• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best of Maui suggestions

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We're going to Maui in August - got an exchange into a 2BR at Marriott Maui Ocean Club. Below are some activities I would like to do and am looking for recommendations.

Let me know what you consider the best places for:
- Sunset cruise/dinner cruise
- Ziplining
- Sunrise & biking down Haleaka tours
- Luau
- Dining

Thanks in advance

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Here's my suggestions:

- Sunset cruise/dinner cruise ---- Sea Maui (we did the Sunset Cocktail Sail & it was great, also highly recommend the Lanai Snorkel Tour, it was simply amazing)

- Ziplining (my kids did the Maui Zipline Company, I hung out at the Maui Tropical Plantation, they loved it)

- Sunrise & biking down Haleaka tours (we went at sunrise but did not bike down, just went with our car and loved it)

- Luau ---- FEAST AT LELE

- Dining --- Aloha Mixed Plate (best food, great location and inexpensive) I love this place.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Zip lining - we have twice gone to Pi'iholo Ranch. We have done the Treetop Zip. It was fun but the longest Zip was I think only about 600 feet. We have also done the 5 Zip Course that goes back and forth across a Canyon. That last Zip was over 1/2 mile.

Haleakala - You now need a Reservation through the National Parks. I believe you can get the Reservation online. We drive ourselves up for the sunrise. Last trip was in October and we left the Resort between 3 and 3:30 am. We buy a cheap thermos and take coffee, meat slices, cheese slices, and bread. Remember it is cold at 10,000 feet. We take hats, sweater, and light jacket just for this drive. I don't believe they allow commercial organized bikes rides from the top anymore. Last time I heard the bike companies take you to the top for sunrise. Then you take the Van down until you are out of the National Park (about 1/3 of the way down) and start the Bike Ride.

Luau - Old Lahaina Luau.

Dining - Breakfast Kihei Cafe (cash only). Dinner Hali'imaile General Store. Mama's Fish House - Good food, beautiful view, but expensive.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going to Maui in August - got an exchange into a 2BR at Marriott Maui Ocean Club. Below are some activities I would like to do and am looking for recommendations.

- Ziplining
- Luau
- Dining

Thanks in advance

If you have a chance, pick up a copy of "Maui Revealed" for some great ideas on places to visit, dining, and things to do on Maui. Have a great trip! CJ

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
If you have a chance, pick up a copy of "Maui Revealed" for some great ideas on places to visit, dining, and things to do on Maui. Have a great trip! CJ

I already have it! But I'm trying to finish reading "Hamilton" before I start on it. I guess I should start looking NOW. Thanks.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Try searching for "Best of" threads. There are a lot of ideas of what to do.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland

- Ziplining
- Luau
- Dining

Thanks in advance
We had dinner at Kimo s last night to watch the sunset and then hear Willie K. He put on a fabulous show. We try to see him every time we are on Maui!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We had dinner at Kimo s last night to watch the sunset and then hear Willie K. He put on a fabulous show. We try to see him every time we are on Maui!
Love Kimos. I've been going there since the early 1980s, which I think was soon after it opened.

taffy19

Reaction score
Have you been to Duke's or not yet, Tucsonadventurer?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

- Ziplining
- Luau
- Dining

Thanks in advance

Cruises - Check out Trilogy - https://www.sailtrilogy.com - generally a little more expensive than some of the other options, but they offer a high-quality experience
Ziplining - no idea. Never had a desire.
Haleakala - we don't bike, so we've always just driven to the summit for sunrise. A great experience. Must do even if you don't bike down.
Luau - Old Lahaina Luau (advance reservations are a must - for August, do ASAP)
Dining - Kimos, Duke's, Longhi's, Hula Grill, Leilani's, Roy's, and Hali'imaile General Store. Mama's Fish House has a great reputation also, but in nine trips to Maui, we've somehow never gone. I think it's because it's so far over beyond the airport on the way toward Hana, and in the evenings, we tend to gravitate more toward Lahaina and Kaanapali closer to our lodging. We may need to book an extra night in Wailea on a future trip to be closer so we can give it a try.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Cruises - Check out Trilogy - https://www.sailtrilogy.com - generally a little more expensive than some of the other options, but they offer a high-quality experience.
I did Trilogy years ago on the recommendation of a friend of my mother's. It was wonderful. Haven't done it since, but it's a great experience.

Mama's Fish House has a great reputation also, but in nine trips to Maui, we've somehow never gone. I think it's because it's so far over beyond the airport on the way toward Hana, and in the evenings, we tend to gravitate more toward Lahaina and Kaanapali closer to our lodging. We may need to book an extra night in Wailea on a future trip to be closer so we can give it a try.
We have gone to Mama's quite a few times in the past. It is an absolutely beautiful location. If you can get a table with a view to the outside, it's the best. However, the past few times we've gone to Maui we've skipped Mama's. It's gotten SOOOO expensive and in our opinion the quality has dropped a bit. We much prefer Gannon's in Wailea or the Hali'maile General Store (another Gannon's restaurant).

