• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beverages on cruise ships

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
We are going on a Royal Caribbean Alaska cruise this month. This is our first cruise in 25 years. RC offers a prepaid beverage option of $55/ppday. I can't find the actual cost of drinks on the ship to see if it pays to use this option. Does anyone have any recent experience on cruise ships with pros and cons. According to RC the option offers unlimited beer, wine, soft drinks, bottled water, coffee and tea. I am a moderate drinker of alcohol and my wife doesn't drink alcohol. We both drink a lot of water on vacation. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The Royal Caribbean forum on Cruise Critic may be the best place to confirm recent drink prices on the ship. I suspect they can be in the $8-$15 range with perhaps beers closer to $5-6. I would suspect you would have to drink 8-10 drinks a day to make it pay for itself. Also take in to consideration time off the ship. A day in port will cut in to the amount of drinks you will consume where perhaps sea days you may drink a few more.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We are going on a Royal Caribbean Alaska cruise this month. This is our first cruise in 25 years. RC offers a prepaid beverage option of $55/ppday. I can't find the actual cost of drinks on the ship to see if it pays to use this option. Does anyone have any recent experience on cruise ships with pros and cons. According to RC the option offers unlimited beer, wine, soft drinks, bottled water, coffee and tea. I am a moderate drinker of alcohol and my wife doesn't drink alcohol. We both drink a lot of water on vacation. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

Our son just asked me a question about the beverage option. His wife doesn't drink anything alcoholic. He thought there were two different beverage options, with different prices, one with and one without the alcoholic beverages and was wondering if you could select different options or had to take the same thing for both adults in the cabin.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know several people who got upgraded to the beverage option, they drank fancy mixed drinks with the option, and said they had about ten a day. You don't even mention the mixed drinks for $55 a day. I know you pay for soft drinks, but do you have to pay for water on a cruise, or coffee or tea with a meal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Alcoholic drinks are about $7.50 to $12.00 per. PLUS 15% gratuity. Water is also a charge, as is iced tea and fruit juices. Most beers are $7.50. We are modest drinkers, and find the drink packages just don't pay. Even with a package, there are limitations like on 'top shelf' brands or craft beers. iirc it's at $8, and you can't just pay the difference. So like in the dining rooms, you're limited to some fairly basic wines by the glass- unless you buy one (or a package of) bottle and use it meal after meal. No problem doing that. They allow you to bring aboard 2 bottles of wine (in your carry-ons) per cabin at embarkation- but not at subsequent stops.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know you pay for soft drinks, but do you have to pay for water on a cruise, or coffee or tea with a meal?

No. Water, tea, are no charge at meals. There is a charge for 'fancy' coffees.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
No. Water, tea, are no charge at meals. There is a charge for 'fancy' coffees.
Water and tea are charged if not with meal.
Ignore the service charge piece as they will hit you with that whether you buy individually or as a package.
We did it our last cruise as we were allowed to have one person do it and not the other. This made it worth it due to high water price of all things.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For us, the drink packages don't pay. Many people we've known wind up with the "have I drunk enough today to pay for the package?" syndrome, and that doesn't seem like a good thing. There are threads on Cruisecritic.com about the drink packages and how to compute whether they work for you--check under the general threads for Royal. We know people who always get them and people who never get them--not having to pay the service charge they automatically add to individually purchased drinks is a bonus for the package, but you'll still be tipping the waiter individually who brings them.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just came back from a 15 day Panama Canal Cruise on Celebrity. We don't do the drink package.
It is rare that we drink liquor. Coffee,tea, water with meals and we usually hit the buffet for lunch and each bring a glass or two of water to the room. Even in Mexico the cruise ship had large containers of ship water to get cups of off the ship. The only thing we didn't have was bottled water. Not a worry in most places because you can usually buy some in most stores.
Drink packages and Internet just seem like huge ripoff sunless you are a big drinker. Most of the people on our cruise didn't do the Internet package and those that did mostly had problems with slow internet,couldn't connect much of the time and said they'd never buy the package again.
Hope this helps.
Bart

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
On our one and only cruise together dh and I didn't get the drink package. The most I might have in an evening was two drinks, one before dinner and one with dinner. We were able to get coffee, tea and water free of charge at any time. We don't drink soft drinks. We did pay for a few "coffee" drinks, but I don't even know if those would have been included. For us it's just not worth it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cruise beverage package are a good deal if you are going to drinks 4 glasses per day every day on your cruise.
average cost is about $9 dollars for vino and about $10 dollars for liquor + gratitudes.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
On the cruiselines we've been on (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Holland America), there are free dispensers for water, tea, coffee (plain-ol' coffee), and lemonade, in the buffet area. On one cruise (I forget which), we got a free bottle of wine, but otherwise I did not miss the booze.

OTOH, I have a friend who is rarely without a beer in his hand. His idea of a good port of call is one with a Senior Frog's at the dock. I'm sure he uses the option.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
On one Celebrity cruise, we were comp'd basic drink pkg for two. It was a long cruise, and I won't kid you, we enjoyed it, cold beer(s) and fancy, 'umbrella' drinks around the pool, pre-dinner cocktail hour, wine with meals, cappuccino after dinner, a cocktail at the evening show, but even this was barely a break-even, for WAAAY more alcohol than we ordinarily consume.

