*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

BRIGHT star/planet in Northern sky tonight (East Coast)

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by pjrose, Apr 19, 2012.

1. pjrose

pjrose Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

As I was driving NorthWest around 10:30pm tonight I saw a VERY bright star, planet, plane, or UFO maybe about 45 degrees up from the horizon. It seemed to be two bright objects, one behind but seemingly slightly below the other, because it was elongated vertically. When it didn't move, it clearly wasn't a plane. I figured maybe Venus and another planet or star that appeared to be behind it.....

But when I Googled, I came up with Bright Vega. Anyone familiar with this? I'm not.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance
    and go down to April 19, though that site says Northeast and that was more Northwest.....

Any other ideas?

2. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    Jupiter and Venus have been putting on a bright show this last month. This Saturday night and early Sunday morning the Lynid meteor shower should be a good show. I have been seeing a few early shooting stars tonight.

3. ScoopLV

ScoopLV Guest

Venus and Jupiter are very close in the sky right now. And Venus is particularly bright right now. I bet that's what you saw.

4. robcrusoe

robcrusoe Guest

were you in a convertible? 45° is way up there, half way between the horizon and your Zenith I think VEGA was at about 11° altitude to the Northeast in central PA at 10:30pm

5. pjrose

pjrose Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

45° was a guess....maybe more like 30. Whatever it was, was (appeared) lower a half hour later.

I figured Venus and Jupiter....but they were clearly apart the last few times I looked. This was one light or two that appeared very close together.

I dunno.....I'll look again tonight.

6. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott (SR), SDO, Quarter House, Donatello, Seapointe, Coronado Beach
  7. Makai Guy

Makai Guy Administrator

Resorts Owned:
    Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
  8. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned: