• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best unlocked inexpensive phone for Canada?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going to be traveling to Canada soon, and our U.S. cell phones can't be used there--they're on the wrong network.

I understand that I need an unlocked phone to take to Canada. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive pay-as-you-go option? I just need to be able to talk and text. I don't have to have data (although of course it would be nice). TIA!

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This strikes me as odd - did you check with your carrier to see if they have a "plan" that you can purchase for the time that you are in Canada? Even if your carrier isn't in Canada (for example, let's say Verison), they should have an agreement with some Canadian carrier to provide their customers with service. We have lots of friends (from all different states, so likely different carriers) who visit us and they never have any problem with their phones.

The only type of phone that won't work here (I think) are the old analog phones, but do they even work in the US any longer?

Best of luck in getting this sorted out!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wacky, are you looking for just a short term phone for just this trip, or do you want a new, unlocked phone for both at home and away? If your current carrier is Sprint, or some areas of Verizon, where only CDMA is available. You're pretty much stuck with what you have. Most carriers worldwide use GSM, and virtually any unlocked phone will work anywhere. If you just want a cheapie for one trip, perhaps a pay-as-you-go phone from Wal-Mart would work for you. If you want a nice, unlocked new phone, and are Amazon Prime, look at the BLU R1 on Amazon. $59. Unlocked with 2 SIM slots, so you can keep your 'at home' number and service active, and put a SIM for wherever you travel (available in kiosks, phone stores, Online) in the second slot.

Jim

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
This strikes me as odd - did you check with your carrier to see if they have a "plan" that you can purchase for the time that you are in Canada? Even if your carrier isn't in Canada (for example, let's say Verison), they should have an agreement with some Canadian carrier to provide their customers with service. We have lots of friends (from all different states, so likely different carriers) who visit us and they never have any problem with their phones.

The only type of phone that won't work here (I think) are the old analog phones, but do they even work in the US any longer?

Best of luck in getting this sorted out!

We have Boost pay-as-you-go phones, which use the Sprint network in the United States. The networks in Canada use a different protocol than Sprint. So if you have a phone that relies on the AT&T network or the Verizon network, you can take it into Canada and arrange coverage with your existing carrier. If your phone uses the Sprint network, you're out of luck.

Your friends might well all have better plans than we do!

Velo

Reaction score
7/11 in Canada sell cheap unlocked phones and if you don't want data they also have a $25 plan that lasts a year, good for just having in the glove box.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wacky, are you looking for just a short term phone for just this trip, or do you want a new, unlocked phone for both at home and away? If your current carrier is Sprint, or some areas of Verizon, where only CDMA is available. You're pretty much stuck with what you have. Most carriers worldwide use GSM, and virtually any unlocked phone will work anywhere. If you just want a cheapie for one trip, perhaps a pay-as-you-go phone from Wal-Mart would work for you. If you want a nice, unlocked new phone, and are Amazon Prime, look at the BLU R1 on Amazon. $59. Unlocked with 2 SIM slots, so you can keep your 'at home' number and service active, and put a SIM for wherever you travel (available in kiosks, phone stores, Online) in the second slot.

Jim

Thanks! Our phones are indeed on the Sprint network. I want to keep my nice phone and my number, so I don't know if I could use a two-SIM phone at all. I guess I could get a two-SIM phone and get a new U.S. number AND a new Canadian number? That way people in both countries could call me.

Thanks!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Except...they're only available in Canada? And you need a Canadian credit card to get one?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, no, I don't think that will work. Still puzzling over this. It seems like it should be easy.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about calling/emailing tracphone support and asking them if their service works in Canada. Their SIM will work in the Blu phone, and you could port your Boost number to the tracphone. That would seem to accomplish what you want to do all the way around.

Jim

P.S. I looked at that tracphone sim, and it shows a U.S. map, and says Nationwide service, but the T-Mobile one on the same page of Amazon says theirs has unlimited talk/text/2G data in US, Canada, and Mexico.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had a lovely chat session with AT&T.

It looks like I can get an unlocked GSM phone, then port my number over from Boost, then use that as a GoPhone for $60 per month that will work in the US and Canada. No need for two SIMS. And I really love my Samsung Galaxy S4 (yes, I know, it's old).

