• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Excuses for NOT buying a Timeshare?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The last time we did one, our strategy was based on the premise that, no matter what we said, they would find a way to keep us there, and so we simply decided to have the patience of Job, out wait them, and then repair to a nearby watering hole to decompress.

Eventually, they started bidding against themselves with each new offer being the "best they could do." It was almost sad. Once in a while, we'd ask about the annual MF's and thow in a few "Hoo, doggies!" whenever some number was mentioned.

But we've decided not to a sales presentation again, regardless of savings.
I consider my meager vacation time and mental sanity more valuable.

------------------------
BTW, didn't you read this clause in your solicitation:
My use of the phrase 'not interested,' shall be construed to mean,
'I want to buy the crappiest unit you have at whatever price you name.' :p

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Taking Timeshare Tours Just For The Freebies.

Has anyone come up with a certified show-stopper. One line or one answer that will stop them dead cold in their tracks? We need that line!
Click here for the short version of the 1 & only time a timeshare seller cut short the old hard sell because of something we said.

The Chief Of Staff says my loquaciousness is what prolongs the sales presentations we go to. I'm not sure that's the whole story -- once or twice at presentations she came this close to whipping out her checkbook -- but at timeshare sales presentations now I try to maintain a semi-bored expression, to ask no questions, & to respond to direct questions as vaguely as possible while minimally nodding my head in a way that includes a slight rolling motion.

I think what bothers inexperienced timeshare tour takers the most is fear & anxiety -- fear that they'll succumb to the high pressure by signing on the line, because they don't want to create a scene or confront pushy timeshare sellers, specially if the old hard sell features a strong dose of guilt-tripping & psychological manipulation on the part of the sales people.

By now, we are affected by the arm-twisting & truth-stretching & guilt-tripping & psychological manipulation approximately the way ducks are affected by rain showers.

I assume that as some point the timeshare seller will say, "Well, why are you here wasting my time if you're not going to buy?" (or words to that effect), as if I am somehow to blame for not buying their dumb overpriced full-freight timeshare.

To prepare for such ploys, I am all ready to say something along the following lines: Why am I here? You want to know why I'm here? I'm here because your marketing department invited me to attend a no-obligation presentation & receive a nice gift.

If necessary, I can stand up & increase the decibel level slightly while adding, "You got a problem with that?"

Lately I've been asking the headhunters who try to sign us up for timeshare tours whether it's right for us to accept their invitations. "We got all our timeshares for next to nothing on eBay," I say. "We never buy timeshares from timeshare companies, so we probably should not sign up for the presentation just so we can receive a nice gift."

They always say -- always -- that they don't care about that, that they want us to attend the no-obligation presentation & receive a nice gift anyway.

If necessary, I can point that out to any pushy timeshare seller who has the temerity to ask what I'm doing attending the presentation if I'm not going to buy.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about,we just closed the deal on a house/fractional/condo here (where ever tour is) for xx dollars. It's too bad I just missed out on your great opportunity to save some money.

Point out the dollar value. Your week times 50 weeks is worth $xx. Would you personally pay $xx for one week here?" "Does that look like good value to you?"

I milked the little kid tactic for as long as possible. "I'll have to go change the little one's diapers now, unless you want to." "Here come the kids back from your play area, wonder what sticky goo they're covered in now. Soon it'll be all over your desk/papers."

Sometimes we play good cop/bad cop. "I'd love to get this deal, but my wife insists we vet this over the next few days before we sign". For some reason, I'm always the bad guy.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just how much of a discount are you receiving on the price of the week's vacation?

Have you checked the rental prices listed by timeshare owners in the TUG Marketplace, and/or www.redweek.com and/or
www.myresortnetwork.com

You may be able to get the same or even better deal by renting directly from an owner and skip all the drama of a presentation.

With a few exceptions (Pueblo Bonito and the Royal Resorts), Mexico timeshare presentations are usually torturous and looong.

