• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Business class availability

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
You mean award tickets?

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just be aware that if the transatlantic portion involved BA, there is a fuel surcharge of around $800, that you have to pay on top of the miles. That's why you'd typically see a lot of availability on flights that include BA, and very limited availability on purely AA flights as the latter go fast.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
AA business class to Europe has been readily available for a while. I had no problems getting a seat with just a few months notice earlier this year, which many years ago was problematic. Of course, they added capacity with the acquisition of US Air (which I was just on last week...).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
About the BA surcharge, depending on how you like to travel, it may be worth it as BA has a better product. YMMV.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
AA

I posted about award travel. I assume the key deterimenate is where you have your miles. AA award chart I believe is also more favorable.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
We were going to return from the UK by AA award, but besides 115,000 miles for two they wanted $935 as well!

Per seat: About $250 was an American "just because we caan" fee, but UK has a departure tax called APD that is £70 for standard class but double that for business and higher. The rest is the usual immigration and customs fees.

So next week we'll be squeezing ourselves into economy for ten hours to DFW, and then to SAN, but for 60,000 miles and $350.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We were going to return from the UK by AA award, but besides 115,000 miles for two they wanted $935 as well!

Per seat: About $250 was an American "just because we caan" fee, but UK has a departure tax called APD that is £70 for standard class but double that for business and higher. The rest is the usual immigration and customs fees.

So next week we'll be squeezing ourselves into economy for ten hours to DFW, and then to SAN, but for 60,000 miles and $350.

Huh? I had an AA business class seat from London to LAX just a few months ago and it only cost me $320 in fees. Did you book close to departure? I think they charge extra then.

I'm looking for another for next year and really want to use up my Delta miles, but Delta charges in £ for one way flights and they want ~£340 for it...which is just absurd and makes AA a relative bargain by comparison (not to mention that it's 80,000 Delta SkyPesoes and only 45,000 AA miles with the 5,000 Citibank AA discount).

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just scored 4 F seats round trip in BA 747 (AA saver awards). The fuel surcharge was high (~$1,000) but well worth it in my opinion. Have to use those miles and start the vaca at the airport counter. The trips also include business tixs for 4 to Paris.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've flown both AA and BA in F and J multiple times and it is well worth the extra $ to fly BA as their product is vastly superior to AAs, IMO.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
AA

It depends. AA is now converting its 1st and business class cabins to a better product. It depends on what is offered on the flight you select.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
My comments were based on product/service on AA's 767 and 777 aircraft. Keep hearing that AA is improving its product/service. Flew intl. a few months ago and no significant difference, IMO. And AA's domestic F is vastly inferior to DL's. Just flew AA last week MSY-MIA-STT and return. One one of the segments, flight attendants spent most of the time in the front galley talking.

It depends. AA is now converting its 1st and business class cabins to a better product. It depends on what is offered on the flight you select.

Last edited:

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aa

According to a post in View from the Wing (today), Gary Leff said:

"American expects to complete reconfiguration of its Boeing 777-200s by summer 2017 to be fully lie flat with direct aisle access." Check out his full post for pictures and further discussion.

AA flies other 777's besides the 200's. I would be very diligent in making sure you get the right product.

As a side note, i find most foreign carriers do have better service than those based in the USA.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Prices vs Miles

Yesterday, I priced American and British Airways with 2 stops from Charleston to Heathrow for 3 people late June 2017 at $2,354 per person round trip in "Premium Economy" and a 17 hour trip. Don't have enough reward miles to use with American. Ended up using Delta miles for Charleston to Heathrow with one stop, first and business class for 3 people, at a total of 555,000 miles and $788.58 in taxes and fees. Sheesh! When did it become this expensive to fly to London?

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Yesterday, I priced American and British Airways with 2 stops from Charleston to Heathrow for 3 people late June 2017 at $2,354 per person round trip in "Premium Economy" and a 17 hour trip. Don't have enough reward miles to use with American. Ended up using Delta miles for Charleston to Heathrow with one stop, first and business class for 3 people, at a total of 555,000 miles and $788.58 in taxes and fees. Sheesh! When did it become this expensive to fly to London?

555,000 miles for 3 people? Wow, that is a lot! I stopped flying Delta a long time ago.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A lot.

555,000 miles for 3 people? Wow, that is a lot! I stopped flying Delta a long time ago.

It's been a long time since I've used miles for international travel but 1850 miles per person for Delta/Virgin Atlantic first and business class going over and Delta first and business class coming back seems like a whole lot. So does $2,354 per person round trip for "premium economy." If it was just me going, I'd wait and search for a better price. But I need the three together so bit the bullet.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually found Delta miles to be a good deal on a recent reservation. I was looking for 1-way first class ticket from Rome to Las Vegas next May and it cost only 80K miles on Delta while United was charging 150K miles for the same route. I did not check AA. Both United and Delta were charging around USD4.5K-5K per ticket.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Just returned from a trip to London in First Class on a AA 777-300ER with FF miles award. One of the best trips in a while, very good service, pretty good food, excellent wine and the best seat I've flown.

Well worth the 125000 miles;)

Cheers

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Italy

I actually found Delta miles to be a good deal on a recent reservation. I was looking for 1-way first class ticket from Rome to Las Vegas next May and it cost only 80K miles on Delta while United was charging 150K miles for the same route. I did not check AA. Both United and Delta were charging around USD4.5K-5K per ticket.

I can pay to fly to Milan round trip for less than the taxes and fees these Delta miles cost! Italy seems to be a less expensive place to fly in and out of.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I can pay to fly to Milan round trip for less than the taxes and fees on these Delta miles cost! Italy seems to be a less expensive place to fly in and out of.

Yes but that wouldn't be a First Class flight.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Just got award tix on AA for next July. CHS-MUC in coach & BUD-SAV in business. 87,500 + $182 fees/taxes. All on AA except BUD-LHR on BA. If I did the transatlantics on BA, it would have been over $1000! I'll take the extra stop and save the money.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
$1k more per person?

Just got award tix on AA for next July. CHS-MUC in coach & BUD-SAV in business. 87,500 + $182 fees/taxes. All on AA except BUD-LHR on BA. If I did the transatlantics on BA, it would have been over $1000! I'll take the extra stop and save the money.