• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Places for Retirement in US

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
May through October is usually quite nice in CDA. Highs average 65 in May to 58 in Oct. with 2 inches of rain per month and even less in the summer (source: Wilkepedia).

Different perspective on "good" weather, I guess. I golf, and even in southern Idaho, where the winters are much more mild than northern Idaho, the winters are too long. In CDA, it snows into April, and May and June still average 1/3 of the days with precip. Golf in the rain -- no bueno. As I said, I went to CDA for about 12 straight years in mid-to-late June, and we almost always ran into at least one bad day. Not horrendous, but I don't want to retire to those conditions. A summer condo there would be fantastic, however. :)

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Different perspective on "good" weather, I guess. I golf, and even in southern Idaho, where the winters are much more mild than northern Idaho, the winters are too long. In CDA, it snows into April, and May and June still average 1/3 of the days with precip. Golf in the rain -- no bueno. As I said, I went to CDA for about 12 straight years in mid-to-late June, and we almost always ran into at least one bad day. Not horrendous, but I don't want to retire to those conditions. A summer condo there would be fantastic, however. :)

Yes, it's all perspective. We live near the Gulf Coast, where our summers are horrible (torrential rain/thunderstorms and high humidity, and the ever threat of hurricanes). Do you live near Boise? We havn't been there, but have though it might be a place to consider.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's all perspective. We live near the Gulf Coast, where our summers are horrible (torrential rain/thunderstorms and high humidity, and the ever threat of hurricanes). Do you live near Boise? We havn't been there, but have though it might be a place to consider.

Boise is a fantastic place. Easy to see why it continually makes the lists of top places to live. Having said that, if one likes to be outdoors year-round (aside from skiing, snowmobiling, snow-shoeing, etc) the winters can be pretty long. Due to marginal weather (mostly lower temps, not snow) and shorter days, November through mid-March can be pretty prohibitive for non-snow-related outdoor activities.

Ideal golf weather aside, I'd like to put on shorts and be somewhat comfortable being outside for half an hour without freezing, which means at least 45-50 degrees. Speaking of weather and the Gulf Coast, I'm reminded of the time I showed up for a morning tee time in Gulf Shores, in shorts, in 55ish degree weather. Locals all had coats on and looked at me like I had 3 heads. :)

uop1497

Reaction score
We took a vacation in Idaho a couples years ago. I love beautiful scenery at Glacier National park, but was told it is very cold and snowy during winter time.

I have always thought that we will live near our children and their family so that when we get to the ailing age, it is easy for them to take care of us. However, recently, I realize that our wish just a nice dream, not in reality. So, I do plan to to live near our children any more . With your inputs, I will begin to look into these places and hopefully we can find a place to call home again.

Have anyone thought about living in other places Chiang Mai, Bali ect...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We took a vacation in Idaho a couples years ago. I love beautiful scenery at Glacier National park, but was told it is very cold and snowy during winter time.

I have always thought that we will live near our children and their family so that when we get to the ailing age, it is easy for them to take care of us. However, recently, I realize that our wish just a nice dream, not in reality. So, I do plan to to live near our children any more . With your inputs, I will begin to look into these places and hopefully we can find a place to call home again.

Not if you want the healthcare standard of the US. Both these cities are also very hot and humid... yeek.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

We have dealt with this as well. Cannot depend on our adult daughter to look after us in our later years. Unfortunately, I think this is the norm these days.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
...... With your inputs, I will begin to look into these places and hopefully we can find a place to call home again.

You originally asked for recommendations in the US. Thinking of looking a bit further? Waaay back in my middle aged single-ness, I considered retiring to someplace in Mexico. Part of me still looks at condos and apartments there when we visit Mexico in the Winter. I find myself drawn to the photos on realtors' windows. As to Southeast Asia, it's just too 'out there' for me, climate wise, food wise, culture wise. Nice place to visit, but for me, I couldn't live there.

Jim

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We moved to Florida when we were in our30's. Coming up on full retirement for us both within the next2 years. DH says we are in our retirement home already. Kids are grown and both still live in Florida. We have6 weeks of timeshare and love to travel, hopefully we can continue to travel for many more years.
Silentg

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

One of the guys I grew up with moved to Singapore after he became an attorney back in the 80's. He took a position at a law firm in Singapore. He really likes it there. Where he lives English is the main language but he is fluent in some other language as well. A few weeks ago we met up for a couple of beers and we were invited to Singapore but I doubt we go.

My wifes first cousin moved to Bucerias Mexico years ago. He has some level of Mexican citizenship or paper work now that allows him to stay in Mexico. They have homes in our city, Bucerias and San Luis Potosi. They really like living in Mexico. We see these people in the winter when we head to Nuevo Vallarta.

Another person I know moved to Panama. Haven't heard anything about them since.

For me, these places and many others are fun to think about moving to or visiting but my main home will always be right here, says my wife, who is usually right.

Bill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
One of the guys I grew up with moved to Singapore after he became an attorney back in the 80's. He took a position at a law firm in Singapore. He really likes it there. Where he lives English is the main language but he is fluent in some other language as well. A few weeks ago we met up for a couple of beers and we were invited to Singapore but I doubt we go.
Thanks for your post -- it brings back some great memories.

My wife and I lived in Singapore for 4 months back in '98, and we absolutely loved it there. English was spoken everywhere, with the exception of housing, cost of living was very reasonable (much less than the US), there was no lack of things to do there (arts, nature, entertainment, etc.), the variety of food was incredible, and the public transportation was extremely easy to use and very efficient. Most important of all, we felt extremely safe there for being in a big city -- very low crime rate, and we were never uncomfortable walking around late at night. Singapore is a melting pot in SE Asia, so they have influences from many countries, mainly Malaysia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan and Australia.

If we didn't now have a daughter (don't want to be that far away), I would jump at the opportunity of retiring in Singapore. It really was that good of an experience.

Kurt

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Has anyone on TUG retired and moved to Hawaii? We dream of being Kauai snowbirds, but retirement is still a ways away for us.

We were lucky enough to purchase a home in Hawaii (Hamakua Coast Big Island) in 2001 and moved permanently in 2006. We spent 8 years on the east side of the island and in 2014, built a home on the Kohala Coast and sold our Hamakua house. We love living in Hawaii, no traffic (we very rarely venture into Kona), lots of farmer's markets for fresh fruits and vegetables and Costco for our staples. You can do as much or as little as you want and have never had 'Island fever'. We enjoy playing tourists when we have company staying with us.
Based on all of the places we have visited on the mainland, this was the right choice and we have not looked back.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your post -- it brings back some great memories.

My wife and I lived in Singapore for 4 months back in '98, and we absolutely loved it there. English was spoken everywhere, with the exception of housing, cost of living was very reasonable (much less than the US), there was no lack of things to do there (arts, nature, entertainment, etc.), the variety of food was incredible, and the public transportation was extremely easy to use and very efficient. Most important of all, we felt extremely safe there for being in a big city -- very low crime rate, and we were never uncomfortable walking around late at night. Singapore is a melting pot in SE Asia, so they have influences from many countries, mainly Malaysia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan and Australia.

If we didn't now have a daughter (don't want to be that far away), I would jump at the opportunity of retiring in Singapore. It really was that good of an experience.

Kurt
Singapore has become the most expensive city in the world, third wealthiest in the world. Housing and cars are very expensive. Good luck on getting permanent residence there - I think investment in the region of $2-3M (not net wealth but investment to generate jobs/business) for retirees the last I checked.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We were lucky enough to purchase a home in Hawaii (Hamakua Coast Big Island) in 2001 and moved permanently in 2006. We spent 8 years on the east side of the island and in 2014, built a home on the Kohala Coast and sold our Hamakua house. We love living in Hawaii, no traffic (we very rarely venture into Kona), lots of farmer's markets for fresh fruits and vegetables and Costco for our staples. You can do as much or as little as you want and have never had 'Island fever'. We enjoy playing tourists when we have company staying with us.
Based on all of the places we have visited on the mainland, this was the right choice and we have not looked back.

We like Waimea(Kamuela) and north side of Big Island too, when we visited a couple of years ago; so much so that we got a timeshare in Waikoloa :)
DD wants to move to Big Island to live and work, and is saving up for it. She and I joke that DH & I will retire there before her.

DH and I have been lately been doing a bit of "what if" for retirement and locations, although it's several years off for us.
My mom and extended birth family all live in Honolulu; and I'll likely have an opportunity to buy-inherit my mother's house.
Yet we can't imagine living in Honolulu year round with our current responsibilities, and we really like our house & location, plus the grown kids are here too.

We're all lucky we have choices. In my mother's generation and her peers, my aunts and uncles, there were fewer choices to where they retired or when they retired.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like Waimea(Kamuela) and north side of Big Island too, when we visited a couple of years ago; so much so that we got a timeshare in Waikoloa :)
DD wants to move to Big Island to live and work, and is saving up for it. She and I joke that DH & I will retire there before her.

DH and I have been lately been doing a bit of "what if" for retirement and locations, although it's several years off for us.
My mom and extended birth family all live in Honolulu; and I'll likely have an opportunity to buy-inherit my mother's house.
Yet we can't imagine living in Honolulu year round with our current responsibilities, and we really like our house & location, plus the grown kids are here too.

We're all lucky we have choices. In my mother's generation and her peers, my aunts and uncles, there were fewer choices to where they retired or when they retired.

It makes it easier for you since you have close relatives that live in Hawaii. My problem with Hawaii and much of the western U.S. is that in buying property/house, your $ just doesn't go very far. Our house would be at least 3 times what we paid in Hawaii, Colorado, Oregon, California, Washington, etc..

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My problem with Hawaii and much of the western U.S. is that in buying property/house, your $ just doesn't go very far. Our house would be at least 3 times what we paid in Hawaii, Colorado, Oregon, California, Washington, etc..
That was another thing that kept us in Idaho. You can buy a LOT more house here for the same price as a fairly modest place in those states you list. Back in the housing bubble in 2007-08 people (mostly from California) would fly here, and be met at the airport by realtors who would show them how they could sell the Cal house, buy a bigger, newer, nicer home here, and even retire earlier on the savings. The R.E. bubble burst and ended much of that, but home prices are still a comparative bargain in Idaho compared to most other locales in the U.S. For us, considering moving makes us swallow very hard when we see what it would cost to put a roof over our heads elsewhere.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We retired in 1997 and decided to sell our home and furniture and hit the road touring in the United States in a 40 foot long pop out RV. We definitely wanted to move out of Northern California just like you and traveled for a year following the sun looking at places to retire to .High on our personally developed 100 point retirement scale were Colorado Springs and Vero Beach Florida for the winter and Ashville in the summer. Even hire on a rating scale was Oahu Hawaii. Having lived there previously and making many trips this was highest on our scale. Because of family health matters we decided to go back to Northern California and build a home. In 2004 we sold this home and moved to Surprise ,Arizona into a Dell Webb retirement community for nine years. Loved the activities but we fled the summer months either in an RV Or to visit California in a small condo we bought. In 2013 having two new young grand daughters we sold his home and moved into our California condo temporarily until we purchased a new residence. We moved into the new residence for four years now moved to our final destination of a continuing care community nearby. Money magazine has an October issue which has the best places to live in 2017. Possibly this might help you in your choosing. But remember Northern California is a great place to live.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We retired in 1997 and decided to sell our home and furniture and hit the road touring in the United States in a 40 foot long pop out RV. We definitely wanted to move out of Northern California just like you and traveled for a year following the sun looking at places to retire to .High on our personally developed 100 point retirement scale were Colorado Springs and Vero Beach Florida for the winter and Ashville in the summer. Even hire on a rating scale was Oahu Hawaii. Having lived there previously and making many trips this was highest on our scale. Because of family health matters we decided to go back to Northern California and build a home. In 2004 we sold this home and moved to Surprise ,Arizona into a Dell Webb retirement community for nine years. Loved the activities but we fled the summer months either in an RV Or to visit California in a small condo we bought. In 2013 having two new young grand daughters we sold his home and moved into our California condo temporarily until we purchased a new residence. We moved into the new residence for four years now moved to our final destination of a continuing care community nearby. Money magazine has an October issue which has the best places to live in 2017. Possibly this might help you in your choosing. But remember Northern California is a great place to live.

Love Northern CA; problem is the house we are planning to build near Asheville we could not afford in CA.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You originally asked for recommendations in the US. Thinking of looking a bit further? Waaay back in my middle aged single-ness, I considered retiring to someplace in Mexico. Part of me still looks at condos and apartments there when we visit Mexico in the Winter. I find myself drawn to the photos on realtors' windows. As to Southeast Asia, it's just too 'out there' for me, climate wise, food wise, culture wise. Nice place to visit, but for me, I couldn't live there.

Jim

I have a friend from here who regularly visited Puerto Vallarta to vacation. After several trips, he got tired of hotels, and bought a condo in a vacation-rental building. When he didn't need to stay in his condo, the vacation rental people rented it out for him. He went down there for a week or two, or three, or four, at a time. He stayed longer and longer each time. After he took a (HUGE!!!) labor dispute settlement from his employer (Verizon), he retired in his early 50's. His traveling really took off after that. He'd go to PV and stay for a month or two at a stretch. Finally, he decided it was better there than here, and he put his house here on the rental market, and he moved to his condo in PV. After several years, he decided he wasn't coming back. He sold his house here, married a local in PV, and now he's a happy gringo living la vida loca in Mexico. He's a good friend, but I totally hate his guts. LOL! :cheer:

Dave

uop1497

Reaction score
Thank you for more inputs.

I know that North California is a good place to live. However, as we grow older and recent conflict at home make me feel that it is the best to live somewhere else just the two of us. DH is no longer like to live near our grown children. I feel that since I have only been in North California most of my life, it is nice if I can live some where else for a change.

I also have a thought of living in another country because the dollar can stretch further in these Asia countries. If in the future, by the time we are a lot older ( 80 -90 years old), maybe , we can move bank to US for (standard health care) . We can rent a place to live instead of buying a condor. I was told that it is very hard for older people to rent a place because of their age. No one wants to rent their condor / apt to elderly people. I am not sure if what is true.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I know that North California is a good place to live. However, as we grow older and recent conflict at home make me feel that it is the best to live somewhere else just the two of us. DH is no longer like to live near our grown children. I feel that since I have only been in North California most of my life, it is nice if I can live some where else for a change.

I also have a thought of living in another country because the dollar can stretch further in these Asia countries. If in the future, by the time we are a lot older ( 80 -90 years old), maybe , we can move bank to US for (standard health care) . We can rent a place to live instead of buying a condor. I was told that it is very hard for older people to rent a place because of their age. No one wants to rent their condor / apt to elderly people. I am not sure if what is true.

First off, you do not know what age you will need more health care. It could be now, at 70 or at 90. Second- to live at an older age amongst all strangers in a foreign country far away who don't give a hoot about you doesn't sound smart to me. Not to mention physically moving is not so easy when you are very old, especially if you are across the country or in a foreign country across the ocean. Third- I was a landlord once and the elderly couple I rented to were the best tenants I ever had.

If you want a change of pace, take a vacation somewhere for a few weeks. You don't need to move there.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Many of the 1st world Asian countries are more expensive to live in than the US. If you are looking at 3rd world countries, you need to ask yourself if you really want to do so just because cost of living is lower. I have been through most of Asia mainly for business, and other than Singapore where I am from and Hong Kong, I would not want to live in any other Asian countries. Take a cruise or land tour if you want to see that part of the world. Anywhere else other than New York city and and maybe a couple of other cities are cheaper than living in the Bay area. You can achieve lower cost of living and maybe even bettter quality of life just moving out of the Bay area and to a low to no state income tax state.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
First off, you do not know what age you will need more health care. It could be now, at 70 or at 90. Second- to live at an older age amongst all strangers in a foreign country far away who don't give a hoot about you doesn't sound smart to me. Not to mention physically moving is not so easy when you are very old, especially if you are across the country or in a foreign country across the ocean. Third- I was a landlord once and the elderly couple I rented to were the best tenants I ever had.

If you want a change of pace, take a vacation somewhere for a few weeks. You don't need to move there.

If one wants to move overseas they should do it. They can always move back or somewhere else later on. I would suggest people do their own first hand research.