• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a timeshare to rent?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron - very doable with some experience - not something I recommend to a newbie. With your real estate background, I suspect you got up to speed quickly.

Im not suggesting that the op do anything except to take the advice here, (mine included), with a grain of salt...And of course we dont know the depth of the ops experience his pocketbook

Chances are that he will fail, but of course thats probably the same thing that Ray Kroc heard when he approached the McDonald brothers about franchising their concept. And I bet J Willard Marriott heard the same thing when he opened his root beer stand in Washington DC

Last edited:

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I stick by my advice - as long as the OP starts small - one or two weeks - go for it as the downside will not be that great and it could be fun. and, he can always go himself. I am assuming that the OP is getting his week on ebay or somewhere else and it is not expensive. Please be aware that Craig's Listers usually rent at the very last minute although no one beats the renter who called us as he was heading down to Orlando in his car!! And yes, we did rent to him - he had to stop at a Kinkos and transfer us the money! Of course, that is the exception. However, life is short - why not try things. Funtime

horsecreek

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't buy.

I was watching eBay. I saw a timeshare that didn't sell but in my eyes is worth something; and started wondering what on earth would I do with it? why not buy it and rent it, hence the thread. I realize, for me, it's not worth it but if an even better deal comes along who knows. :whoopie:

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own many timeshares. Some were purchased in the early 1990's when I knew very little about timesharing. Then along came TUG and through the years I learned a lot.

I won't repeat many of the great comments made above but will just add a few other random tidbits that I think may not have been covered.

Many of the the repeat customers from the New York-New Jersey area who rented our February timeshare weeks in Ft. Lauderdale and Pompano Beach, Florida for years eventually retired to Florida and bought full year or half year condos. So they, and their children and grandchildren, have no need to rent timeshares anymore.

Many long-time owners are now seniors who no longer crave vacations. As retirees, everyday is a vacation. No need to escape job pressures to unwind. Even if their health is good (a big IF as the years go by) and they have not lost their spouse/aka favorite traveling companion, they've "been there, done that" re: exchanges. So they just give away their timeshares to family members, friends, the resort, or strangers for free.

Resorts are aging too, and climate seems to be more extreme. So maintenance fees keep rising and large Special Assessments are sometimes needed to keep the resort afloat. Look at the recent TUG thread about the Diamond Resort Hawaii timeshare property that is billing the owners a $5,000. assessment

Due to the serious economic situation, I see lots of people cutting back on optional leisure expenses even when they are in good financial shape.

Airline travel has become more difficult--long lines, increasing fares, delayed or canceled flights, shoe removal, no room in the overhead bins, etc...

Young people coming out of high school and college are not finding jobs easily, especially ones that pay a decent salary. So they too are holding tight to their wallets and not splurging on non-necessities such as vacations, nor are their parents treating them to vacations. Some analysts fear that the younger generation may be developing a "Depression era" mentality that will make them extremely frugal for years to come.

Oh, and then what happens if we have a major terror attack.

Things are changing, and unfortunately not for the better.

And leave it to greedy RCI and it's many subsideraries to undercut your efforts to even cover your maintenance fees. They "steal" deposited weeks and rent them to the general public at prices below what the owner pays in maintenance fees.

That said, we do own several weeks that we enjoy using every year. They would (and have) rented easily at a good, not great, profit when we chose not to go. But a huge hurrican could put them out of commission for years as happened with the Wyndham Santa Barbara resort in Pompano Beach a few years back, and to a few buildings at the Wyndham Sea Gardens Resort.

I wish we did not own some of our weeks. Many were wonderful for years. But things change.

Overall, I think the risk/reward ratio for renting at a profit is not favorable in these times--and maybe never.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thought--do you have a relative or business partner, or close friend who would be willing and able to handle your timeshare "businee" if you became incapacitated or died?

We had a very tragic situation a few years ago when a much loved TUG member died suddenly of a massive stroke. He was in his 40;s I beleive, a very intelligent man who had worked on Wall Street for many years. He was estranged from his wife and had begun living alone in a new home in an isolated area.

He owned 99 timeshares and was actively renting them, selling some, and brokering deals for others who were buying and selling. His ex-wife and brother tried to handle the situation but were reportedly overwhelmed with the amount of work needed and the lack of necessary records. Monies related to pending feals were held in an escrow account and reportedly the money "disappeared" after his demise.

Many TUG members have what we jokingly refer to as a TUG spouse--one who knows all about timeshares and does all the buying, selling, renting, exchanging etc... and one who knows nothing except how to pack their bags for the next great vacation. Make sure if you decide to get into a mini rental business that you have a knowledgeable partner to serve as a back-up "just in case".

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Always look at the bright side of life :ignore:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jennie

I think our original poster is well aware of all that stuff you mention, these are the reasons he posted in the first place...ie given the times we find ourselves in, and the value we see given to timeshares, Is there a way to profit from it?

Clearly you are a "glass half full", kind of gal. If I thought like you did, I wouldnt cross the street...there may be a bus coming to run me over.

The best business advice I ever heard is:

"Buy when everyone else is selling and sell when everyone else is buying"

I would add that if you can make it in these times, Imagine your success when (if) things turn around

Im going to give it a try, and I look forward to having the op as a competitor