• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying in Mexico

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are now in Mexico and got offered a TS in Grand Solmar.

It is a 1BR each other year for 48 years + 4 Plat weeks also each other year.

What is the value of that.

Thanks for the help.

Sam

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In today's market, under $1000. I couldn't find comparables in eBay, but that's about what Mexican resorts go for. Many can be had for $1.

Don't buy anything from the developer. Buy resale only! If you already bought, rescind asap! $ave thousand$!

Jim

Last edited:

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Penthouse on Ebay

There's a 2BR 3BA penthouse on Ebay right now. My guess is you'll pay more for your 1BR, but why?:doh:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We are now in Mexico and got offered a TS in Grand Solmar.

It is a 1BR each other year for 48 years + 4 Plat weeks also each other year.

What is the value of that.

Thanks for the help.

Sam

I would never buy from the developer in Mexico:

1) Retail prices are ridiculously inflated - you can save 90-100% buying the same thing on the resale market.

2) The sales people in Mexico are infamous for fraudulent sales practices.

3) You will have to finance it.

4) They told you that you can cover all your fees, and even make a big profit by renting extra weeks. This is a common ploy, and it's a lie - the fact is that the Mexico timeshare rental market is in a terrible slump, and you will have difficulty renting the weeks AT ANY PRICE!

5) Mexico is the easiest trade in the world. You can buy a $1 timeshare on eBay and use it to trade into Mexico every day of the week.

DON'T DO IT!

When you get home, come back to TUG and do your homework with no pressure, and take your time to make the best decision for your family.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not anywhere near what they are asking!

There is a whole section here devoted to Mexico TSs just scroll down. Must reading .

If purchased, rescind and file dispute with credit card company.

lossy61

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the other posters. I have two TSs in Mexico and am definitely regretting my ownership. Resale is the way to go. Lots of great deals!

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bying in Mexico

Thanks to all tuggers. I do own Worldmark for over 10 years and I love it. I just thought I check since they went down from 55K to $6400.

Dennis, you are right. They told me all these things.

One more question. What about 20 weeks in Grand Mayan Resorts for $1700 and $695 per week when I reserve it. Any thought on that.

Thanks again.

Sam

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One more question. What about 20 weeks in Grand Mayan Resorts for $1700 and $695 per week when I reserve it. Any thought on that.

What about depositing a week of your Worldmark into SFX and exchanging into Grand Mayan for $149.00 per week when you reserve it?

You would save a lot of money doing that for 20 vs. buying a right to rent from the resort or a vacation club.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What about 20 weeks in Grand Mayan Resorts for $1700 and $695 per week when I reserve it. Any thought on that.

I assume you are still hoping that you can some how rent these weeks? Right now travel to Mexico is really depressed, and there is far more supply than demand. You'd be lucky to rent a few - at cost. Owning a timeshare is not a money maker - you need to forget about most of what the sales person told you.

Last edited:

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are back home now and did buy any. I will simply exchange when I need too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sam

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We are back home now and did buy any. I will simply exchange when I need too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sam

Yup.. I wouldn't buy a Solmar or Mayan week. Maybe some more UVC premiere weeks in Mexico if I was going to buy anything at all.

Sometimes its even less to rent in Mexico than to trade. With WM you can get the instant exchange for 4000 points and fee with RCI 45 days out and almost anything else for full point value trades

Bill.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Solmar

And did the salesman tell you that if you sold your unit you would have to pay 10% of the original sales price to transfer the unit to the new buyer and 40% if you used a broker.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
And did the salesman tell you that if you sold your unit you would have to pay 10% of the original sales price to transfer the unit to the new buyer and 40% if you used a broker.

NO, but I did read it on Redweek review.