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We went this Jan/Feb, a few adds/points:

Trilogy books pretty quick during peak weeks
We did Capt Steve's zodiac tour: more of an adventure ride than cruise, but fabulous! Not for the 'motion sick' crowd during swells.
We had a bad experience at Longhi's. Kimo's would be 10x times better in my HO. I won't go back to Longhi's. Nuf said.
Maui brewery has happy hour, good bear, decent food and 'logo wear Wednesdays' I figure in just 5 years, my Maui Crazy Shirt will be free if I drink enough beer on Wed's!!
I would really plug a visit to Merriman's for a happy hour cocktail, music and fantastic ocean view. Some frites make it perfect. Best when the whales are performing.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We had a bad experience at Longhi's. Kimo's would be 10x times better in my HO. I won't go back to Longhi's. Nuf said.
I assume you are talking about the Longhi's in Lahaina. We had an equally bad experience at the Longhi's in Wailea. I did a Tripadvisor review. Will never eat there again.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I assume you are talking about the Longhi's in Lahaina. We had an equally bad experience at the Longhi's in Wailea. I did a Tripadvisor review. Will never eat there again.

I've read other negative reviews of Longhi's for years, but for some reason we've always had a great experience there. We've been to the Lahaina location at least once on every one of our nine Maui trips. The service can be a little slow at times, but we actually like that we're not being rushed and can enjoy the experience. We love their Shrimp Longhi and OpakaPaka with grapes dishes. Bought their cookbook and cook those at home from time-to-time. Once we had a table next to Carlos Santana, and the last time we were there, two tables over was John McVie and Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac.

We do love Kimo's as well. It's also a must do place (must get the Hula Pie!), as are Duke's and Hula Grill, which are both part of the same restaurant group as Kimo's (as well as Lelani's).

One place I forgot to mention above is Cheeseburger in Paradise on Front Street in Lahaina. Not a fine dining meal, but a fun place to have a cheeseburger, tropical drink, and watch the sunset. They often have live acoustic music as well. A good change of pace from the more fish/steak types of places.

We've never dined in Wailea or Kihei as we're more Kaanapali/Lahaina people, although we do play golf sometimes at Wailea. I would like to stay in one of the nice hotels in Wailea sometime for a day or two to get a better feel for the Wailea resort. We've never liked the feel of Kihei, however.

I would really plug a visit to Merriman's for a happy hour cocktail, music and fantastic ocean view. Some frites make it perfect. Best when the whales are performing.

We've been to Merriman's on the Big Island and loved it. Where is the Merriman's on Maui? I can't seem to place it. Will need to add that to our rotation on our next visit (hopefully, 2019)

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I've read other negative reviews of Longhi's for years, but for some reason we've always had a great experience there. We've been to the Lahaina location at least once on every one of our nine Maui trips. The service can be a little slow at times, but we actually like that we're not being rushed and can enjoy the experience. We love their Shrimp Longhi and OpakaPaka with grapes dishes.
Our last experience at Longhi's (in Wailea) was just bad beginning to end. We had eaten there before. Not great, but not terrible. But this time........... We were asked if we wanted drinks, then handed an iPad and told to use that to decide what we wanted. No instructions, nothing. Our meals were mediocre, and the pasta one of our party had was drowning in oil. When I asked for a decaf coffee at the end of the meal I was told they didn't have it. What? The dessert menu was unappealing so we walked over to Lappert's, which is in the same shopping center and got ice cream there. It almost redeemed the evening.

We've never dined in Wailea or Kihei as we're more Kaanapali/Lahaina people, although we do play golf sometimes at Wailea. I would like to stay in one of the nice hotels in Wailea sometime for a day or two to get a better feel for the Wailea resort. We've never like the feel of Kihei, however.
Our timeshare is in Kihei so we have a prejudice for that area.

We've been to Merriman's on the Big Island and loved it. Where is the Merriman's on Maui? I can't seem to place it. Will need to add that to our rotation on our next visit (hopefully, 2019)
The Merriman's on your side of island is in Kapalua. There is also a Monkeypod (another Merriman's restaurant) in Wailea.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The Merriman's on your side of island is in Kapalua. There is also a Monkeypod (another Merriman's restaurant) in Wailea.

We'll have to try Merriman's in Kapalua next time. The one on the Big Island is a must do for us every trip. If we add Merriman's to the rotation, I think we're covered for all seven nights the next time we go - Kimo's , Longhi's, Duke's, Hula Grill, Lelani's, Merriman's, and Cheeseburger in Paradise. May have to leave one out or stay longer to sample new places! :whooopie: :ponder:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We'll have to try Merriman's in Kapalua next time. The one on the Big Island is a must do for us every trip. If we add Merriman's to the rotation, I think we're covered for all seven nights the next time we go - Kimo's , Longhi's, Duke's, Hula Grill, Lelani's, Merriman's, and Cheeseburger in Paradise. May have to leave one out or stay longer to sample new places! :whooopie:
Good luck with Longhi's. :rolleyes: They still seem to get good reviews in both locations. Maybe we just had an off night. But, I'm not willing to try it again. So many other restaurants that are so much better, with better atmosphere.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yes, my bad experience was in Lahaina.

