• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying advice [Princeville]

sjcousins11

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
hi there,

Wow am I glad I found this website via a TripAdvisor forum! I was a nervous wreck for the past 2 days trying to decide on purchasing Westin Princeville from the developer (Im here now). I love StarOptions. My trip to Princeville is the first time I've used SO since I bought my dumb SW TS in Beuna Vista (I was in my 20s...it's paid off now but I have no desire to go back there...). I also used points for my airfare...so I like points and options...

I have some questions about buying via a resale, though I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere. I'm in. Isra a/SPG...Im interested in purchasing TS at Westin Princeville. However when I called Vistana they said if I purchased third party, I couldn't use/gain any options or points. Is this true?! She seemed to be searching for answers so I didn't entirely believe her. Anyways, what is the deal with points and staroptions when purchasing from a third party? I'd like to make Kauai an annual trip. And I already have a renter who will take my weeks when I can't go.

The Vistana person said I'd need to use interval. I should also mention that I hate interval....I mean they're worthless IMO. My weeks always expired since I couldn't get where I wanted when I wanted. I really dislike them!!!

Also...I still don't understand mandatory vs voluntary...is there a link you can share to jump me there?

Thank you!!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Start here: http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/

If you are going to go to Princeville every year or rent your unit, you can consider buying resale at Princeville. You will not be affected by the whole voluntary/mandatory thing because you will be using what you buy and you will not have to deal with Interval. You just won't have the flexibility of doing StarOption exchanges, but as long as you are only using your unit for Princeville, it doesn't matter.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would definitely not buy from the developer, when you can buy a 2 bdm on the resale market for about $4,500.

Paying 10x as much to the developer to get Staroptions is not worth the difference in price, because you can buy other Vistana resorts on the resale market that have Staroptions for nearly free.

If you want to go to Princeville just about every year, then buy an every year resale deed. If you only want to go there half the time, then buy an every-other-year deed on the resale market.

If what you really want is the Staroptions, not necessarily Princeville, then you should buy resale at a Vistana resort with Staroptions - this is a "mandatory resort."

This will get you started: FAQ - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/

Last edited:

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will also add to this that the management fees for Hawaii timeshares are very high, so please consider that when buying anything. The main advantage in buying Hawaii TS (either Maui or Kauai) whether from developer or from resale, is that you can reserve your unit 12 months out which is before any of the Star Option users can get in.

Also if you bought a resale for Princevile it would be your "home" resort and you would get better units: the units facing the ocean are for home resort owners.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Clarification: All of the deeds at this resort were sold as "Island View." There are no guaranteed ocean views - unless you paid an additional 20% (?) to fix the unit. So as an owner, you have a better chance of getting a good view, but you could get any location at the resort.

trexmdr

Reaction score
Any there is no guarantee that you will be able to rent it out on the years you don't use it. That island doesn't have as much tourism as Maui. And that is why many people like it. But still I believe it is possible to rent out but not something you would not want to count on. Also the maintenance fees there are much higher than other Vistana resorts if I am not mistaken.
Just my 2 cents.
RT

trexmdr

Reaction score
Also check the marketplace adds on this site and you will see actual units on various places for sale. That will give you a real sense of what things are selling for and the maintenance fees are listed. Also aquaint yourself on the difference between mandatory and voulentary property means and which are which.
RT

sjcousins11

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
Great information! Thank you SO much! Follow-up Question. I've see several SW Orlando TS that are listed on this site very cheap (under 2k) and indicate staroptions (I assume that means they're one of the 5 sites but I understand I'd need to double check the contract). Why do some feel that other TS are better for SO? Also why wouldn't more people be buying these Orlando TS resale? I never would've thought of buying another TS in Orlando but if it's so cheap...I might just for the staroptions...What is it that I'm missing here?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Other locations, like WKV, have lower maintenance fees per year, also can rent out for a higher price, but the purchase price is higher. If you are looking to save up front, buy SVV(with higher MF), if you want to keep for a long time and possibly rent it out, buy WKV. SVV being in Orlando has a lower upfront cost because there are SO MANY timeshares in Orlando. WKV will have more value (in theory) when/if you decide to sell it. (Make sure you are looking at the mandatory sections of SVV, Key West and Bella I think.)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
sjcousins11 - You aren't missing anything - many people buy in the mandatory phases at Sheraton Vistana Villages for a less expensive entry to owning Staroptions.

Only these resorts/phases are mandatory (have Staroptions on resale) -

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

The two most popular resorts that people buy for Staroptions are

1) Vistana Villages: lower buy-in/higher maintenance fees

2) Westin Kierland: higher buy-in/lower maintenance fees

The other 3 resorts have have high maintenance fees and/or upfront cost, so they aren't cost effective to buy for Staroptions.

***Important - the deeds have seasons, and high seasons has MORE Staroptions than low season, but you pay the same maintenance fee regardless of the season. So for the best value, be sure you buy the highest season at the resort.

SVV has two seasons, and you want a deed that includes the weeks: 6-17 23-34 39-47 51-52. You may see this season called Platinum or something else, so the key thing is to see what WEEK is on the deed.

Last edited:

trexmdr

Reaction score
I think is is also to note that when you use staroptions to book another resort that your view is not guaranteed. I know that for some it does not matter but for me it does. When I am in Maui the ocean view is important for us. Though I imagine if you go in low season you might get an ocean view. With kids we can only go in high season.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At Princeville, there are no deeded views, so the view is never guaranteed. All deeds are "Island View."

At all 3 Maui resorts, you can now book Ocean Front with Staroptions, IF it is available, and IF you have enough Staroptions.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
At Princeville, there are no deeded views, so the view is never guaranteed. All deeds are "Island View."

If you plan to use your WPORV - and location is important - and can reserve 12 months in advance (tied directly to reserving at 12 months) - then, WPORV can be worth owning (resale).
Be careful with the perception that all villas are IV and therefore all the same - about 10% are prime locations (I have 100s of photos proving this point - many posted here).
WPORV is a great resort (during good weather months), but make sure all 3 conditions above apply.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dave - is correct: some villas have beautiful ocean front views from the cliffs of Princeville, and owners do have better luck being assigned to those than exchangers. However, Starwood in their great wisdom. decided to sell everything as "Island View."

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Vistana Villages: lower buy-in/higher maintenance fees

2) Westin Kierland: higher buy-in/lower maintenance fees

In looking at the maintenance fee data base, it doesn't seem like the WKV fees are lower than SVV?

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
The comment is based on the ratio of $ to StarOptions. At WKV, you get 148,100 SatrOptions, at SVV you get 81,000.
This is a big difference in SO, for the relatively small difference in MFs.

Markus

sjcousins11

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
I appreciate the clarification of MF $ / star options. Another question....I have SVV-Bella, deeded. I'd like to purchase a resale as mentioned above (Now deciding/researching the 3 sites mentioned in this thread). I've read on the forum that the deed from the resale purchase should match the deed to a current deeded SW TS (otherwise, you have two accounts, etc). How do I obtain the deed? Vistana website suggests contacting the county of record where one bought the TS (so, Orlando). Is there an easier way to do this - e.g. a trusted website that TUG folks would recommend to obtain the record? If I should move this Q to a different thread, please let me know... Thanks!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They are correct - you can get the deed online - it's a public record.

Clarification - it's the name(s) on the deeds that must match. So if you buy another deed, you want your name(s) on the new deed to be the same as the old deed.

Here is the most recent link to the county recorder's office that I have, but I haven't used it in a while so can't guarantee accuracy:

SVR & SVV - Orange County, FL http://or.occompt.com/recorder/web/login.jsp (Deed = D).

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
If you plan to use your WPORV - and location is important - and can reserve 12 months in advance (tied directly to reserving at 12 months) - then, WPORV can be worth owning (resale).
Be careful with the perception that all villas are IV and therefore all the same - about 10% are prime locations (I have 100s of photos proving this point - many posted here).
WPORV is a great resort (during good weather months), but make sure all 3 conditions above apply.

This is excellent advice -WPORV is a beautiful property and I wish it was mandatory but it is not. There are a number of units with exceptional views and it's position atop the bluff is stunning. We've been twice and will definitely return.

All that being said, I'm an owner who bought SVV Bella and uses my StarOptions to reserve 8 months out. I'll never get the premium room(nor should I) but I can't complain about the excellent room locations I've gotten. Kudos to TUGgers for giving me advice on room recommendations.

But I do love WPORV and look forward to a return.

Best,

Greg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I really like WPORV too, but the maintenance fee is just ridiculous. To me, that is the primary barrier to owning there - even resale. With the VSE fee, it's about $2,800 for a 2 bdm. OUCH!

sjcousins11

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
They are correct - you can get the deed online - it's a public record.

Clarification - it's the name(s) on the deeds that must match. So if you buy another deed, you want your name(s) on the new deed to be the same as the old deed.

Thank you, Denise! I was able to find what I needed! :)

Last edited:

sjcousins11

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
Has the sticky for most frequently mentioned TS resale sites been updated?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even though it was written some time ago, there aren't any new resale websites that are major players - a lot of the newer ones belong to upfront fee companies. You pay them an upfront fee to list your timeshare on their website, and they never sell it, because they just want the upfront fee.

IMNSHO, you will get the best deal on ebay, and TUG and Redweek are two of the safest websites to buy from.

sjcousins11

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
Thanks, Denise. That helps. I found some listings on Redweek but was hesitant to do the membership just to browse listings. I'm rethinking that now. Would you only recommended the "Redweek verified" ads? I wasn't sure what that difference was. Are there any others you would recommend?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No - the Redweek verified Ads means that the owner signed up for Redweek assistance to sell their timeshare and you have to go through a Redweek middle man to talk to the owner. (Usally rookie sellers do this.)

Many people have reported that the Redweek middle men are slow to respond and unhelpful. If you can find Ads that aren't Redweek Verified, you can communicate directly with the owner. It should also be cheaper, because it won't include additional Redweek fees.

Your main protection in buying resale is using a reputable timeshare title company to handle the transfer. They can walk you through it and spot any problems or issues. This is who I use:

L.T. Transfers
Lisa Short and Mary Pless
http://www.lttransfers.com/
readylegal@gmail.com

It is in your best interest to choose the title company and pay for the transfer (usually less than $200) so you have control of the process. Don't ever let the owner do the title work themselves, because you have no way of knowing if they know what they are doing.

If you buy from a resale company, they will do the title transfer in-house, or with an affiliated company, and usually are not flexible on what title company you use. But if you buy from an owner, they are usually happy to let you select the title company, if you pay for it.

I have bought from ebay, Redweek, and TUG and that's who I recommend.

Last edited: