*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Bed bugs at Bonnet Creek!!

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by saf512, Jan 18, 2011.

1. saf512

saf512 TUG Member

Has anyone heard of Bonnet Creek having a problem with bed bugs? The last review on Tripadvisor suggests that the poster has been a Wyndham owner since 1996 and during their stay (Saturday after Thanksgiving 2010), they found bed bugs & blood on the sheets in tower 5, unit 1190. Has anyone else had or heard of a problem?
    I'm not sure I put too much weight in the review but I am returning to BC shortly...
    Sandra

2. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

Bedbugs can be anywhere that travelers sleep. But, chances are very good they are not in the room you occupy. What's more, by the time that review was posted, that room has surely been fumigated to within an inch of its life.

If you are concerned, check for them before unpacking, and ask to be moved if you find any evidence. I generally don't even bother, but probably should. I spend a *lot* of nights in hotel rooms and timeshares, for both business and pleasure, and have yet to encounter them.

3. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    Chances are they might be there. This is not the first TS resort that I have heard has bedbugs. And I usually talk to the resort managers where the method used to exterminate is heat ... the unit is heated to 200 degrees and the cost is $1500. And replacing the mattresses (now being covered in protective shields). The infestation was caught in those units (yes, multiple units) by housekeeping.

Better to check the bedding immediately than to find out a week after you return home.

4. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Thanks for reminding me to check. Sometimes I forget the steps to take before bringing in the luggage, and it's really important to look at sheets, floor, floorboards, and even behind the headboard. :eek:

5. brother coony

brother coony TUG Member

Also remember to check your luggage, as alot of times they are on or in your luggage (not from your home) but if you fly, your luggage is place in the cargo hole of the plane with a lot of luggage from all over, and they do crawl in the dark,
    even taxis trunks, good news is its now winter,and most places are freezing this year,and bed bugs don't survive freezing temp.

6. New2time

New2time TUG Member

How big are the bugs? What do they look like? shudder

7. happybaby

happybaby TUG Member

bed bug BC and OLCC

There was just another review of trip advisor about the bed bugs at Bonnet Creek. It didn't mention which tower but said the staff didn't seem concerned or surprised. They were moved to a different room.

We are staying there in May!!!

I did check and saw that BC is on the Bed Bug registry and so is OLCC where we are also staying.

Has anybody encountered any problems at either resort?

8. chriskre

chriskre TUG Member

Just got back from Tower 6, 17th floor. No buggies. :eek:

9. timeos2

timeos2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Lifetime Member

Unfortunately bed bugs ave no brand loyalty. It doesn't matter if it's Marriott, DVC or Magic Tree, new or old - they can get in. You have to be careful and take the suggested precautions. No one can guarantee that a unit is clear - but most will do all they can to avoid the problem.

It is one of those things everyone has to deal with.

10. WeLovetoTravel

WeLovetoTravel TUG Member

Just got back. No bugs in tower 6 18th floor either.
    -Deb

11. lisa1001

lisa1001 TUG Member

The staff did show concern - they moved them to a different room. I can't imagine anyone in the hospitality industry being surprised with bed bugs these days as they are appearing in many hotels. My daughter took home bed bugs from the Marriott Marquis in NYC.

Unfortunately, the only way to 100% insure that you don't bring bed bugs home with you, is to simply not travel.

12. AwayWeGo

AwayWeGo TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Dealing With Bedbugs -- How Soon We Forget.

In the old days (i.e., early & mid-20th century), hotels washed linens in scalding hot water as a way of dealing with bedbugs.

That was so successful that the bedbug scourge pretty much went away.

Then hotel & resort laundries started washing stuff in cold water, mainly to save energy -- forgetting or not realizing that the reason for using hot water was bedbug control.

Before long, the predictable happened -- the bedbugs started a comeback.

Everything old is new again.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA. ​

13. JPD

JPD TUG Member

Can someone tell what the bed bug registry is, and is there a web site for it. I will staying at olcc in apr. thanks

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  14. happybaby

happybaby TUG Member

JPD: google bed bug registry and enter the city , hotel etc.