The Mexican government agency that assists people in rescinding a purchase contract is Profeco.
Here's a link to their website:
http://www.profeco.gob.mx/revista/publicaciones/otas_pub_06/timeshares_abr06.pdf

You might be better off not telling the salesperson right off the bat that you have no intention of purchasing a timeshare, that you just came to receive the discounter rate. Otherwise he/she may try to scare you into thinking that you cannot have the rate, or even stay there, because you are not complying with the conditions you agreed upon.

My advice is to tell the salesperson that you are very tired from the long trip getting there. Yawn alot or even pretend to "nod off". Show no emotion. Be very bland and answer "yes" or "no" without any elaboration. Keep asking what the price is for a one bedroom unit and act shocked when he finally tells you. Say you would never pay that much and then be saddled with an on-going annual maintenance fee obligation. You could add that you need to spend a week at the resort, experience the amenities, restaurants, beach, etc...to determine if it is a place you would like to come to on a regular basis.

They often times give you some phony information about how you can rent your week at an exorbitant price and thus make a nice profit each year. They may claim there is a company that will do this for you and that they will give you the phone number, etc...This is a huge scam. If they try to "go there", they are likely violating the law. At this, or any other point, you can pull out the information about Profeco (print it from their website, and bring it with you, and keep it hidden until the time is right).

Tell the salesperson that your U.S. attorney gave it to you and that you will be visiting the Profeco Office to check out the reputation and complaint history, if any, of the timeshare company before you would ever consider purchasing, or signing anything.

Good luck! Hope you make it home in time for Thanksgiving dinner :hysterical:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not make any excuses, they will have an answer for every excuse you make. Just tell them the truth, you will not be buying from them. Period. You are just there to learn about the program and you only have 90 min (or whatever you agreed to).

H

This is the right answer. Do not pretend anything. Just tell them you are there for the free gift. They have you for 90 minutes. At the end of ninety minutes, stand up and no matter where they are at in their Presentation, ask them where you can pick up your free gift. If they give you any flack for wasting their time, get up and stand next to the guests at the table next to you and have them listen to what this guy has to say. No matter what they do, do not let it bother you. Laugh at any threats.

Now that we have that out of the way, you should cancel your trip and take a legit trip.

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score

I can understand if you're getting a reduced week somewhere, but frankly we don't do the tours for the $100 or whatever. Just too darn much work for too little reward.

I'm with you! $100 is so little when you consider that you would have essentially wasted 1/7 of your vacation and the possible added stress for all the remaining days.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We will give the presenters a fair chance to make their case, but we are 99% certain we are just not interested.

There is your problem and the problem for the salesman

An old car salesman told me once that if they come onto your lot they want to buy...they may not know it yet, and it may not be today...but they will buy one day.

I am probably the least pushy real estate salesman in Florida but when a potential customer comes into my office and tells me that they are interested, I am going to try to satisfy that interest.

The biggest problem in my business is trying to decide which ones of folks like you that say that they are interested; are, and which ones are not...I qualify my prospects for money and I qualify for interest.

You say that you told me you are not interested?....No you didnt. You told me that you have a 1% interest. Until you can tell that salesman that you have no interest he is still working

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to a bunch of presentations if we have a morning free.. I don't think we have ever got caught in a high pressure sales situation.. usually out of there right after the group presentation.. I think maybe it's because the hubby hates these and I drag him there and he shows his dismay the whole time... last time Wyndham didn't even present us with a contract.. I also tell them sorry we are going to be wasting your time but the parking pass ladies kept throwing things at us.. :rofl:

deh333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to 2 presentations and will not go again. Not worth the money. My best excuse was at a Marriott in HH. We were there in August. A bunch of free nights at Grand Ocean (!!). I told the salesperson that we can only travel in August (work schedules and school), and that the ocean water was just too warm for me to want to ever come back in August. I like to be refreshed when I hop in the ocean. Well, that was the end of that presentation :p

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do your homework in advance. Have a list comparing MFs and Cost of Rentals at the chains other Resorts. Then ask "Why should I spend $xx,xxx for the privilege of not renting"?

