• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought the VIP, now they are calling trying to sell me HELP!!!

Reaction score
I bought the VIP last year at the Elara, planning on going back in March to use the week. They are calling me trying to sell me, before I go, 5000 points for ~$15,000. I own two weeks in Vistana, and bought from the developer. Buying resale severely limits your ability to go to other resorts in the system. We love Las Vegas, and Vistana doesn't have anything in the town. Is this a good deal, what do I lose from the Hilton system by not purchasing directly from the developer? Please help me with this decision....

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the HGVC system, buying resale means your purchase doesn't qualify you for elite status. And you won't get invited to future 'owner updates' where for 90 minutes they try to sell you more weeks/points in exchange for a prize. That's it... buying resale doesn't affect how you get to use your week...either as a 'home week' or as a club points reservation.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
ljmiii is correct, the only thing you lose buying resale is Elite status. Those benefits are pretty minimal, and most people don't find them worth the cost of buying direct.. 5000 points for 15K is not bad as developer purchases go, i have heard and seen of people paying more... But you can easily find a resale puchase for 1/3 of that, maybe 5K or so..

Reaction score
I just got the email notification. Turns out the offer is $15K for 5000 points every other year. So, equivalent of $30K for every year.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Agree, try resale for that. The "Elite" status isn't worth it. Having said that, I just bought NYC Hilton Club from developer but that is a bit of a different animal.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I just got the email notification. Turns out the offer is $15K for 5000 points every other year. So, equivalent of $30K for every year.

Highway robbery. That they can hornswaggle peep into paying those prices is a shame.
Resale can be had for LT $1.00/point, or large platinum pkgs for a little bit more.
You only lose having the points count for elite status... and not worth paying retail for.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought the VIP last year at the Elara, planning on going back in March to use the week. They are calling me trying to sell me, before I go, 5000 points for ~$15,000. I own two weeks in Vistana, and bought from the developer. Buying resale severely limits your ability to go to other resorts in the system. We love Las Vegas, and Vistana doesn't have anything in the town. Is this a good deal, what do I lose from the Hilton system by not purchasing directly from the developer? Please help me with this decision....
HGVC resale works almost the same as SVN mandatory resale. It actually maintains some perks that don't stay with SVN resale like conversion to HH pesos.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
We bought the VIP package at our first presentation but then bought two weeks resale before we took our VIP trip. When we showed up for the follow-up presentation that's required of the VIP package, it was a very, very short meeting.

CiCi

Reaction score
In the HGVC system, buying resale means your purchase doesn't qualify you for elite status. And you won't get invited to future 'owner updates' where for 90 minutes they try to sell you more weeks/points in exchange for a prize. That's it... buying resale doesn't affect how you get to use your week...either as a 'home week' or as a club points reservation.

Although we bought resale, when we last used our TS, we were invited to the "owner update" and walked away with a very nice sized gift card after attending.

Our first introduction to HGVC was through a pitch and VIP purchase at the Elara, which we used at the Hilton Club NYC during the holidays....great location and well worth the money we paid for the five night stay. We found TUG the day before our sales pitch and ended up buying resale from a listing on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
About those phone calls... Ever hear of caller-ID or call-blocking?
We used those to avoid Hilton calls for years, and they don't bother anymore.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
About those phone calls... Ever hear of caller-ID or call-blocking?
We used those to avoid Hilton calls for years, and they don't bother anymore.

If I don't recognize a number, I don't answer. Period. If it isn't important enough to leave a message, it isn't important.

EnjoyingHGV

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Kingsland
ljmiii is correct, the only thing you lose buying resale is Elite status. Those benefits are pretty minimal, and most people don't find them worth the cost of buying direct.. 5000 points for 15K is not bad as developer purchases go, i have heard and seen of people paying more... But you can easily find a resale puchase for 1/3 of that, maybe 5K or so..

I agree.. Elite is not even worth the benefits at all

One thing the sales rep always say/threaten..is that they could at any time make resalers only have the option to use their home week, and not the "club points" reservation side... empty threats I hope! :)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
One thing the sales rep always say/threaten..is that they could at any time make [resellers] only have the option to use their home week, and not the "club points" reservation side... empty threats I hope!

This has been discussed many times. They can, but they can't... Not without facing a class-action from resale-owners over loss of their privileges, and from any owner over the impact to their ability to sell to 3rd parties.

I doubt that HGVC is interested in opening that can of worms.
The reality is that they could only apply it to brand-new buyers, from them.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed many times. They can, but they can't... Not without facing a class-action from resale-owners over loss of their privileges, and from any owner over the impact to their ability to sell to 3rd parties.

This makes sense to me, and I hope they never remove the benefit to reserve at other properties.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town

Not to mention the probably hundreds of owners that have bought from the developer AND resale. What would they do with that significant group of owners.
Also, as far as the "Elite Status" benefit, I don't even know what "Elite" status is and I bought from the developer (HGVC/HC).

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing the sales rep always say/threaten..is that they could at any time make resalers only have the option to use their home week, and not the "club points" reservation side... empty threats I hope! :)

It is their club and they can do whatever the heck they want to do. Raise fees, charge for borrowing, charge for housekeeping, eliminate open season, change the club reservation window, etc..

They can do all the above not just to resale owners, but to developer purchasers as well (heck for some of the above they have).

The reality is, anything you pay for a timeshare is probably a sunk cost. Pay as close to nothing as possible and as soon as the costs outweigh the benefits dump it (a Planned Exit strategy). Any other philosophy (e.g. keep it and wait for prices to go up, pass it on to heirs, sell it for a profit, rent the week for a profit, try to sell it for what you paid and hold out until it does etc..) is generally a bad idea. The only exception to the above would be DVC which has a cult like following.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
It is their club and they can do whatever the heck they want to do. Raise fees, charge for borrowing, charge for housekeeping, eliminate open season, change the club reservation window, etc..

They can do all the above not just to resale owners, but to developer purchasers as well (heck for some of the above they have).

The reality is, anything you pay for a timeshare is probably a sunk cost. Pay as close to nothing as possible and as soon as the costs outweigh the benefits dump it (a Planned Exit strategy). Any other philosophy (e.g. keep it and wait for prices to go up, pass it on to heirs, sell it for a profit, rent the week for a profit, try to sell it for what you paid and hold out until it does etc..) is generally a bad idea. The only exception to the above would be DVC which has a cult like following.

Sorry DVC is what? Don't recognize the abbreviation.