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about calling/emailing tracphone support and asking them if their service works in Canada. Their SIM will work in the Blu phone, and you could port your Boost number to the tracphone. That would seem to accomplish what you want to do all the way around.

Jim

P.S. I looked at that tracphone sim, and it shows a U.S. map, and says Nationwide service, but the T-Mobile one on the same page of Amazon says theirs has unlimited talk/text/2G data in US, Canada, and Mexico.

Thanks! Tracfone support is pretty bad...actually, Boost support isn't great either. I've been happy with Boost, but I think I'm ready to move on to AT&T to get the two-country coverage with my own number. Off to look for a phone!

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Roam Mobility

There's a Canadian company that will sell you a SIM card for use in an unlocked phone and which is good indefinitely. I use them for trips to the US but they also offer plans now for US travellers to Canada. They have arrangements with major providers in both the US and Canada and the service is excellent.
See roammobility.ca
Unlimited talk, text, 400mb data per day, and hotspot tethering, voice-mail and lots more for $35usd per week, $50 for 14 days & $60 for 21 days. Sim card included in price. This is for lte coverage...
Requires an unlocked phone.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a Canadian company that will sell you a SIM card for use in an unlocked phone and which is good indefinitely. I use them for trips to the US but they also offer plans now for US travellers to Canada. They have arrangements with major providers in both the US and Canada and the service is excellent.
See roammobility.ca
Unlimited talk, text, 400mb data per day, and hotspot tethering, voice-mail and lots more for $35usd per week, $50 for 14 days & $60 for 21 days. Sim card included in price. This is for lte coverage...
Requires an unlocked phone.

Thanks! Will hold on to that. We have another lead--my friend who has T-Mobile is looking to see if she can add me on to her plan for $10 a month, and then if I bring an unlocked phone, can it be used in Canada. We think this might be a promising new development!

Thanks to all who are helping me with this struggle!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thanks! Will hold on to that. We have another lead--my friend who has T-Mobile is looking to see if she can add me on to her plan for $10 a month, and then if I bring an unlocked phone, can it be used in Canada. We think this might be a promising new development!

Thanks to all who are helping me with this struggle!

^this is the best solution

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Do you use T-Mobile, Ken? Does it work in Canada?

Of course it works in Canada - that's the whole point of their newer North American coverage. I'll be using this for my next trip north.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our Tracfone DID NOT WORK in Canada despite spending an hour on the phone in the US with their 'TECHNICAL EXPERT" before we left. :wall:

Sterling

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've ordered a new unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4. I would have gotten a Blu, but they say that it doesn't always work with T-Mobile's voice network. I love my S4, so I figured at least this way I would have a nice new unlocked phone to switch to any carrier that works.

I'll let you all know how this works out! Going away for a few days (not to Canada), so I'll get it going next week.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our Tracfone DID NOT WORK in Canada despite spending an hour on the phone in the US with their 'TECHNICAL EXPERT" before we left. :wall:

Sterling

Yeah, I know those Tracfone people. You really can drive yourself up a wall with them. It's worth almost any amount of money not to have to deal with them.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Of course it works in Canada - that's the whole point of their newer North American coverage. I'll be using this for my next trip north.

That's why we are going to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile after our trip to USVI (not sure about T-mol's coverage there but will find out in a week as our guest uses a T-mol phone).

Ken, how is the T-Mobile's coverage in Europe? going to Italy/Croatia/Greece in a month...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken, how is the T-Mobile's coverage in Europe? going to Italy/Croatia/Greece in a month...

I've heard it's quite good there, but that's what you should expect from almost all carriers since they have roaming agreements. I usually use a local sim and service when in Europe, though I did use it in Germany earlier this year since I was only there a two nights and German prepaid services are still expensive.

I know this summer T-Mobile was offering LTE data speeds in Europe rather than the very slow 2G speeds they normally offer. It was better for people I knew who visited to use that rather than getting a new sim. If this becomes a standard feature in future, it will remove the need for me to get a country/region specific sim when traveling.