• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island question. What would you do?

psuscott93

TUG Member
Reaction score
:confused: We are planning a trip to the Big island next year. My wife and I have been to the Big Island twice and have stayed at the Bay Club both times. There will be 3 of us for this trip. Or son will be age 7 at the time of the trip. In terms of point usage, a 2 bed room at the Waikoloa Beach resort is very close to a 1 bedroom at Kings land. My question is this. Which would you choose? I was planning to get a 2 bedroom at the Waikoloa beach resort, but I have been hearing such great things about the super pool at Kings land. Which would be more important to you, the extra space or access to a better pool. We would probably spend the days at different beaches an only a couple of hours in the late afternoon at the pool. I am not interested in blowing the extra points to get a 2 bedroom at Kings land. So, If you were in my shoes and my situation, What would you do? Thanks for your help in advance. :confused:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I would choose the two bedroom.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I agree, the two bedroom. I got into timeshares for the extra space and the
Lower cost. You'll be going to other beaches anyway.:D

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Personally, I would go with the 1BR. I have a daughter that would spend hours a day in the pool, and that would be the tipping factor for us. I think it really depends on how important the nicer pool is for your family.

Kurt

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would book the 2bdr at Waikoloa Beach resort and then just take my DS to the lagoon and pool area at the Hilton hotel one day. The pool and lagoon area is great for kids.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Given the 7 yr old I would take the 1 BR at KL for all the pool time.

I dont have young kids, we would choose a Bay Club unit. We dont care for the Kohala units smaller size.

workshy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just this past May, we stayed at a 1br in Kings Land. Our 11 y.o. son slept on the pull-out couch in the living room. The units at KL are huge. And the super pool is indeed awesome. I would choose KL every single time. But then again, our son is used to sleeping on the pull-out on vacations. I give it another year or so before he starts complaining :)

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
1 Bdrm - 2 double bed KL

We faced the same decision. We decided on 1 bedroom with 2 double bed. The super pool is great for my 7 years old. I am glad we make that decision. My husband can rest and I take my DD to the pool. We have more fun with the super pool than in Hilton pool. There are 3 hot tubs in the property and not too busy unlike Hilton Hotel only have 2 hot tubs. We spend most day - morning beach, come back for late lunch, afternoon pool - dinner at various restaurant. Pool is pretty important for us - don't like to bring all the stuffs to Hilton for afternoon swim and come back to the resort.

Last edited:

SCMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go with Kingsland

We visited the Big Island about a year and a half ago with our four boys. We stayed at Waikaloa (Kohala Suites) in a two bedroom. If I was traveling with only one child, I would stay at Kingsland. Yes, you can go to the hotel. But everything there is really spread out. At Kingsland, you can just kick back on a lounge chair and let your son roam. I think that if you are out all day and want just a few hours of pool time, you will enjoy being just a few steps away from the Kingsland pool. If you get back after being out, how motivated will you be to pack up and take the shuttle over to the big pool, check in for the towels and wristbands, then wander from slide to slide. It is not that far, and it is certainly doable, but I would love the ability to just take the elevator down, grab a drink and relax. Just my two cents...

Emily

Brkian

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on how you plan to use the resort you choose. Kingsland is by far a more complete "resort" where you can spend a whole day (or big chunks of time, anyday) without feeling like you are missing out on the Hawaii experience. WBR, on the other hand, has equally nice rooms, but is more like a series of 6 buildings shoehorned in between the main access road and the Bay Club. WBR has a nice, albeit little, pool, directly attached to the small lobby area and parking lot. It is a hugely different experience than that of Kingsland. I don't mean to knock WBR as it is a fine resort, but it just doesn't stack up to the Kingsland experience in many facets. If you want a really nice plan to sleep and a good location to do daytrips then WBR is for you. But if you want to enjoy an expansive beautiful resort and extraordinary service then you can't beat Kingsland.

cgingrich

Reaction score
Kings Land 1st choice

We haven't been to either yet and will be deciding as well, but I think you've already answered your own question, you'll be using the pool alot with your son. Seeing how you are only travelling with 1 child you really don't need the extra space and using the pool is important part of the vacation and easy access to the resort. Right now you don't need the extra space that the bay club would provide.