• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bay Club Question

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
One major difference between Kohala and BayClub is BC has open exterior walkways connecting the rooms. Kohala and Kingsland have long interior hallways. BC units seem more separated.

Kohala Suites and Phase one of Kings Land have the exterior walk ways with doors. Phase Two and Phase three at Kings Land have the central entrance with interior halls leading to the unit.

I have a friend that thought the exterior walkways made phase one of KL look like a motel. For Hawaii, i personally prefer the open walkways, but doubt that would play a major role in the decision on where to stay.

bagabonz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Club Waikoloa
I stand corrected on both. The Bay Club large units and lanai are why I prefer and will only book there in the future.

bevans

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hgvc Flamingo, hgvc Paradise
I love staying at the Bay Club as my wife and I spend our days at the beach and use the pool to get the salt off at the end of the day. We have stayed at all three resorts and stay only at Kingsland when our family is with us. There is a reason that the Bay Club units sell for next to nothing and that is the maintenance fees. A 7000 unit at the Bay Club is about $500 more per year than our Nevada timeshares so if you plan on being an owner for a while you are better off paying more for the Flamingo, Paradise or the Strip. It is clear that many buyers know this as these three resorts get a lot of action when they come for sale and the Hawaii ones sit except for rare instances. Curt

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I stand corrected on both. The Bay Club large units and lanai are why I prefer and will only book there in the future.

The bay club definitely has the biggest units and those lanai's are just amazing. I really enjoy the pool and the vibe at the bar at Kings Land, but you can't beat the actual units at Bay Club.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What's he thoughts on Kohala?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kohala Suites is a nice resort. You will be able to use the two Bay Club Pools and the larger pool at the Kohala Club House. The Kohala pool has a small water slide now. Guests at Kohala can also use the extensive pools and slides at the Big Hilton Hotel. If you or kids are into pools, i think that would be the big selling point for Kohala over Bay Club. I believe Kohala is only two bedroom suites. The rooms and Lanai are bigger than Kings Land, but smaller than Bay Club.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Kohala Suites is a nice resort. You will be able to use the two Bay Club Pools and the larger pool at the Kohala Club House. The Kohala pool has a small water slide now. Guests at Kohala can also use the extensive pools and slides at the Big Hilton Hotel. If you or kids are into pools, i think that would be the big selling point for Kohala over Bay Club. I believe Kohala is only two bedroom suites. The rooms and Lanai are bigger than Kings Land, but smaller than Bay Club.

I think Kingsland phase 1 units are bigger than Kohala, my ranking based solely on size would be:
1-BC
2-KL phase 1
3-Kohala
4-KL phase 2/3.

Note that KL phase 3 is a mix of phase 1 and 2 style units, so some may be bigger.

I dont like the kitchen/dining layout at Kohala, the table is against an angled wall and the kitchen is off to the side. KL phase 1 kitchen/dining is more open concept and the table is bigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think Kingsland phase 1 units are bigger than Kohala, my ranking based solely on size would be:
1-BC
2-KL phase 1
3-Kohala
4-KL phase 2/3.

Note that KL phase 3 is a mix of phase 1 and 2 style units, so some may be bigger.

I dont like the kitchen/dining layout at Kohala, the table is against an angled wall and the kitchen is off to the side. KL phase 1 kitchen/dining is more open concept and the table is bigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow you are correct, I just checked the square footage in the mobile app, and the 2BR phase 1 system unit is 1269 square feet, vs. 1150 for Kohala... i agree the dining layout at Kohala is kind of odd.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
New to the site and just started exploring HGVC.... From what I gather Bay Club is part of the network, yet does not fall under the ROFR? MF don't look crazy high here, so why wouldn't this be a go to for someone?

Searching Various places and looks like there are a number that are being offered far below the $1 / point reference. Is Redweek reputable?

I am leaning towards an annual, 7,000 point plan if that helps drive a direction.

Thanks for the info.
Still here just trying to soak it all in. And searching places to buy. Pretty set on 7,000 platinum points and looking either Bay Club or Flamingo for low buy in. Just trying to find a deal now.
A Gold Season 1 Bedroom Premier KL phase 1/3 (8700 points) MFs should be competitive with a Platinum Season 2 Bedroom Plus Bay Club (8,400 points), if you can find one equivalently priced, given you are paying the 1 bedroom vs 2 bedroom MFs.
I think deal on points that works for me. I doubt that in the next 5-7 years we will have or want a "home" resort as we like trying and go new places. But we may fall in love with one place along the way and want to switch so the low intro and higher MF may be the right way for us I think. Thoughts?
Since home resort can only be booked for exact season and room you own, it's not that useful in HGVC since you often time want to visit in a different season or want/need a different room/view to accommodate more/less people or book fewer points. So, even if you are in love with a resort, owning there doesn't necessary help you unless you always need the same season/room type. By the same token, since home resort advantage is so specific, most owners don't take advantage of it, further diminishing the need for it, since most people are in the same boat booking at 9 months whether they own at a resort or not. As a result, I would own where the buy-in price and MFs are lowest. I would look for some premium tier resorts (e.g. KL 1/3) where the points are higher for the same MFs (e.g. the gold 1 bdrm premier example above).
It actually has 2 swimming pools. One at the club house (2nd picture below) and one between the villas grouping of units and building 9 (pictured below). They are just pools, nothing fancy or resort style.

It is just that the pools at KL are more elaborate. The are many pools with some small slides at the HWL complex.

03.jpg

HG_bcpool12_25_675x359_FitToBoxSmallDimension_LowerCenter.jpg

Where as this is Kings' Land Club House Pools

9ac9e94c_z.jpg

And behind the waterfall pool are more pools...

kings-land-by-hilton.jpg

Better appreciation with an aerial view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.9258575,-155.86645,160m/data=!3m1!1e3

And KL also has additional smaller pools, I think it is 2 (for sure but maybe 3 since the new phase is completed) extra pools spread thought the complex.
We love KL for the pools. We stayed at BC once by ourselves, but with kids the KL and/or HWV pools are a must IMO. KL or HWV access can be bought if you stay at BC, but still a consideration on where to stay (not necessarily where to buy).

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
Kohala does not have interior hallways, entry is outside like Bay Club. Major difference is room and lanai are smaller at Kohala - Bay Club rooms and lanai are huge. If you stay at Bay Club you can use the Kohala pool but the BC ones are just as nice and the bar/grill at the BC pool is our favorite spot to hang out. Wait - on second thought the BC pools suck, you don't want to go there. Spend your time at KL and the hotel ;P)