George

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will give the presenters a fair chance to make their case, but we are 99% certain we are just not interested.
UPDATE: I misssed the fact that this is a Mexico timeshare. I would NEVER do a timeshare presentation outside of the US. We have good consumer protections here that aren't present in other parts of the world.

Going in, make sure you understand that there is a HUGE difference between:

1) Buying a timeshare, and

2) Buying a timeshare from a developer.

Owning a timeshare can be a tremendous value. Buying that timeshare from a developer is almost never a good deal.

Another thing to keep in mind (just in case they do talk you into it) is that (at least for sales here in the US) you have a right to rescind (i.e. cancel) the sale. You typically have about a week, but it varies from state to state. They are required to give you instructions on how to cancel in the paperwork.

Now with that said, let me say that owning a timeshare can be a good deal if:

1) You have sufficient finances to pay cash for the upfront costs and the ongoing (and rising) maintenance fees.
2) You have sufficient flexibility and/or advance planning ability and can take a full week (or more) of vacation every year.
3) You have done sufficient research. I would suggest spending several weeks (or even months) here on TUG reading. Every lesson you can learn from reading rather than making a mistake yourself will save you a fortune. I would even suggest that you take a couple timeshare vacations RENTING from an owner. Figure out what you like and don't like before you make such a big commitment.

If you have a larger family (3 or more kids), a timeshare can be an incredible way to travel. It's far more spacious and more affordable than hotels.

The timeshare salesmen are VERY good at what they do. They know every objection you could possibly have, and they have an answer. They know how to figure out what's important to you, and use it against you. They will tell you so many lies that you'll leave the presentation with misconceptions that will have to be unlearned. They'll play games with numbers. They'll wear you down until you're ready to do anything to end it.

No matter what the salesman tells you, the benefits of buying from the developer instead of buying resale is almost never worth paying 10-100 times as much. Buying from the developer will usually cost $10k-$50k, depending on the resort, system, unit and season. Buying resale can be as little as $1, and even the very best units and seasons are seldom over $1k-$5k. The salesmen will spout tons of benefits that they claim you don't get buying resale. Much of that will be lies. The rest will not be worth anywhere near as much as they make it out to be.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How about "no, thanks."

Best response. Just say it over and over. Never give an explanation. There is no comeback to this line.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
The one problem with "we can't afford this" is that they surely will have some sort of 40-year finance plan that will allow you to pay $100 per month for the next 40 years. They have answers for excuse you can come up with. The bottom line is that unless they can sell you the timeshare for $1 with the next year's MF all paid, you can do better on your own. If they tell you that you won't get their "VIP Program" if you buy resale, ask yourself if that VIP program is worth $25,000. Also, keep asking them about Profeco.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best response. Just say it over and over. Never give an explanation. There is no comeback to this line.

You must say it to the person inviting you to the presentation, not to the one giving the presentation

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I've gone to a number of presentations tied to vacation deals from the hotel TS companies and for the gifts when the amount offered is worth my time. (And, yes, I can be bought for $100 or more.) I'm almost always out in an hour or so, never longer than 90 minutes.

However, like Michael, I'd never take a vacation deal or go to a presentation in another country. Read too many horror stories about them.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gone to a number of presentations tied to vacation deals from the hotel TS companies and for the gifts when the amount offered is worth my time. (And, yes, I can be bought for $100 or more.) I'm almost always out in an hour or so, never longer than 90 minutes.

However, like Michael, I'd never take a vacation deal or go to a presentation in another country. Read too many horror stories about them.

