and then drive to a second location(Orlando and Hilton Head).

I know it's local for you but we love Vancouver, Victoria and Whistler. I also agree with Mexico where the Canadian dollar does not seem so low.

Joan

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi from Qualicum Beach, BC

We do our summers here on the Island where we live and also go to Oliver BC for a week. We live in one of the most beautiful areas of Canada IMO and I cannot justify going somewhere else when we live in our own little paradise. We like to camp at local lakes etc. Quadra Island near Campbell River is a big favourite as we have family there. For TS trips we go to Maui every other year. Yes quite crazy with the exchange rate but we own a week at an oceanfront resort in Lahaina and we also have friends who own a condo outright in Kihei...we do a week at each place. The great deal we get at our friends condo helps to make up for the crappy exchange rate a little. I collect travel points with my credit card so it usually pays for our plane flights. Nice to see a Canadian Thread on the go!!:cheer:

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 2 kids, 2 years and 7 months. We haven't done Mexico with them yet, but have done Hawaii, twice with the older one. I find eating in and doing free activities (beach/pool) helps keep costs down.

We're also planning some drive to mountain vacations, lots of TS options in the rockies, and we are thinking of renting out our SDO and then using getaway/last call for shoulder season in the mountains.

From vancouver, one option might be a 3-4 day one way cruise to or from California. They are often as cheap as flying, and you get 3 days of meals and entertainment as well.

ChrisandBeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nanaimo says hi too

we use our Worldmark and Vacation Internationale TS for overnights in Victoria and Vancouver frequently. We also still,travel to the US but this year we have cut back on US travel because of the dollar. And if Trump is elected I will only travel to the continental US for meetings.

I am not yet fully retired and don't really care for Mexico so DW and girlfriends travel to PV once a year.

I don't think the USD/CDN dollar spread will stay this wide forever, and in 2-3 years I expect to see within 5 points of parity.

If the dollar were to stay at current levels forever I would curb my travel but given I can easily recover my MF by renting out points to other WM/VI owners I don't plan on selling. I have a Mazatlan week that the RTU expires next year. I doubt I'll renew or replace it.

Chris

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello back to Nanaimo!

My hubby plays in a band at The Well a few times a year...ever go there? Mid Life Crisis is the band, classic rock. He lived there for many years and his family is still there...next gig is June 25th actually!....have a great day!

Greg G

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
We do our summers here on the Island where we live and also go to Oliver BC for a week. We live in one of the most beautiful areas of Canada IMO and I cannot justify going somewhere else when we live in our own little paradise. We like to camp at local lakes etc. Quadra Island near Campbell River is a big favourite as we have family there. For TS trips we go to Maui every other year. Yes quite crazy with the exchange rate but we own a week at an oceanfront resort in Lahaina and we also have friends who own a condo outright in Kihei...we do a week at each place. The great deal we get at our friends condo helps to make up for the crappy exchange rate a little. I collect travel points with my credit card so it usually pays for our plane flights. Nice to see a Canadian Thread on the go!!:cheer:

kalima

I can see why you live and summer on Vancouver Island. That is one amazing place. I've been there twice and can still see myself going back many,many times in the future.

Greg

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Northern Ontario. We are about 7 hrs north of Toronto. We only use our timeshare right now in the winter for one week. While the Canadian dollar right now is a factor in travelling we still have to pay our MF so may as well use the week and enjoy it. We spent very little money while we were there. We went to South Carolina and had a great time. In the summer we generally only vacation in ontario. We have a cottage( or camp as we call them) in Northern Ontario 45 min from home. We also like going to southern ontario about every other summer and Ottawa in a new regular vacation place now as our son (17) is moving there in September and one lived their for 6 months this yr. I do plan on taking one or two day trips into Michigan this summer regardless of the dollar because I love Michigan!

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
You can never go wrong with Hawaii ! This is where I mostly go. I've been to all the islands and Maui was my favorite until I discovered Ko Olina on Oahu. It's like being in Kaanapali without the crowds, easier to trade into, cheaper and more variety of restaurants close by, more things to see if we want to go explore.

