• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can a rental reservation be reversed?

jojobebe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking to rent a timeshare in Florida. The renter indicates they will send me a reservation in my name, where upon, they will expect full payment via PayPal. I plan to call the resort to verify before making the payment. My question, can the owner reverse the reservation after receiving my payment and take it out of my name?

Thank you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - but that would be a crime, and a really stupid thing to do, because there is no way they can get away with it. Both the renter and the resort have all of the owner's contact information, so their next stop would be a lawsuit, possible criminal charges and a ruined reputation.

It is extremely rare to have problems with an actual timeshare owner - the people you have to worry about are the scammers, who aren't even owners, and are renting phony reservations and committing outright fraud.

With a little due diligence, it's pretty easy to protect yourself-

HOW TO VERIFY THAT A RENTAL IS LEGIT:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109479

Last edited:

jojobebe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I assumed as much but had a bad experience recently and was being overly cautious.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks for the quick response. I assumed as much but had a bad experience recently and was being overly cautious.

Another thing you can do, for your own peace of mind, is to keep re-checking the reservation while you are waiting for your vacation to arrive. A good plan is to call reservations or the resort once a month, then a week before check-in, then the day before check-in. Then you will KNOW it's still in place.

Many resorts systems have a central reservations office, and don't actually sent the guest's information out to the front desk until 2-8 weeks before check-in, so sometimes you have to check with reservations, instead of the front desk.

*You should still do your due diligence BEFORE you pay for the reservation.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The hardest job a renter has is convincing his prospective customer that he isn't just trying to steal their money. When I started as a renter, I did my best but ultimately I just gave up. I now wholesale most of my Wyndham points to travel agencies and vacation clubs. I still do some with regular customers that have learned to trust me.and their referrals l, but not many If I get a call from someone that clearly doesn't trust me (a call from someone like you) I tell them to move on. I don't want to be bothered

Ok rant over

To answer your question directly. Yes the owner can always cancel the reservation and steal your money and perhaps leave you in a strange town with no place to stay. Either take the risk and trust someone. Or don't... it's up to you. I'm not saying don't do your due diligence. Of course check the guy out. But at some point you have to decide to trust him or not.

jojobebe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting feedback Ron. I believe I will take the high road and just say thanks for taking the time.

Denise, I did receive a confirmation reservation. My name has been added to the reservation as a "guest". Would you agree that is sufficient. Thanks

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I've asked for referrals from renters, I collect these with their permission, after the rental is finished. Then when I am renting to someone who wants to confirm my rental legitimacy, I provide 1 or 2 referrals for that property or chain.

I have many renters, who are long time renter, or referral from renters.

I agree Ron it can be a headache, trying to determine if either party is screwing the other.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise, I did receive a confirmation reservation. My name has been added to the reservation as a "guest". Would you agree that is sufficient. Thanks

No - It is super easy to fake a confirmation - that is what scammers do. You should follow the procedure that I posted a link to above.

jojobebe

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok, here is what I have so far:
1. Spoke and emailed the gentleman several times. He has answered all my inquiries, he is definitely the owner per below
2. He sent me a scan and a hardcopy of the reservation with the Marriott logo on the form. His name is on the reservation and I am entered as a "guest".
3. I went on line to marriott.com and confirmed there was a reservation with the confirmation # he provided. It is under his name.
4. I have spoke with several renters who confirmed the week I need (Sat to Sat) is not available, sold out
5. The reservation is for Fri to Fri and the renter supports the sold out environment telling me he cannot change it to Sat to Sat. I am willing to take it and lose the one day
6. Calling the Marriott only confirms the reservation exists in his name.
7. He wants me to mail him a check rather than paypal to avoid the fees (is that a red flag?)
8. His address is in the Virgin Islands, his phone # is in the States. He explained he spends 6 months in each location (red flag?)

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I hope I am not being annoying. Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That sounds like you have done your due diligence. Just be aware that you have no recourse if you send a check (if you are concerned about that.) If you want to use PayPal, offer to pay the 2.9% fee.

jojobebe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I do not believe PayPal guarantees anything or offers any refunds. It helps to avoid giving out your credit card or bank information but not sure what else it offers? Am I mistaken?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you pay with a credit card through PayPal, you can dispute the payment through your credit card within a certain timeframe. Paypal's "Buyer Protection" allows you to dispute the payment for 6 months.

jojobebe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The buyers protection plan at PayPal does not cover "real estate transactions", I will check with them if a rental qualifies. Appreciate your time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paypal does not permit the buying and selling of Real Estate at all, but they do permit vacation rentals.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I am looking to rent a timeshare in Florida. The renter indicates they will send me a reservation in my name, where upon, they will expect full payment via PayPal. I plan to call the resort to verify before making the payment. My question, can the owner reverse the reservation after receiving my payment and take it out of my name?

Thank you.

With some minor variations, that's the way most of us do things. Denise nailed it -- it can happen but the consequences are dire.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
I know with Disney Vacation Club, there have been owners who didn't pay their annual fees or were behind in their mortgage payments to DVC. In that case, DVC cancelled the reservation and took over the person's account. That left the renter out of money and no reservation.