• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Borrowing Star Options from next year

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hi Everyone :wave:

I have spoken to Starwood twice and have received two different answers, so hey, I figure I'd come to the experts. I did look at the sticky but didn't see my exact questions answered.

Here goes... When you borrow options from the next year, you have to book 90 days out, but when I called they told me three months. One person told me for borrowing option purposes its 3 months and the other said it's exactly 90 days, so count out 90 days. So does anyone know for sure? Has anyone tried 90 days in advance and was told to call back?

Thanks

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
According to the User Guide on MSC:

Borrowing StarOptions

When confirming reservations during the Network Options Period three (3) months or less prior to your requested arrival date, you can borrow StarOptions up to your annual StarOptions allotment from the next Use Year to complete a reservation. Remember, in addition to borrowing StarOptions during the Network Options Period, you also have the ability to reserve:

• Nightly stays or more
  • Arrival and departure any day of the week
  • In any season
  • In any villa type

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone :wave:

I have spoken to Starwood twice and have received two different answers, so hey, I figure I'd come to the experts. I did look at the sticky but didn't see my exact questions answered.

Here goes... When you borrow options from the next year, you have to book 90 days out, but when I called they told me three months. One person told me for borrowing option purposes its 3 months and the other said it's exactly 90 days, so count out 90 days. So does anyone know for sure? Has anyone tried 90 days in advance and was told to call back?

Thanks

It's 3 months or less from arrival and the ability to make the reservation really controls.

The bolded section above is incorrect. It's the reservation that must be made 3 months or less from arrival. The borrowing takes place to pay for the reservation made 3 months or less from arrival. The requirements for making the reservation and borrowing StarOptions to pay for the reservation use consistent language.

If you asked about borrowing and mentioned 90 days when asking, it's so close that the one agent probably didn't recognize you were looking for absolute precision and didn't want to correct you. So, he/she agreed with your 90-day characterization.

Remember, once you borrow the StarOptions from a week, you will have leftover StarOptions and be unable to make a home resort reservation (12-8 months from arrival) for that week. Your first opportunity to use the remaining StarOptions from the week will be by making an 8-3 month from arrival StarOption reservation. Salty

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's 3 months or less from arrival and the ability to make the reservation really controls.

The bolded section above is incorrect. It's the reservation that must be made 3 months or less from arrival. The borrowing takes place to pay for the reservation made 3 months or less from arrival. The requirements for making the reservation and borrowing StarOptions to pay for the reservation use consistent language.

If you asked about borrowing and mentioned 90 days when asking, it's so close that the one agent probably didn't recognize you were looking for absolute precision and didn't want to correct you. So, he/she agreed with your 90-day characterization.

Remember, once you borrow the StarOptions from a week, you will have leftover StarOptions and be unable to make a home resort reservation (12-8 months from arrival) for that week. Your first opportunity to use the remaining StarOptions from the week will be by making an 8-3 month from arrival StarOption reservation. Salty

So it's three months before the reservation to be made not 90 days, correct?

No actually I didn't even know I had to wait 90 before the reservation, when I asked to book, she said but you already used your week for this year, so if you want to go again this year you would have to borrow next years options (which I knew) but you also have to wait until exactly 90 days before your reservation, and I said 90 days or three months and she told me for borrowing purposes only it's 90 days and not three months. She also went on to say she is a supervisor and shouldn't have even picked up the phone.
Then I called last night and that rep tells me to call back 3 months before and its not 90 days. Go figure, that's why I asked here

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mjasp, ... The way you explain it, she was wrong. It happens, but it really shouldn't.

BTW, my experience is the supervisors are well-versed in SVN trading requirements. But, YMMV. Salty

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Today is Sept. 18th, therefore:

-3 mos. would be Dec. 18, 2012
- 8 mos. would be May. 18, 2013
-12 mos. would be Sept. 18, 2013

SVN_Reservations.gif

***BTW - this chart is posted at the top of the forum for future reference.

Last edited:

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Everyone, Deal is done and I will be celebrating Christmas at the Happiest place on earth!

Thanks for your help, It was painless. and this is the last year that I have to abide by the school calendar so bring on Harborside in January! I can't believe that there is availability in January and we are in September, go figure.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canceling prior to 3 months from arrival and even banking 2012 StarOptions by 10/1/12 may have something to do with availability in 12/12 and 1/13.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does this 90 day/3 month rule still apply to borrowing StarOptions? Here are our 2017 plans and what I and others I have talked with think we need to do to be the most successful.

We currently have a 13 night stay booked at Lagunamar for May. We are also planning on Maui for December. Using our 2017 and 2018 StarOptions, we have enough for the 13 nights at Lagunamar and 6 nights a WKORV the first week of December. Thinking that Maui will be the harder reservation, I think we probably need to use true 2018 StarOptions for that reservation and instead use 2018 borrowed StarOptions for Laguanamar. Using this method, we will be able to use the pure 2017 StarOptions to book Maui online at midnight instead of having to call at 9:00am to use borrowed points. If we have to wait until 90 days out to use borrowed StarOptions, the 13 night reservation at Lagunamar likely won't happen and we will have to use the borrowed points for Maui. I think there is an advantage of being able to book Maui at midnight instead of 9:00am since we are trying to book a 2BR unit.

Is this even possible? The Starwood FAQ from the Vistana/Starwood Owner Resources indicates the following:

5) Can I borrow Staroptions from the next year? -
Yes, but you have to pay the maintenance fee for the next year in advance, and the Staroptions can only be used for reservations made 90 days out.

Is this just out of date, or is this restriction still in place? Also, when paying the future MFs, do you just have to pay the assessed fee, or does the VSN fee also apply?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
** FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD**

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does this 90 day/3 month rule still apply to borrowing StarOptions? Here are our 2017 plans and what I and others I have talked with think we need to do to be the most successful.

You can use borrowed points at 8 months but you have to call.
See this thread - "Can you borrow from future years?" from July 2016
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/can-you-borrow-from-future-years.243896/#post-1916341

I suggest starting a new thread.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
** FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD**

You can use borrowed points at 8 months but you have to call.
See this thread - "Can you borrow from future years?" from July 2016
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/can-you-borrow-from-future-years.243896/#post-1916341

I suggest starting a new thread.
Thanks, I did a Google search and this was the first thread that popped up. When the information here matched the FAQ, I thought this might be the most current info. Thanks for the link to the thread from this year. Great info. Glad we can use borrowed SOs at 8 months. I may start a new thread on the best strategy to do what we want to do.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a minute I thought Jarta was back. Then I realized it was an old thread.

We currently have a 13 night stay booked at Lagunamar for May. We are also planning on Maui for December. Using our 2017 and 2018 StarOptions, we have enough for the 13 nights at Lagunamar and 6 nights a WKORV the first week of December. Thinking that Maui will be the harder reservation, I think we probably need to use true 2018 StarOptions for that reservation and instead use 2018 borrowed StarOptions for Laguanamar. Using this method, we will be able to use the pure 2017 StarOptions to book Maui online at midnight instead of having to call at 9:00am to use borrowed points. If we have to wait until 90 days out to use borrowed StarOptions, the 13 night reservation at Lagunamar likely won't happen and we will have to use the borrowed points for Maui. I think there is an advantage of being able to book Maui at midnight instead of 9:00am since we are trying to book a 2BR unit.

Is this even possible? The Starwood FAQ from the Vistana/Starwood Owner Resources indicates the following:

Is this just out of date, or is this restriction still in place? Also, when paying the future MFs, do you just have to pay the assessed fee, or does the VSN fee also apply?

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ha!!! I thought the same when I saw Jarta's post. Kinda miss ol' Salty.