Well, I am from another country :eek: and I've been to several presentations in several foreign countries, including the USA and Mexico. Basically they are all the same. I guess, sales men are universal. :)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What would happen if you brought a plastic water pistol and after their time was up, you sprayed whatever papers were laying on the table, saying "This is what I think." -- my version of a "Jack Handy" quote

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I am from another country :eek: and I've been to several presentations in several foreign countries, including the USA and Mexico. Basically they are all the same. I guess, sales men are universal. :)
I'm sure the presentations and salesmen are similar, but the consumer protections are much stronger here in the US than in most other countries.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
My main concern is the one week allegedly reduced price vacation accommodations, already paid for by credit card, tied in with attending the presentation. Since this person has never attended a high pressure presentation before, I'd hate to see him feel threatened with the loss of his accommodations, or a great increase in the price of it, as a tactic to get his signature on a purchase contract. These "guys" are masters at providing false information, brow-beating their potential victims, becoming verbally abusive, running guilt trips, etc... I wouldn't put it past them to try to lead the "victim" to believe that he cannot stay in the reserved unit, nor receive a refund of the price already paid, unless they agree to make a purchase, or at least remain with the salesperson listening to his spiel for hours and hours.

If the length of the required presentation is clearly stated in the advance paperwork, then just make sure to make the salesperson aware that you will not be willing to stay one minute longer. But I fear there is no time frame specified. And each time the customer says no and is ready to leave, they may try to con him into believing that he is not upholding the terms of the discount program and will therefore not be getting his accommodations at the bargain price, or at all! They will say and do anything to wear him down to get a sale.

If the accommodations were not a written part this deal, and this was not Mexico, and this person was as experienced as most TUG members, then the other suggestions by TUG members would suffice. But I'm very concerned about the person being intimidated into thinking he will not be allowed to stay in the promised unit or will have to pay much more for it, That is why it is ESSENTIAL that he makes it known early on that he will not be making any decisions, nor sign any papers, until he spends a week at the resort to see how he likes it. And in the unlikely event that he is considering a purchase, he would first visit the Profeco Office to discuss the pros and cons of ownership, and to verify any claims made by the sales person. Once Profeco is mentioned, it will hopefully cut out much of the lies and browbeating and bull___.

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the presentations and salesmen are similar, but the consumer protections are much stronger here in the US than in most other countries.

Michael, you're right but I was a bit teasing because I am from what a poster called a 'foreign' country. :) In the UK and Europe are well protected by consumer laws and rights as well. I wouldn't know the situation in Mexico but we went to a presentation once which was very innocent.

My main concern is the one week allegedly reduced price vacation accommodations, already paid for by credit card, tied in with attending the presentation. Since this person has never attended a high pressure presentation before, I'd hate to see him feel threatened with the loss of his accommodations, or a great increase in the price of it, as a tactic to get his signature on a purchase contract.
If the accommodations were not a written part this deal, and this was not Mexico, and this person was as experienced as most TUG members, then the other suggestions by TUG members would suffice. But I'm very concerned about the person being intimidated into thinking he will not be allowed to stay in the promised unit or will have to pay much more for it,

Jennie, I've thought it over but I'm afraid you're right. There's no such thing as a free lunch. They will send their premier sales man who will play every trick in the book. He won't take no for an answer. It will be a lesson in assertiveness for these customers. I would advice to plan the presentation as late as possible in this week cause the OP might have to move to another location when he is not buying. :(

Last edited:

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing is that the resort is likely to try and schedule the presentation as early in the week as possible. The reason being that people will often sign the paperwork and put it away until they get home and decide to review the paperwork to see exactly what they bought. At that point it's too late to recind.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We quit going to presentations years ago since the misery is not worth $100 to us. I was at Wyndham Panama City on labor day this year and a tropical storm with high winds and rain was making any outdoor activity impossible, so we let them talk us into going to another presentation for $100. I told my wife maybe it won't be too bad and we really don't have anything else to do.

It went fine for about an hour as I explained I had more weeks than I could use purchased for very cheap prices on e-bay. Nice salesman tried everything and I countered him because I had to kill 90 minutes. They said wouldn't you like to stay in Wyndham gold crown resorts and I said I am staying here on an exchange. They said wouldn't you like to travel to other places than where you own and I explained that I either exchange for them or else I rent out my weeks and use the money to rent from other owners. I said I can buy all the Wyndham points I want on e-bay for under $100. They said you will never be VIP, I said I can live without that. They said you will own resale points which do not work the same as developer sold points. I said so if I buy from you what I will have to sell will be non developer points and worth maybe $1 on e-bay? Why would I pay $1000's for something worth less than a dollar when I leave.

At one hour they got the closer and I thought I was on my way to gifting. I said I have heard the sales pitch, tell me the price and I will tell you yes or no. He dodged that and I again said tell me the price. He started with the high priced VIP pkge. I found the price and said no thanks. He tried again and I said not a chance. He showed the lesser pkge, I said no. He started the BS and I said not interested. Then it turned bad. He said I don't like to judge people. I don't look down on people who don't make enough money to afford the nicer things in life. Some people are comfortable staying in lesser accomodations. I got mad enough to choke him. I said you have no idea what our income is since it never came up. I stood up and loudly said I can afford this but why would I spend 1000's on something I can buy for $1 on e-bay? As far as staying in nice places I used one half of my deposited week to stay in a 2 bed deluxe here, so my week must be worth 2 times what your week is worth and I bought it for a couple of hundred dollars. I said this was a civil professional sales discussion until I said no and you had to start with thinly veiled insults. He was apologizing saying I misunderstood him and I said I understood exactly what you were saying. His boss came over and took one look at me and how mad I was and said get him out of here.

I went to gifting mad, I went back to the room mad, and once again I would rather not have gone through that misery for $100. Next time I will watch the rain from my balcony or take a nap rather than let myself get aggravated on vacation for $100. It just isn't worth it IMO.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The one problem with "we can't afford this" is that they surely will have some sort of 40-year finance plan that will allow you to pay $100 per month for the next 40 years..

To rebut that, say "We will apply at our bank for a mortgage with the timeshare as collateral."

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Just say aloud to your spouse, "I think I saw these a lot cheaper on eBay." Then, "Let's look when we get back to the room. We have internet, so we can do some research ourselves and make an informed decision in a few days."

Tombo, you are my hero! Where have you been, pal? I have missed your humor.
I stood up and loudly said I can afford this but why would I spend 1000's on something I can buy for $1 on e-bay?

Last edited:

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were discussing colleges that were worth considering on another thread and numerous people stated their bigotted opinions that southern college degrees were not respected outside of the south and told others not to consider sending their children to ANY SEC school. I almost quit TUG. I definetelly cut back on posts and reading. It is very sad that in 2011 we are still viewed as uneducated, racist, unemployed, slackers, etc by many parts of the country and that it is OK to espouse those negative views without recrimination. If I lumped all northerners into one group based on the Jersey Shore TV series I would be as wrong as those who base all southern perceptions on Boss Hog from the Dukes Of Hazzard.

If I went to a predominatelly black college no one would dare say those degrees are not respected and if some did others would be quick to admonish the posters and the posts might even get removed by a moderator, however it is still OK to malign the south, it's institutions, and it's residents. If I was black and through the posts I realized that many people here did not respect me simply because I had a degree from a black college I would not remain an active member. Why should I remain active on a forum when the same type of thoughts are prevalently posted about my college, my degree, and my area of the country with virtually nobody but myself being offended? The worst thing is that the people from the most "prestigious" schools were the most arrogant and offensive. Sorry to get off topic but you asked where I have been and that is my answer.

Got to run, my moonshine still is working overtime getting ready for my Saturday night sales of white lightning to Mrs Fife's 3rd grade class reunion tonight. The finest most educated members of my community will all be there, well except for those that are pregnant or in jail.......

Last edited: