• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bowling alley chips ball--what is reasonable recourse?

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were bowling recently and the ball came back chipped. The ball is at least 10 years old, but we only actually were in a league for 3 years, so it was not heavily used for the entire life span.

The alley is offering us a used alley ball as a replacement and we think that is not sufficient, our ball was in excellent condition and those balls are dinged from daily use.

We are trying to negotiate something better from the manager, but are not sure what is reasonable. We have thought about negotiating a discount toward the purchase of a new ball, but how do we know what is reasonable? Should we ask to purchase one at cost?

Or is there something else we haven't thought about?

Any ideas appreciated!!!:)

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a 10 year old ball. I'm amazed they're offering you anything! What's the life-span of a ball? How many years is the original Manufacturer's guarantee? How much was the ball in the first place? What signs does the bowling alley prominently post about not being responsible for damages.

What would YOUR responsibility be if your ball chipped their lane?

I'd ask for a few free passes and then buy another ball.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they offered anything. Its not that unusual for a ball to get chipped. The ball is getting thrown down an alley, hitting pins and then being sent back up the ball return then hitting any balls also in the rack.
Like s**t, chips happen. :)

Texasbelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually the bowling alley will repair our balls if damaged. They polish out scratches, but the scratches must look "new". Not sure how a chip would be filled in, but I have seen balls that had the old holes filled and new holes drilled. A discount on a ball sounds reasonable, a win-win with them getting a sale. Not sure of the mark-up in bowling balls. If this is league play, you might get some help from the officers.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Growing up a bowler and working the bowling industry for many years, I can say you are indeed lucky to be offered anything. Most centers so "not responsible for damage to bowling balls" or something similar. A used "alley ball" however is no bargain (many are left/abandoned).

jwq387

TUG Member
Reaction score
bolwing ball chipped

We were bowling recently and the ball came back chipped. The ball is at least 10 years old, but we only actually were in a league for 3 years, so it was not heavily used for the entire life span.

The alley is offering us a used alley ball as a replacement and we think that is not sufficient, our ball was in excellent condition and those balls are dinged from daily use.

We are trying to negotiate something better from the manager, but are not sure what is reasonable. We have thought about negotiating a discount toward the purchase of a new ball, but how do we know what is reasonable? Should we ask to purchase one at cost?

Or is there something else we haven't thought about?

Any ideas appreciated!!!:)

Having bowled for 46 of my 51 years of my life.... The chipped ball should be repaired at the bowling center's cost. That's what my center has done. If the chip is NOT in your track(the area where the bowling ball contacts the lane) then the repair will be fine. If it IS in the track area, then your bowling ball's effectiveness will be determined by the quality of the repair. No reputable establishment will use the " bowling alley not responsible for damage to bowling ball" tact. Their machines damaged the ball, its on their dime.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having bowled for 46 of my 51 years of my life.... The chipped ball should be repaired at the bowling center's cost. That's what my center has done. If the chip is NOT in your track(the area where the bowling ball contacts the lane) then the repair will be fine. If it IS in the track area, then your bowling ball's effectiveness will be determined by the quality of the repair. No reputable establishment will use the " bowling alley not responsible for damage to bowling ball" tact. Their machines damaged the ball, its on their dime.

But how does one know if it was the machines, or if the ball was dropped? Doesn't years of use eventually lead to normal cracking or chipping? I honestly don't know; just curious!

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was a junior bowler (looong time ago...) my hard rubber ball came back to the ball return with a crack all the way around the ball. The bowling alley replaced with a new plastic ball. I am not sure if it was because I was a poor child (who had been given the used ball by the bowling alley pro shop in the first place,) or if, as they said, they wanted to figure out how I cracked a ball all the way around. Either way I got a new ball.

When my husband's ball came back with a large chip in it, at our local bowling alley, they told him they weren't responsible and it was obviously his fault for a having a ball that was too big for the return. It didn't seem to matter to them that he had bowled in that same bowling alley with the same ball for years. Bascially it was just a very poorly run alley.

jwq387

TUG Member
Reaction score
But how does one know if it was the machines, or if the ball was dropped? Doesn't years of use eventually lead to normal cracking or chipping? I honestly don't know; just curious!
Bowling balls get small "nicks" on their surface, that line up with the track on a bowling ball. The track is the part of the ball that contacts the surface of the lane, and is unique to every bowlers. Bowling balls generally do not "crack". A chip in a bowling ball is not a naturally occurring event. Dropping a bowling ball will not create a chip. If you are observing the surface of your bowling ball after you get it back from the ball return, a chip will be obvious. Mosts "chips" in my 46 years of experience, are from mechanical parts of the ball return mechanism, and any reputable bowling establishment will take financial responsibility for the damage.