Tightwad that I am, on embarkation, I try to find a liquor store and get a couple of boxes of wine to tuck into our checked bags (they don't check those in the rush of boarding). There may or may not be the allowed 2 bottles in carry-ons. That is enough for an in cabin pre-dinner glass of vino as the cruise progresses. This cuts down on the consumption of high priced profit center cruise line booze.

Jim

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I liked that Disney cruises have soft drinks available all of the time on the upper deck by the pool, but none of it tasted great, like it does at McDonald's. Someone said it always tastes a little funny on cruise ships. I don't drink much alcohol but do love my pina coladas in Hawaii. I would never pay for a beverage package. Iced tea at dinner would be good enough. Plus, I took bottled water onto our cruise, several bottles per suitcase.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
On Celebrity Cruise Line you need to be Elite and above to received free drinks in the Michael Club Lounge. Also, you can received a free bottle of champagne or you can it exchange it for a bottle of vino on embarking.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We just got back from a cruise to Bermuda on Anthem of the Seas. Water, IceTea, Coffee, hot tea and lemonade are complimentary. Also Fruit juice is complimentary with breakfast. We don't drink very much, but we bought a bottle of wine and they kept it for us for the next day since we didn't drink it all at once. I bought a drink at the Scooner Bar and paid $7 dollars. Unless you are a heavy drinker it's not worth buying. They also offered a soda plan and a gourmet coffee and tea plan too. We found there was plenty of drinks that were complimentary. We went on Royal Caribbean
Silentg

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our neighbors go on cruises constantly, probably ten or more over the winter. They get comped the drink package, but are not drinkers. She says they get bigger bottled water, fancy coffee drinks, and have one fancy cocktail a day. Another friend goes on six or so cruises a year, and finds a way to get comped drink package. They will drink as many as they can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
They certainly do inspect checked luggage, looking for alcohol but also for security threats. Google "naughty room" or search Cruise Critic.

Some lines require all adults in the same cabin to buy the package if one does, to prevent sharing one plan. When we had three in a cabin on Norwegian and had two "free" packages, they didn't do that. It was a 12-day cruise, and the way they priced the package it was "worth" almost $1000. We had to pay 18% of the "value" as gratuity, about $15 a day, which is more than I, an almost non-drinker, would have spent on drinks.

The package covered drinks up to a list price of $15 and gave some discount on bottles of wine. There was a super-premium add-on available. There is always a non-alcohol drink package, which covers WAAAY more soda than you want your child to have. This package covered bottled water. Ship's water is fine, we just fill bottles from the sink.

All of this will be found on your cruise line's website, as they now try to sell this stuff before you get on board.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year we sailed on RC ANTHEM OF THE SEAS we were DIAMOND loyalty members on ANTHEM and their Diamond lounge served the very, very best free drinks at sea (no limits on your drinks) (time frame 5PM - 7PM0 every night .

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year we sailed on RC ANTHEM OF THE SEAS we were DIAMOND loyalty members on ANTHEM and their Diamond lounge served the very, very best free drinks at sea (no limits on your drinks) (time frame 5PM - 7PM0 every night .
Did your Diamond level loyalty membership come from your Celebrity Captain's Club or did you earn it from RC nights? We are Celebrity Elite and enjoy the comp'd evening cocktail hour(s) too. We know that Celebrity & Royal Caribbean's loyalty awards transfer equally.

Jim

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Royal allows two bottles of wine PER CABIN to go onboard. If there are two bottles of wine in the suitcase, that's not a problem. I can't imagine that they group all the bags going to a particular stateroom and then inspect them to make sure that there aren't more bottles in another suitcase that is going to the same room.......and then, if you're willing to wheel one around the ship until your room is open, there's your carryon.......

If you take a bottle to a dining venue, there's a $15.00 corkage fee. If you drink a glass in your room, of course, there's no fee.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did your Diamond level loyalty membership come from your Celebrity Captain's Club or did you earn it from RC nights? We are Celebrity Elite and enjoy the comp'd evening cocktail hour(s) too. We know that Celebrity & Royal Caribbean's loyalty awards transfer equally.

Jim
We earned it by sailing Celebrity. In the Diamond Lounge we ordered prem. drinks every night. Plus, There was no additional charges. Celebrity also allow two (2) bottles of vino when boarding their ships.

Did you rec'd your Diamond Pin?

We are looking forward to booking the New Edge Ship when things cool down.

Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Azamara loyalty awards transfer equally.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We're Royal Diamond Plus and Celebrity Elite. I'm really surprised you didn't get charged for premium drinks in the diamond lounge----somebody must have liked you a lot.:cool:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We are on Holland America now. The corkage fee is $18 per bottle.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Service in the Diamond lounge was just outstanding. This is a do not missed lunge on Anthem of the Seas.