• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Breaking RCI purchase done in Las Vegas

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
They say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas... Well, my wife and I had no intention of doing a time share. My dad and family has had a great experience with a Marriott / Interval International timeshare in florida. But, my wife and I were just going to learn about it (and get free show tickets).

Someone we bought. We were dead set against it before. But I'm not sure if we were hung over or what.

Tonight, I just read of the five day recinding timeperiod. Not good as it is eight days later.

Can anyone make any recommendations? We are not in any financial state to do this right now. Heck we are just trying to avoid bankrupcy and hope to soon have enough to buy health insurance. We're really on the edge and this is not the right time to have a timeshare.

Is there anyway out? Any advice would greatly help.

Is there anyway out? Probably not, except you mentioned being on the edge of being Bankrupt, this may push you over the edge?

You haven't really given any of us enough info to provide any constructive advise. What did you buy? you didn't buy anything from RCI, your beef isn't with them! you bought from whatever resort you were at.
a timeshare "Mistake" can range from a $1000 Vacation Club Package to a $100,000 4 bedroom penthouse suite! so if you want better advise on your best options. you need to provide some actual specifics.
Your in the right place to get the best answers! you've obviously made a couple of Financial mistakes here, Be advised... there are more mistakes you can make if your not carefull ! it's not unheard of for folks in your situation calling the sales dept back to try and undo the deal, and end up getting "Upsold". and for every slick timeshare salesman trying to grab your money to get you INTO a timeshare, there are 2 equaly slick time share scammers trying to grab your money to get you OUT of that timeshare. neither are your friend! RT

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious about the abbreviations. BK is obviously bankruptcy, but OP? Object of Pity?

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious about the abbreviations. BK is obviously bankruptcy, but OP? Object of Pity?

Well, some do pity the Original Poster - but I am not one of them.

Part of the reason we post is to create this thread as a lasting warning to those who may actually do their due diligence and investigate a "sales presentation" at a timeshare prior to making a purchase from the developer.

I'm afraid buying at the "sales presentation" at a timeshare or otherwise making a purchase from the developer is very much like shooting yourself in the foot, in that while you can mitigate the damage if you get to the hospital real quick (rescission) - you can't just wrap it in a towel for a few weeks and expect a good result.

Just sayin' ...

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another $0.02 worth...

doesn't RCI own Wynham ?

Vice versa, actually. Wyndham owns RCI.

I certainly agree with ampaholic's observations directly above. To buy "developer direct" without even bothering to read (preferably before signing) about the contract rescission rights clearly provided in writing right at the time of purchase is an overt and willful act of pure negligence for which I cannot manage to generate any sympathy whatsoever. YMMV. :shrug:

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vice versa, actually. Wyndham owns RCI.

I certainly agree with ampaholic's observations directly above. To buy "developer direct" without even bothering to read (preferably before signing) about the contract rescission rights clearly provided in writing right at the time of purchase is an overt and willful act of pure negligence for which I cannot manage to generate any sympathy whatsoever. YMMV. :shrug:
I disagree. In my opinion it's an act of ignorance of the facts. It's also an act of innocence. Most people are not knowledgable about the TS market and assume that the sales person is telling them the truth when describing it as a real estate transaction. That seems like a fundamental thing that they should be able to have right.

The wolf sits in wait for the lamb - even setting bait before him. When the lamb takes the bait and gets eaten, is that willful negligence on the part of the lamb?

Last edited:

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, some do pity the Original Poster - but I am not one of them.

Part of the reason we post is to create this thread as a lasting warning to those who may actually do their due diligence and investigate a "sales presentation" at a timeshare prior to making a purchase from the developer.

I'm afraid buying at the "sales presentation" at a timeshare or otherwise making a purchase from the developer is very much like shooting yourself in the foot, in that while you can mitigate the damage if you get to the hospital real quick (rescission) - you can't just wrap it in a towel for a few weeks and expect a good result.

Just sayin' ...

But people aren't always able to do that because "this deal is so good that we're only offering it today" and "that's just standard 'mumble jumble' that you don't need to bother yourself with". Now most of us know none of that's true but as I've said before these sales people are good at what they do.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bigger picture...

I disagree. In my opinion it's an act of ignorance of the facts. It's also an act of innocence. Most people are not knowledgable about the TS market and assume that the sales person is telling them the truth when describing it as a real estate transaction. That seems like a fundamental thing that they should be able to have right.

The wolf sits in wait for the lamb - even setting bait before him. When the lamb takes the bait and gets eaten, is that willful negligence on the part of the lamb?

I completely agree that the innocent, unsuspecting and inexperienced "lamb" does not know (nor likely anticipate) the predatory tactics or perils awaiting inside the timeshare developer sales room.
The "prey-to-be" cannot be "blamed" in any way for pre-presentation inexperience or ignorance.

That much said, let's be very clear about the entire process here. The law overtly requires that contract cancellation rights which are provided by state law, including identification of the exact procedures to follow to exercise those cancellation rights, be provided and spelled out in writing and in detail and right along with all of the very same sales documents which the "buyer" signs to execute the sales contract.

So, after the "prey" has signed the contract and has departed the sales venue entirely, how can it possibly be anything but overt negligence to then not even bother to read (...for days and days thereafter...) the actual content of a contract which likely just cost that buyer tens of thousands of dollars? :shrug: :confused: :shrug:

I guess we'll just have to respectfully "agree to disagree" on this particular point. In my opinion, anyone making any kind of purchase costing tens of thousands of dollars should at least read the purchase contract material provided to them --- if not right then and there at the time of purchase then certainly sometime very promptly thereafter (with no sales weasels hovering around or even anywhere nearby). :shrug:

Last edited:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

I suppose in a very liberal sense you could lay this ignorance and innocence at the feet of the school system that obviously failed these "poor victims".

I could also suppose that assuming that a sales weasel ahem sales person is telling the unguilded truth is a human right as well - I just don't.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even the Chief Justice Doesn't Read Contracts . . .

http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...dmits_he_doesnt_read_the_computer_fine_print/

. . . so if we Can't even get the head of the Supreme Court to read contracts, what hope do we have for the average person, especially a non-lawyer?

As a lawyer myself, I don't usually read contracts, I usually skim certain key sections before signing, and in some cases don't even do that. I DID read my contract when I recently bought a starwood unit, but that was AFTER I had signed everything (but while I was still on vacation).

So let's not beat anyone up too much for not reading the contract.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Comparing apples to oranges --- and not the real point at all...

...let's not beat anyone up too much for not reading the contract.

I respectfully submit that Chief Justice Roberts' admitted failure to bother to read the terms and conditions associated with free access to an Internet web site is not in any way comparable to choosing to ignore the provided contract content, details and cancellation instructions of a multi-thousand dollar purchase. :confused:

Anyway, speaking only for myself, the real objective of these types of discussions and posts is to maybe help others avoid falling unawares into the exact same sinkholes in the future, by providing some facts and information and advice to perhaps consider and absorb in advance. After all, forewarned is forearmed...

I'm certainly not seeking to just "beat up" someone for whom assistance is now already too late anyhow.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
More like Old Poop.

How many of us have never been hoodwinked or bamboozled by a smooth-talking snake-oil salesman. Let he who is w/o a credit card cast the first stone.
-----------------------------
There are great many people on this planet who wear rose-colored glasses, and naive enuff to take folks at face-value, thinking that, becuz they seem sincere, it must be true. Its their own good-natured belief in their fellow human beings that does them in.

My own DW, an accountant who you'd think a bit skeptical, is easily beguiled, and its up to me, impulsive by nature, to play the role of the cynic and say, "Wait a minute. This sounds fishy. Let's research whether any of it is true."

Last edited:

kaio

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm also curious to know which RCI property the OP bought into... could it be Grandview @ Las Vegas?? hmm...

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think saying to the OP anything other than "sorry dude, you are stuck with it" is pretty much a disservice to the OP, because very likely they are stuck with it.

I happen to think the OP is long gone.

That said - we do have a bit of an obligation to say to others reading this thread in the future - don't eat that fruit, it's poison. :(

After all there is a "permanent record" and it's the internet. :hysterical:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
More like Old Poop.

How many of us have never been hoodwinked or bamboozled by a smooth-talking snake-oil salesman. Let he who is w/o a credit card cast the first stone. Its simply uncouth and rude to pass judgment on the conduct of wayward souls who wander in here, looking for nothing more than sage advice.
-----------------------------
There are great many people on this planet who wear rose-colored glasses, and naive enuff to take folks at face-value, thinking that, becuz they seem sincere, it must be true. Its their own good-natured belief in their fellow human beings that does them in.

My own DW, an accountant who you'd think a bit skeptical, is easily beguiled, and its up to me, impulsive by nature, to play the role of the cynic and say, "Wait a minute. This sounds fishy. Let's research whether any of it is true."

My own DW is a gentile soul and is easily bamboozled - I think that the more basically honest and trusting a person the easier they fall for BS - Me I'm a Real Estate Broker: need I say more?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I didn't question why he bought the timeshare - been there - done that! :D

I asked why he was partying in Las Vegas if he is on the verge of bankruptcy and can't afford health care?

BTW - The OP has not been back to TUG since posting.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I didn't question why he bought the timeshare - been there - done that! :D

I asked why he was partying in Las Vegas if he is on the verge of bankruptcy and can't afford health care?

BTW - The OP has not been back to TUG since posting.

It may show he hasnt logged in but it is possible that he has read his thread without logging in, correct? Maybe he was scared away of posting again.....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No - he hasn't been back at all...

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
No - he hasn't been back at all...

We may be dealing with an internet troll.
Perhaps it is us who were snowed by a story believable enuff to reel us in.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
We may be dealing with an internet troll.
Perhaps it is us who were snowed by a story believable enuff to reel us in.

Maybe it is a Timeshare salesperson who posted this as a joke trying to get back at all those TUG people that cost him/her money.....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you notice his user name? - Phil Pisch (Phil Fish)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't think you have seen that. I don't know of any way to rescind outside the legal rescission period, and that's why no one has suggested it.

This is the deal - if you come to TUG and list your financial problems, you better expect to get feedback. If no one violates the TUG posting rules - and no one did - that's perfectly OK.

Maybe a reality check will help the OP look at the big picture - and that would be a good thing. I don't see how giving him a free pass will help him at all. YMMV

The rescind period is something required of the timeshare companies. They can of course do whatever they want... I agree with the earlier post and that is Tell the resort that you cant and wont pay ...they will take it back..I know it happens and Ive seen it happen

By the way...a vacation in Las Vegas is very possible and not inconsistant with a bankruptcy. I can see where a once a year vacation is very much within a responsible budget. But a bankruptcy inevitable because of some unexpected job loss, medical expense or foreclosure etc. Lots of companies stay in business throughout a reorganization, there no reason a family cant do the same thing

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ron - He said he is on the verge of bankruptcy - not in bankruptcy, and he doesn't have enough money for health insurance. So he takes what money he has and goes to Vegas - from Minn? I'm sorry - I can't imagine how that was prudent.... Maybe it was the last hurrah on the credit card before he files. Who knows... YMMV