And, yes, I'm looking forward to the BI Merriman's. That will make the trip complete. Got to see some Lava moving soon.....

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll have to try Merriman's in Kapalua next time. The one on the Big Island is a must do for us every trip. If we add Merriman's to the rotation, I think we're covered for all seven nights the next time we go - Kimo's , Longhi's, Duke's, Hula Grill, Lelani's, Merriman's, and Cheeseburger in Paradise. May have to leave one out or stay longer to sample new places! :whooopie: :ponder:
I feel your pain! We added Merriman's at Kapalua for Sunday brunch, so we didn't have to worry about fitting in another night for a special dinner, but their dinner menu is fantastic as well! Also, the Plantation House up on the golf course at Kapalua is great for dinner, too! (We actually add 2 extra nights for stay on Maui, just so we can eat at all of our favorite restaurants!! Happy travels to you! CJ

taffy19

Reaction score
We've never dined in Wailea or Kihei as we're more Kaanapali/Lahaina people, although we do play golf sometimes at Wailea. I would like to stay in one of the nice hotels in Wailea sometime for a day or two to get a better feel for the Wailea resort. We've never liked the feel of Kihei, however.

Wailea is more like Ka'anapali. It is beautiful and perfectly landscaped and master planned so not really Hawaiian countryside dotted with funky cities that were allowed years ago but it is getting better in newer neighborhoods because of better city planning. We like Kihei because our first timeshare we bought is there but we also get a better idea how local people live and work in Hawaii and they enjoy the sunsets and come to the beach to watch and play. They really enjoy their dogs and I love watching them right in front of our resort in the park on the beach. It is amazing how well all these dogs behave together but they come every day. If it is windy, we see them flying kites, wind surfing or even sailing but Ka'anapali beach is also fun for people watching.

In Wailea you'll have to stay in a hotel or private condo. They do not allow timeshare resorts unless it will change in the future but I doubt it. They do not want and have the room for heavy traffic.

There are nice restaurants too that Luanne has mentioned already. This was our first time to have lunch at the Hali'imaile General Store in Makawao at her recommendation. It was further out than we like to go plus it was raining but it was a really good lunch so we are glad that we finally made it.

Try the Tai Mai, a Mai Tai recipe by Wendy (bar tender) and she made it herself that day and brought it over to our table. The friendly service made it special too but I am always afraid to recommend restaurants because next time may be different. You can read about the history on their website plus see the menu and pictures. Make sure that they are open because they cater privately too and the same for Gannon's by the same Chef. That restaurant has a beautiful view besides good food and service.

That is a beautiful spot too but we only had a casual dinner and cocktails there on the terrace and not in the restaurant inside. Try to be there for sunset. You need reservations for the restaurant.

We went this Jan/Feb, a few adds/points:

Trilogy books pretty quick during peak weeks
We did Capt Steve's zodiac tour: more of an adventure ride than cruise, but fabulous! Not for the 'motion sick' crowd during swells.
Maui brewery has happy hour, good bear, decent food and 'logo wear Wednesdays' I figure in just 5 years, my Maui Crazy Shirt will be free if I drink enough beer on Wed's!!

Agreed with most that watershed wrote but we haven't been to the Maui brewery yet so need to try that too. Someone mentioned Monkeypod and there is going to be one at the Whaler Village soon. It should be open this summer. Mama's Fish House is also very far away from Ka'anapali (MOC) but we still liked it very much in March but you need reservations in advance and a good hour to get there because the traffic is really bad.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This was our first time to have lunch at the Hali'imaile General Store in Makawao at her recommendation. It was further out than we like to go plus it was raining but it was a really good lunch so we are glad that we finally made it.

Try the Tai Mai, a Mai Tai recipe by Wendy (bar tender) and she made it herself that day and brought it over to our table. The friendly service made it special too but I am always afraid to recommend restaurants because next time may be different. You can read about the history on their website plus see the menu and pictures. Make sure that they are open because they cater privately too and the same for Gannon's by the same Chef. That restaurant has a beautiful view besides good food and service.

My wife and I had lunch at Hali'imaile General Store many years ago and loved it, but we haven't been back since, mainly due to logistics. Its location far from Kaanapali just never seems to work into our schedule, particularly for dinner. If HGVC ever gets their Kihei location off the ground, and if we add a small HGVC points ownership to supplement our Marriott ownership as is the plan, we might need to spend a few days there sometime (or book a hotel for couple days in Wailea) so we can sample some of the dinner spots on that side of the island.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We usualy have lunch at Hali'maile on the way upcountry.

Emmy, that is a great description of Kihei.

Last edited: