*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

biennial odd week?

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by Catira, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Catira

Catira TUG Member

Hi.. any disadvantages to purchasing a biennial week? I am looking at a week that we would be able to use in 2011.

2. Stefa

Stefa TUG Member

We own one biennial timeshare and this is the perfect situation for us.

Just make sure there are no extra fees for a biennial ownership. For example, Starwood charges a $20/year fee for biennial contracts plus the $109 SVN fee (if applicable) is due every year.

3. pkfox

pkfox TUG Member

closing costs

Most of the fixed costs such as closingcosts,deed prep,deed registration and resort fees will be the same where it is anual or every other year. If you can use the other years for trade or rent out you may want to look at an every year purchse. These days purchase price will not be much different.

4. chriskre

chriskre TUG Member

I own 4 annuals and 2 biennials and a triennial.

If I had it to do over again, I would have only purchased 2 annuals, the ones that I always use and the rest would be biennials and triennials.

I find that for me I want to own more than one TS system so since one size doesn't fit all to keep fees down I find the biennial and triennials a much better deal for me.

What system are you thinking of purchasing?

5. thinze3

thinze3 TUG Member

For resorts in locations with high maintenence fees, like Hawaii, the biennial is a great option. We own a biennial Hawaii resort for odd years only and do not plan on going more than once every two years. It has worked out well thus far. :)

6. falmouth3

falmouth3 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

The only negative that I see is that you will still have the full load fees for closing. So if you were to buy 2 biennials, you'd have 2 closing costs. That said, I do own a biennial.

Sue

7. erm

erm TUG Member

If you buy a lockoff you could get a vacation every year for half the maintenance fee ( plus any fees).

8. Patri

Patri Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Biennial is also good if you don't have as much time to travel as you dream of. I own one biennial and one annual, and can't handle more trips than that. I would even be happy with two biennials. The closing cost is minimal, especially if you use some companies recommended on TUG

9. Catira

Catira TUG Member

Great advice

I was hoping for an annual timeshare, but thus far the RCI resort I am looking at is biennial. It is a lockoff unit so that may be an advantage to be had. Thus far I own a small 44100 RCI points acct. $740 MF, which I now realize is a bit more than I want to pay for the amount of points. This is probably one that I will once again try to sell. The other timeshare is wyndham, which I like the fact that we have been lucky to book within 30 days..just got to be patient and persistent.

It's hard to buy another timeshare ... hoping to get a great bargain on Ebay to trade into the great resorts. Its a russian roulette when you make a purchase sometimes not knowing how well it will trade.

But thanks to TUG everyday I learn something new and hope to get as much value from my timeshares.:)

10. falmouth3

It's hard to believe that the only weeks at that resort are biennial. Just keep waiting and I'm sure what you want will show up.

11. Catira

Catira TUG Member

No, I need to clarify. The resort I am seraching for on EBAY, thus far has only shown up with biennial weeks. There have been a few annual weeks, but they are not during red season.

12. falmouth3

Same advice. If you really want an annual, one will show up eventually, I'm sure. Just be patient. ;)

13. TooManyIDs

TooManyIDs TUG Member

Even though you would pay the same closing costs on an annual unit, they are one time charges. Ongoing maintenance fees are reduced for a biennial.

If you only want to use the timeshare every other year, why bother with the headache of trying to rent it or get an equivalent trade (looking at my first timeshare, so interested in answers to that question) ?

I'm also assuming that special assessments are reduced for biennial owners?

Based on posts here, current market doesn't assign any "equity" to ownership and the value of a timeshare is defined as the savings between renting an equivalent unit and the maintenance fees you have to pay.

Again, new here, so very interested in posts from the experienced owners.

14. yumdrey

yumdrey TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

If you want an "annual" ownership, be patient and wait. I would not buy two biennial weeks to make it annual, because you will pay two closing costs, and total MF of two biennial can be more expensive than one annual ownership. Also, when you decide to sell them later in any case, selling one contract is easier than selling two contracts.
    I do own 3 biennial weeks, because I prefer biennial ownership for them. I use 2 of them myself and it's far from my home, so I cannot visit there every year. By owning biennial week, I don't have to worry about rent every other year and I pay MF only when I use them. My Marriott week is biennial and it is lock-off room which means I can have two weeks of exchange through II, and it fits my need. I already have other annual II exchangers, so I wanted biennial Marriott exchanger for Marriott priority.
    For some owners, biennial weeks make sense, but if you want annual, try to buy annual.

15. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Kauai Beach Villas
    Carlsbad Seapointe
    Catira, biennial ownership works great for me. I own a biennial even year in Hawaii, and a biennial odd year on the Oregon Coast. My third timeshare is an annual mini-system that has resorts in Hawaii, Oregon, and elsewhere.

I can alternate vacations, and spend two weeks every two years in Hawaii, or two opposite weeks on the Oregon Coast. And anytime I don't want to do that, they all exchange well for other areas. It's pretty cool.

As others have said, wait for what you want. There is no reason to rush. Check the TUG marketplace, too. There are frequently killer deals there.

Good luck!

Dave

16. theduffster

theduffster TUG Member

Same for us! This means we'll have one week to travel one year, and the next year 2 weeks. That's plenty for us for now.