• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying Pesos Before Trip

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not true (perhaps a typo?). I had no problem getting 6000 pesos from a Santander ATM in December.
I think I just wasn't clear. I meant $1000 USD in Pesos, which would be about $20,000 Peso, that would require at least two ATM withdrawals.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't argue with the convenience of laying in a supply at your local bank. There is a cost to this. In Bill's example above, the rate was 20.20 pesos/USD vs. whatever the official exchange rate was on the day of the transaction. But for the OP- who started this ball rolling- this is for a first trip to Mexico. They are not going to know how much to exchange. For many of us who travel regularly, having a little 'carry-over' local currency- Pesos, or Euros, to take care of 1st day expenses until we get to our preferred exchange place is great. But for those on a first trip- who may never go back- the odds of having foreign currency that feel 'forced' to spend before leaving (I have some Saki from Japan just because of this) increases the cost far above an ATM fee.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I can't argue with the convenience of laying in a supply at your local bank. There is a cost to this. In Bill's example above, the rate was 20.20 pesos/USD vs. whatever the official exchange rate was on the day of the transaction. But for the OP- who started this ball rolling- this is for a first trip to Mexico. They are not going to know how much to exchange. For many of us who travel regularly, having a little 'carry-over' local currency- Pesos, or Euros, to take care of 1st day expenses until we get to our preferred exchange place is great. But for those on a first trip- who may never go back- the odds of having foreign currency that feel 'forced' to spend before leaving (I have some Saki from Japan just because of this) increases the cost far above an ATM fee.
Even for a first trip, buying Pesos in advance for those first few days expenses is advisable. There certainly isn't anything wrong or negative about it. It will still be cheaper in most cases than paying US$ for those same expenses. $5000 Pesos doesn't really go that far. It is very unlikely that you will end up with leftovers at the end of your trip.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even for a first trip, buying Pesos in advance for those first few days expenses is advisable. There certainly isn't anything wrong or negative about it. It will still be cheaper in most cases than paying US$ for those same expenses. $5000 Pesos doesn't really go that far. It is very unlikely that you will end up with leftovers at the end of your trip.

Most of us wouldn't have any trouble spending the roughly $250USD in pesos in a week, but for some people- particularly if going to an all-inclusive resort, or uncomfortable in a 'foreign' country they might have leftovers. Yes, we know that one can use pesos to pay down the inevitable departure bill, or spread them around as gratuities. Using Bill's example, he bought nearly double your suggestion and his guests ended up acting as an exchange for other travelers with much of the money. He didn't mention what rate they got.

In the end, there is no ONE correct answer of whether to exchange at home or on arrival, and/or how much is appropriate. It's a personal choice. The ONLY absolute is that the FOREX booth at the airport is the WORST POSSIBLE exchange place.

Jim

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just use the ATM's. With our Chase debit card that we only use for travel, all ATM fees are rebated. In PV all ATM's give the same rate of exchange, so the airport ATM's are fine. There is one in the bank of ATM's that will give out a larger amount of pesos. We are there for 3-4 weeks, so that is a good one for us to use. Saves time later.

Jim, is the Forex booth a Cambio?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, is the Forex booth a Cambio?

I apparently mis-spoke. The worldwide bugaboo at darn near every international airport is Travelex. https://www.travelex.com/ Might as well be a cambio (which actually means exchange). Sorry for the confusion.