*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Bitting Critters

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by Kauai Kid, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Kauai Kid

Kauai Kid TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Be sure and get something with DEET to repel the bugs. They were really bad in early December on Kauai. Worst we've ever experienced.

Benedril is good to stop the itching and I understand ammonia works well to help alleviate the scratching and welts.

Sterling

2. cookinmamma

cookinmamma TUG Member

I don't remember bugs

Hi Sterling,

Thanks for your post! We are packing tonight for our trip (yippee!) - departing 7:30 tomorrow am. I would've remembered sunscreen, probably cortaid, but not bugspray - - - I get eaten alive by bugs, and don't ever remember them being a problem at all on our 3-4 trips to Kauai & Oahu. I remember the B52 cockroaches/palmettos, esp. on Oahu, but no biters. I always thought it was amazing that we could enjoy open air restaurants & lobbies, and I never got bitten - - so this is bad news for me! At least we'll have some protection (but I also hate using all the chemicals) if it gets bad.
    :cool:

3. johnmfaeth

johnmfaeth TUG Member

During the wet season in the Eastern Caribbean (December - March) - after the "Sept. - November hurricane season" (which is actually pretty dry), the no-see'ems and mosquitos can come out in force.

A great remedy, almost as good at deet bugspray is Gin on a paper towel and blotted on your arms, legs and neck. Don't know if just repels them or gets them drunk but it works well.

A shot of gin for the biting victim also seems to work... :D

4. Kauai Kid

Kauai Kid TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Bugs were the worst in 22 years of traveling to Hawaii. I don't ever remember them being a problem until this Dec.

5. auntdef

auntdef TUG Member

First time we were in Hawaii (Decenber 1998) we spent 14 days bug free and on our last night (on Kauai) my legs got so bitten up I had welts and itching for weeks afterward. It was very, very unpleasant!! Our subsequent trips have been in August and no bug problems....but because of that 1st trip, we don't travel anywhere without bug spray and we put it on in the evenings just before going out!

6. BevL

BevL TUG Lifetime Member

Are they mosquitoes or some kind of biting flies? Just curious as I'm "immune" to mosquitoes, not to flies.

7. auntdef

auntdef TUG Member

In my case they were definetly NOT mosquitoes, they were "knat like".

8. talkamotta

talkamotta TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I got bitten by a bug on the Big Island 2 years ago. Had to go to instacare, etc w/prescriptions and office call $300. Had an allergic reaction to one of the antibiotics and looked real funny for a couple of days.

This year when I went to Hawaii I was prepared. Dont know if I looked good to any bugs but none visited me.

Good advice... Thanks