• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Boston custom house fall colors first timer

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Just got confirmed into custom house for October 14th for a week. Never been; also hoping to see some fall color. Can you recommend some things to do and go so we can see the colors. Also do we need a car? We could add a day or to if needed. Just wife and I.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
You don't need a car for Boston proper. We always seem to be coming from somewhere else by train, so we've never flown into Boston. But we were there last week (first time at a hotel instead of the Custom House and we missed it!) and were reminded that they have a dedicated $5 bus that takes you to the airport which we've made use of at least twice. Presumably if they are dropping folks at the airport every 20 minutes, they are also picking people up. Last Saturday we simply walked around the block to the convention center to catch the airport bus, and memory says we caught the bus near/at the Amtrack station on the Custom House side of town once also.

Couldn't begin to tell you the name of the tour company, but eight years or so ago we took a fall color bus trip that took us up into New Hampshire. That way you can enjoy the color while someone else is driving.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Just got confirmed into custom house for October 14th for a week. Never been; also hoping to see some fall color. Can you recommend some things to do and go so we can see the colors. Also do we need a car? We could add a day or to if needed. Just wife and I.

Hello Chris,

Privately sent you some of my Boston info regarding things to do and see, restaurants, and random thoughts, etc. from our two OCTOBER trips in 2012 & 2013.

We stayed at Marriott's Long Wharf Hotel and Custom House, respectively. Had so much fun the first time, we had to repeat!

Boston is our favorite US city to visit, and imho, October is the
best time by far.

Fall colors are glorious, perfect temps for walking the city, history extraordinaire, great food, and an little extra perk: electricity in the air due to hometown baseball & football seasons in full swing.

You will have a blast.

Lots of helpful Bostonians & New Englanders here on TUG, and I'm sure they'll pitch in. Lots to be proud of.

And Custom House is not only an extraordinary place to stay, it's unique. I'm envious. As this thread progresses, it just might cause us to go back this Fall, too.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will want to rent a car for the days you travel to see foliage. Otherwise, you don't need a car. Peak color in the area is not a science and you'll have to see where is best at the time. My suggestion is to rent cars by the day. Parking is expensive and difficult in Boston. My favorite place close to Boston to view the colors are Lexington and Concord.

Steve NH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - as far as color timing .
Once you get there check a 'fall foliage' map (Will be on TV weather stations on a regular basis)

You will definitely see color then in New England , just a matter of where. Which is why a car may be necessary.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that should be an excellent time to see the foliage. I agree that a one day rental to see the foliage is a good idea. There are also fall foliage tours that originate in Boston, but renting a car is much less expensive, particularly if there are 2 or more of you.

The dates for peak colors change each year because mother nature is unpredictable. Concord and Lexington are good for staying close to the city. Or you could drive up I-93 into New Hampshire or I 95 to stay closer to the coast and head up towards Maine. Either way would be a great day trip. Check the fall foliage maps at this link when the time us upon you:
http://www.yankeefoliage.com/new-england-foliage-maps/

They also have suggested routes for driving.

Have fun. I love my adopted city. There is so much to see and do.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Consider all of the places that will have foliage viewing opportunities before you rent a car. Boston is a confusing place to drive. The city doesn't make sense in some ways and it is far easier to use the T. I suggest walking around Boston Common, Cambridge/Harvard, and the Back Bay on day one or two and then see if you've seen enough leaves. Once you get there you will be stunned at how good the Custom House location is.

I need to go to Boston again.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best foliage viewing will be outside the City of Boston. You will definitely need a car.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
During our two October trips in 2012 and 2013, we saw gorgeous foliage both in Boston and outside of Boston, altho the best was outside. The first trip we visited Lexington and Concord (thank you SO MUCH for that Beaglemom, you're the greatest). The color was amazing in both of those beautiful historic towns, and equally breathtaking along the countryside as we drove.

And thanks to another (former) Tugger, good friend, and Boston native Gloria Foley (active 1998-2005) we drove up the coast to Ogunquit, Maine---a small fishing village which is very popular with tourists---great shops and restaurants, plus the walking paths called Marginal Way, which winds around the coast offering spectacular vistas from high above the rocks, upon which the waves continually crash.

New England in the Fall? Wow, doesn't get any better than that.
(Probably because we didn't see any snow, right Susan?)

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Thank you all for your comments. Marty thanks for your pm also with lots of references. Lots of time to plan for our trip in October, but I think we will definitely will drive outside of Boston for a one day trip to see color around the area. Also sounds like other than that we don't need a car.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments. Marty thanks for your pm also with lots of references. Lots of time to plan for our trip in October, but I think we will definitely will drive outside of Boston for a one day trip to see color around the area. Also sounds like other than that we don't need a car.

You absolutely do not need and do not want a car when you're going to be in Boston. The subway system is easy to use, not very expensive, and the city is walk-able for many things you'll want to see and do.