• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Blue light blockers

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Recently I was told that I need to sleep more than the 5 to 6 hours I do each night. I can sleep for 8 hours if I take a shot of Nyquil a couple of hours before I go to bed.

I was told that because I am watching tv I am getting too much blue light and I should either stop watching tv a few hours before I go to bed or get a blue blocker filter such as blue blocker glasses.

I never heard about this before. Does anyone here at tug use these or know anything about this ?

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently I was told that I need to sleep more than the 5 to 6 hours I do each night. I can sleep for 8 hours if I take a shot of Nyquil a couple of hours before I go to bed.

I was told that because I am watching tv I am getting too much blue light and I should either stop watching tv a few hours before I go to bed or get a blue blocker filter such as blue blocker glasses.

I never heard about this before. Does anyone here at tug use these or know anything about this ?

Bill

Sorry, never heard of blue light affecting sleep. Curious who told you this, a physician?

Have you considered reading instead of watching the idiot box? Are you getting 20-30 minutes of aerobic exercise every day?

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
I use f.lux for my laptop at night and it does a good job of eliminating the harmful blue light that keeps you up at night but it hasn't seemed to help me. Here is info and a link:

"Ever notice how people texting at night have that eerie blue glow?

Or wake up ready to write down the Next Great Idea, and get blinded by your computer screen?

During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.

f.lux
f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better."

https://justgetflux.com/

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I just today noticed a setting for this on my Galaxy S7 phone:

Blue light filter
Reduce eye strain by limiting the amount of blue light emitted by the screen.
Use Blue light filter to help you sleep better.​

I can set the degree of blue reduction and hours when this will automatically go into effect.

I don't recall seeing this before so I suspect it was new with Android 7 that I just received a few days ago.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I really never gave any thought to blue light and sleep. I have been reading ( thanks Dave) links and think that my LG led tv might be a problem. I just installed the flux dealio on my laptop ( thanks kwelty). I see that there is a setting on my Samsung G6 for blue light but I don't really use my phone at night so I decided to leave it be ( thanks Doug).

I might buy the cheapo blue blocker glasses at Amazon to give them a try. I really have my doubts but for $9.99 I think I might as well.

Bill

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I just today noticed a setting for this on my Galaxy S7 phone:

Blue light filter
Reduce eye strain by limiting the amount of blue light emitted by the screen.
Use Blue light filter to help you sleep better.​

I can set the degree of blue reduction and hours when this will automatically go into effect.

I don't recall seeing this before so I suspect it was new with Android 7 that I just received a few days ago.

Yes I have this app too on my Android phone, but mine is older, so I think I had to download it.
I charge my phone by my bedside, and it's a bad habit of mine to check it before bed and in the morning....Never had the blue light problem as much before smartphones :oops:, and I work in front of a monitor most of the day too!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The blue light blocker glasses from amazon did arrive. They are an amber colored lens safety type eye glass made of plastic. They cost about $10. Not too bad on comfort meaning they are comfortable but not as comfortable as regular prescription glasses.

Do they actually work ?

I give it a maybe. I tried them for three nights starting soon after the sun went down. I was tired enough to sleep by 11:30 but only slept about 6.5 hours which isn't too bad for me.

The Nyquil usually knocks me out about an hour after I take it and I sleep for 8 - 10 hours.

For me, Nyquil wins.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The blue light blocker appeared unbidden on my Kindle Fire HD8 a couple of nights ago. It automatically activates about 9 p.m. and turns off at 6 a.m. It's owner changeable- just sweep down from the screen top. It makes the screen various shades of amber. Does it help me sleep? I dunno. I don't always use that tablet in the evening, but because of this thread, I'll use it for a while anyway. There is frequently a TV on in the same room that is not 'color de-blued' so my expectations are modest. I don't have trouble sleeping anyway. 10 mg of melatonin and next thing I know, it's 7 or so hours later.

Jim

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I might try melatonin after I talk to the doctor. I read that it can drop blood pressure and if mine gets any lower it could be a problem.

Bill

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I tried the blue blockers several years ago. They made colors strange but helped when driving in sunny weather- not sure what I ever did with them. Never tried Nyquil- found bourbon works pretty good tho. I usually go to bed about 10 minutes after turning off the TV and computer.