*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Best RCI Resorts in Kauai , Maui or Big Island

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by pointhound, Oct 25, 2007.

1. pointhound

pointhound TUG Member

Out of the RCI resorts in Kauai , Maui or the Big Island, which are the best in your opinion? Why would you consider it one of the best?

Thanks, Pointhound

2. DianneL

DianneL TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

For us on Kauai, Pahio at the Shearwater. Outstanding resort, large and spacious accommodations and great view. Probably our best exchange ever. Have had other exchanges on Kauai, Maui and Big Island. Those, for the most part, were good, but not great.

3. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We also feel that Shearwater outshines any of the others on the islands, but we haven't traded into the Marriotts, Hiltons or the Westin.

Shearwater units are very large, have a gorgeous ocean view and comfortable beds. The downside is the lack of decor and the need for new upholstery in the living room. Seems like such an easy fix to me. The cleaning staff needs to clean the rafters in the penthouses, too.

I would also hate to get units 106, 107 and 206, which have little to no view of the ocean. I also read in the TUG reviews that someone had a miserable time sleeping, with the hot tub right outside the bedroom door and folks not respecting the late-night "quiet voices" unwritten rule.

4. JeffW

JeffW TUG Member

Second both comments. I was in Shearwater 2 weeks ago (213, overlooking the golf course), and the size of the unit is phenominal (1st or 2nd largest I've ever been in). I had no problem with the LR furniture. Some stains on carpet in 2nd bedroom, also not a big deal. I hated the 2 full beds in the 2nd BR though - the room is huge, they can't put in 2 queen's? But jacuzzi tubs in both bedrooms, full kitchen w/ Jennair grill, Sony WEGA TV, Sony DVD/vcr combo, even a real Sony stereo, plus free wireless internet, all very tough to beat.

We stayed at Pono Kai a few years ago (II exchange), which is what I thought I wanted again this trip, based on thinking I'd be better being more centrally located. However, I loved the Princeville/Hanalei area, and would definitely try for Shearwater again on a future trip.

Jeff

5. Picker57

Picker57 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Same question, different specifics. We're Shell (points) owners, and Shell has no property on Maui. They do have the RCI collection available. Any suggestions for a resort on Maui? We noticed the RCI catalog shows a few in Kihei, but not much else. We'd like to avoid the touristy Kaanapali area, but that's probably not critical.
    Any & all suggestions are appreciated.

---Zach

6. Kauai Kid

Kauai Kid TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Give the Kihei area a check with RCI. Pretty decent "Middle Class" resorts and the area is much closer to the airport, mountain, etc than Kanapali.

We of course like the Maui Schooner--still the single best equipped time share we've ever experienced.

Sterling