I found Kauai to be really quiet and if that is your thing, its really peaceful except for all the roosters that start squawking at 5 AM every morning outside. You wouldn't believe how many times I thought they should be on my plate instead of outside my window.

The Big Island is vast and alot of nature to be had, but the resort we had was not the same quality as Marriott or Westin and it was not at the beach so we had to pack up the vehicle to go to the beach. The Volcanos were great to see, but not really an island I am running back to.

The great thing about Hawaii is that it is paradise, everyone speaks english, its safe to wander at anytime of the day, and people are so friendly/welcoming.

I've been to Mexico a few times and it is nice as well, but not the same comfortable feeling of being able to go anywhere you want to go explore in your car. I remember being pulled over in Cancun by the Mexican Police trying to shake down another tourist. Good thing is that I kept saying I didn't understand him and he finally gave up on trying to get money from us. I didn't drink any of the local water and was very careful about not having ice cubes in my drinks. I drove to see all the ruins, but you do have to be careful. Driving can be hairy down there. Going through the hassle of Mexican customs and some of the incidents of late, meh, I would rather not if I had a choice. I'll pay a couple extra bucks to feel safer personally and the food/water around me.

Disneyworld / Disneyland is always a kid's paradise and a good travel option when the kids are a bit older but expensive to get into the parks and the food there.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought our first timeshare week in 1992, and 2 more within a few years. We have completed over 100 exchanges, almost all of them in the US. We have been to Hawaii, and many other places in the US, from California to Florida. Over the years, we found it was often cheaper to fly from Buffalo than to travel within Canada. It is just in the past few years that we have begun to stay in timeshares in Ontario, so we can easily take our two grandchildren (ages 7 and 5) away for a summer week.

For many years, we used our weeks for Florida at March Break with our kids. Six years ago, we bought a mobile home in a 55-plus community, just south of Orlando. Now we use our timeshare weeks for Vegas, Arizona, etc., during the early fall. Life is good!

Dori

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've owned timeshares for 16 years now and have had a ton of great experiences. Within Canada we've enjoyed Mont Tremblant for a ski week, Clear Lake Manitoba for "May long", Lethbridge for a golf getaway,Banff for both summer and winter getaways, Radium, Panorama and Whistler for ski weeks and Pacific Shores on Vancouver Island for a great touring base. Also did a week in Uclulet, but I don't believe that resort is available anymore.
Additionally we have enjoyed visiting many places in the US and Carribean that we would not have considered otherwise. (Sedona, the Berkshires, Long Island,Carlsbad, St Lucia, Grand Cayman, USVI... ) Yes, the state of the dollar sometimes makes things more difficult, but we tend to cut back on eating out and activiies rather than not going at all. By using Aeroplan and Air Miles for flights and watching air fares carefully, there are some savings to be found. One February break we were able to get 11 Air Miles seats to Grand Cayman from all over western Canada. Another possibility is using the WestJet companion fare ticket for the more expensive flights. (Through the RBC Mastrcard. The yearly fee may be less than the cost of the airfare and then your luggage is free)

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another possibility is to look at doing direct exchanges with other Tuggers with your weeks. This eliminates the exchange fees, which are considerable!

ValHam

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in timeshares and hotels 6 months out of the year - The last few years we have travelled to Asia for 7 weeks - staying in timeshares in Thailand -We also traded for timeshares in Bali for a few years - really low cost holiday -

Last year we returned to Vancouver after Asia for 7 weeks - We stayed here shortly and went off to the Grand Mayan Riviera for 3 weeks - used extra holidays and Alaska Airlines credit card - 2 for 1 airfare

Returned to Vancouver for 3 weeks and off to Europe and Africa - Stayed in timeshares in Scotland - timeshares in Paris - did all inclusive in Marrakech - In Sorrento Italy we used extra holidays with Interval.

Europe is expensive compared to Asia - Marrakech was cheap.

This year we go off to P.V. for 2 months - home again and to the Middle East -
Israel is expensive - Greece seems so so - Petra seems expensive - good luck

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I love this thread because I'm considering exchanging into a eastern Canadian TS next summer. I only want to drive 5 hours Max from MI and found some really nice resorts and I'm trying to figure out where to go. Thank you for starting this thread.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love this thread because I'm considering exchanging into a eastern Canadian TS next summer. I only want to drive 5 hours Max from MI and found some really nice resorts and I'm trying to figure out where to go. Thank you for starting this thread.
Québec is a must. The center of town artisans and cobble stone ways, and the restaurants on the grand Blvd, if you go in the may you can get some of the best strawberries.

AND, most importantly when you pick up your wine and beer, don't forget to get some weed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Québec is a must. The center of town artisans and cobble stone ways, and the restaurants on the grand Blvd, if you go in the may you can get some of the best strawberries.

AND, most importantly when you pick up your wine and beer, don't forget to get some weed

Can you recommend a good TS near Québec? thanks

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't remember the names off hand, but there is a cluster of TSs east of the city about 20. Miles east along the river. They are across from ile Orleans, and about 5 miles north of there. French names of course. They are actually in the start of the skiing area. That make the arrangement off season nice benifit if your really there to see the city. There is a lake way up there, so you can go mountain biking in heavy forest. Not for old farts.

Last edited:

ValHam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also used extra holidays for vacation weeks in Banff. Extra weeks and last call is usually available in Kelowna. - Lots of options close to home. We also live in Vancouver.:cheer:

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you recommend a good TS near Québec? thanks

There really isn't a great exchange near Quebec. They are all located near Mont Sainte Anne, the ski hill about 50 minutes north of the city, and the accomodations are ski country basic. You would not stay there to visit the old town Quebec. As aging skiers, we've stayed in a couple over the years. One had serious stairs to climb to get to the unit. In Quebec earlier this spring we found a great B & B which we would return to. Beautiful area though in all seasons!

The only quality TS resort in the whole province was Intrawest Mt. Tremblant, which is off the system and is now Embarc Mt. Tremblant. The units can be rented through any hotel aggregator, but are just too pricey. Location is great for golfing, biking and hiking, but not ideal for skiers.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
The only quality TS resort in the whole province was Intrawest Mt. Tremblant, which is off the system and is now Embarc Mt. Tremblant. The units can be rented through any hotel aggregator, but are just too pricey. Location is great for golfing, biking and hiking, but not ideal for skiers.

What do you mean by "off the system"? All former Intrawest resorts (now Embarc) still trade in II, and there are bulk deposits made in II periodically which are posted in Sightings. There are still summer 2017 units available in Embarc Tremblant from the last bulk deposit.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "off the system"? All former Intrawest resorts (now Embarc) still trade in II, and there are bulk deposits made in II periodically which are posted in Sightings. There are still summer 2017 units available in Embarc Tremblant from the last bulk deposit.

Thanks tashamen....I knew it had switched from RCI to II years ago but while biking in Tremblant in early August I was told as we cycled by the tennis courts that it was now a rental complex.... and I've gone on line to check it out as we've traded in there three times over the last 15years and had wonderful stays. Glad to hear it is still available through II.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Spend US dollars in the US

When we bought our US timeshare years ago we put aside several years of MF in a US dollar account. When the loonie is low we draw on that. When the loonie is high we replenish it. It's what a lot of snowbirds do so we replicate it on a smaller scale. Now the big green bank has a branch in Hilton Head and US-domiciled accounts for Canadians so our strategy is easier and less costly to implement.

oceanvps

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi from White Rock

Hi,

We own worldmark, vi and a marriott week.
Was liking it more when the dollar was at par but oh well, now we can't vacation in anything less than a condo. We have a newly 7 year old. Got the timeshares 3/4 years ago she thinks its weird if we don't have a kitchen and separate bedrooms when we vacation.

we do hawaii a lot because the flight is so easy from vancouver, for some reason the good deals from seattle are pretty much the same so we tend to fly out of vancouver.

worldmark and vi both have canadian resorts so whistler, victoria, going to to canmore/banff. worldmark and vi are both heavy on the west coast so use it for california, oregon, washington resorts.

rbc has a us affiliate so i do the same as above, if the us drops a bit then i buy and dump it in the RBC US Based accounts.

Joanne