• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Timeshare Program for AZ/CA/NV

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Phoenix and own a small resell timeshare at Wyndham. Overall I like it but was wondering what other timeshare has good units within driving distance from Phoenix, prefer Southern CA, Northern AZ, and Vegas area. To be honest I have not done a lot of research, figured I would reach out for suggestions. Not sure if there are only places that have such cheap resell like Wyndham. Really want a point program so I am not tied to one resort.

Appreciate any suggestions.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark has lots of locations and is a point system. It will cost more to buy in, but your annual fees and other fees will be less than what you pay for Wyndham.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark has lots of locations and is a point system. It will cost more to buy in, but your annual fees and other fees will be less than what you pay for Wyndham.

Yeah I thought about them. Wasn't sure if there was anything outside of Wyndham network. Some Worldmark properties are already dual-owned by Wyndham and Worldmark so I can go to those already. Still a possibility I may go with them.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
HGVC has several Vegas and SoCal locations. Vegas would be a good buy because those locations carry the lowest MF's in their system.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC has several Vegas and SoCal locations. Vegas would be a good buy because those locations carry the lowest MF's in their system.

Last time I went to Vegas, stayed in a timeshare at Wyndham Grand Desert, walking to the strip I saw the Hilton Grand Vacations Club On The Boulevard was hooked up to Planet Hollywood.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Last time I went to Vegas, stayed in a timeshare at Wyndham Grand Desert, walking to the strip I saw the Hilton Grand Vacations Club On The Boulevard was hooked up to Planet Hollywood.
There are actually several HGVC resorts in Las Vegas. The one you saw attached to Planet Hollywood is known as Elara. There is one behind the Flamingo on the Strip, one farther north on the Strip, one next to the Westgate, and some units in Trump Tower.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are actually several HGVC resorts in Las Vegas. The one you saw attached to Planet Hollywood is known as Elara. There is one behind the Flamingo on the Strip, one farther north on the Strip, one next to the Westgate, and some units in Trump Tower.

Thanks for the correction. Was thinking about renting at the one next to the Planet Hollywood.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Yeah I thought about them. Wasn't sure if there was anything outside of Wyndham network. Some Worldmark properties are already dual-owned by Wyndham and Worldmark so I can go to those already. Still a possibility I may go with them.

I'd still recommend Worldmark. Really fabulously positioned all along west coast, and multiple resorts in CO, UT, NV & AZ.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a 2BR/2BA in Sedona that is in RCI Points. We have traveled timeshares all over the world on those points plus used it to host our grown kids when they lived in PHX. It was our best timeshare purchase. Resale, of course.

Jim

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd still recommend Worldmark. Really fabulously positioned all along west coast, and multiple resorts in CO, UT, NV & AZ.

I too recommend WM.

With inventory specials and Monday Madness plus bonus time you could get a lot of use out of a small WM account.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too recommend WM.

With inventory specials and Monday Madness plus bonus time you could get a lot of use out of a small WM account.

Thanks never heard of the Monday Madness, just googled it and looks pretty interesting.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
For June and July WM has inventory specials for Balboa Park and Mission Valley. Albeit the pickings are slim now. At less than .07 per credit. In years past I have been able to piece together some great stays using these specials.

I'm looking for two bedroom WM Anaheim next week and still haven't given up hope using bonus time. Although I have acceptable hotels booked.....

WM is a good system if you like 3 stars(ok penthouse units are higher) and you like the locations. It is great for us because we go to San Diego and Seattle often.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other system with good coverage in CA/NZ/AZ is Shell. MF are higher, but cheaper up front.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two smaller companies to look at are Welk Resorts and Grand Pacific. Welk deeded units trade well in II. We use it for many of the Marriott locations in the southwest (mainly Sep - April). Welk also has a point system and some of their new locations are available only to point owners. I know less about Grand Pacific resorts, but they have a number of location in California.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Hyatt quality is hard to beat....

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to keep mentioning this, if you want to have a LOT of (mostly) Western independent, well managed, well located resorts that have priority access to RCI and (some) to II, but consider VRI. You buy into them individually. Most (probably all) can be bought resale, and all have priority with Trading Places www.tradingplaces.com/ and RCI for something like 71 resorts. Now, they are not over-the-top luxury. Most don't have stainless kitchen appliances and granite counters, but all are well located and have owner controlled boards that are not beholden to corporate developers. Take a look: http://www.8664myvacation.com/rentHome.php This will give you an idea of locations. Remember, there is no ONE place to buy in. Just buy any week at any resort, and you're a member.

Jim

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Do you need a system? Why not buy something you like and will use often? Then if you want to trade it sometimes, trade it :)

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where does Diamond system rank in all of this? Not a Diamond owner but have exchanged into many of their properties in the western US. Have never sat for presentation nor followed if their owners are happy or not.

Also, Vistana is a pretty decent ownership and while they don't have as much as WM, Diamond or Hyatt in the western US, properties are nice and trade fairly strongly w/ both II and RCI.

Right now, I would stear clear of any system connected with Wyndham until they can clean up the mess they are making. Whatever we are seeing now will eventually roll into, and on top of, the Shell and WM systems.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
DRI has two main issues - Maintenance Fees and if you buy Resell you can only use those Points directly in your Home Collection. You can use Resell Points to trade through II into another DRI Collection but then you are treated like a non-owner for such things as Daily Resort Fees

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to keep mentioning this, if you want to have a LOT of (mostly) Western independent, well managed, well located resorts that have priority access to RCI and (some) to II, but consider VRI. You buy into them individually. Most (probably all) can be bought resale, and all have priority with Trading Places www.tradingplaces.com/ and RCI for something like 71 resorts. Now, they are not over-the-top luxury. Most don't have stainless kitchen appliances and granite counters, but all are well located and have owner controlled boards that are not beholden to corporate developers. Take a look: http://www.8664myvacation.com/rentHome.php This will give you an idea of locations. Remember, there is no ONE place to buy in. Just buy any week at any resort, and you're a member.

Jim
I know several VRI owners and they are reasonably happy with what they own. Have also traded into VRI properties. OP started his ownership with Wyndham however and there is a difference in quality. Wyndham is not Hyatt quality and VRI is not Wyndham quality. VRI properties are decent but you will notice a difference.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI has two main issues - Maintenance Fees and if you buy Resell you can only use those Points directly in your Home Collection. You can use Resell Points to trade through II into another DRI Collection but then you are treated like a non-owner for such things as Daily Resort Fees

Do you know anyone who has used DRI resale point to trade through II? About a year ago Diamond changed their rule from resale point could not be used with II, to they can be used. But I cannot find anyone who has been successful. I am aware that Monarch and EU points work in II, but not points in the others collections (US, HI, CA, ILX).

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know several VRI owners and they are reasonably happy with what they own. Have also traded into VRI properties. OP started his ownership with Wyndham however and there is a difference in quality. Wyndham is not Hyatt quality and VRI is not Wyndham quality. VRI properties are decent but you will notice a difference.

I am not a "high class" person. I don't need granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. BellaWyn as you know I love Wyndham Flagstaff but I also like Wyndham Pinetop which may not be as nice. Really just want a place to get away, that will have a full kitchen, washer and dryer, and living spaces with 2 bedrooms. You know the problems Wyndham is having right now that is why I have not looked at getting more resell points and really want to open up the amount of different locations I can go to without paying an arm and a leg. Maybe I should just wait around and see what happens and just rent from current owners at different timeshares.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not a "high class" person. I don't need granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. BellaWyn as you know I love Wyndham Flagstaff but I also like Wyndham Pinetop which may not be as nice. Really just want a place to get away, that will have a full kitchen, washer and dryer, and living spaces with 2 bedrooms. You know the problems Wyndham is having right now that is why I have not looked at getting more resell points and really want to open up the amount of different locations I can go to without paying an arm and a leg. Maybe I should just wait around and see what happens and just rent from current owners at different timeshares.
You did an awesome job with "rent to try" before jumping into a Wyndham ownership. There are owners in all of the systems mentioned that rent. It's a really smart, prudent approach to test driving a product before purchasing.

Also, IMO y'all have smarts and class. Don't sell yourself short. Quality of product is always a sujective personal thing. We have experienced pretty much all levels of "quality" related to TS stays (we're old and been doing it for a lot longer than TUG has been around). What usually makes the "getaway" is time with people you enjoy, regardless of what level of quality we choose. I put the quality issue out there only as one of many things to consider when making a choice of what to buy. For some, it makes a difference.

We like Flag and Pinetop too, for different ressons.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I would add that DRI's sales tactics are notorious for being the very worst (with the possible exception of Westgate) in the entire industry. And given the incredibly low bar of sales integrity in the timeshare industry, that's saying something. From forging customer documents to bait and switch tactics to outright fraud. In addition, DRI's resale value is virtually non-existent. Personally, I wouldn't touch that system with a 100-foot pole.

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark is my recommendation. We bought WorldMark specifically because of so many properties in the west. Also the flexibility to book any number of nights within 10 months (red time between 10 and 13 months out require a 7 night stay but it can be grouped at multiple resorts). Also if you can travel on short notice (within 15 days of arrival) you can book bonus time for a fee (can Beas low as $50/night) so that's a great benefit. There are 31 resorts in the three states you listed. I think you will be hard pressed to find another system with that many resorts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk