• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bay Club Question

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
So, for us, Flamingo made more sense than Bay Club, even with a good bit of our use at Bay Club.

Cheers.

I would opt for a 7K at BC not a 4.8K. Why, my extra 2200 points is only $212 more, as my 7K MFs are $1,427, Getting a B floorplan instead of an A floor plan gets you the same amount of points but for a cheaper MF.

Vegas is still better for MFs, especially if you can pick a a cheap flamingo week. Even Seaworld, but often other cheaper weeks are significantly higher to buy. But a few people have gotten BC for a song so it is a consideration worth looking at.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would opt for a 7K at BC not a 4.8K. Why, my extra 2200 points is only $212 more, as my 7K MFs are $1,427, Getting a B floorplan instead of an A floor plan gets you the same amount of points but for a cheaper MF.

Vegas is still better for MFs, especially if you can pick a a cheap flamingo week. Even Seaworld, but often other cheaper weeks are significantly higher to buy. But a few people have gotten BC for a song so it is a consideration worth looking at.

Oh, I would as well. I was just using the 4800 to compare with the 5K we got in Vegas (which was a bad move, in the end, as we have two 5Ks- with two sets of MFs- instead of one 7K where we'd probably be close to even on the purchase price difference...but that's another story :))

Cheers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
5K we got in Vegas (which was a bad move, in the end, as we have two 5Ks)
Cheers.

Yes, buying Platinum is always better. Cheaper MF/point.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I think the OP bailed a long time ago.

goaline3

Reaction score
Still here just trying to soak it all in. And searching places to buy. Pretty set on 7,000 platinum points and looking either Bay Club or Flamingo for low buy in. Just trying to find a deal now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Still here just trying to soak it all in. And searching places to buy. Pretty set on 7,000 platinum points and looking either Bay Club or Flamingo for low buy in. Just trying to find a deal now.

Great, take your time and do your research. Are you looking to regularly stay at either Bay Club or Flamingo or just looking for a deal on points that works for you?

goaline3

Reaction score
I think deal on points that works for me. I doubt that in the next 5-7 years we will have or want a "home" resort as we like trying and go new places. But we may fall in love with one place along the way and want to switch so the low intro and higher MF may be the right way for us I think. Thoughts?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I may add a smaller contract in the even years if I see something good come up. (I am sure that I am probably going about this bass-ackwards, lol). But I can't ever resist a good unit with free usage, especially if it makes my buy-in zero.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree on the cash flow issue but, if cash flow is not a factor, I think that going by MFs can still make sense. Using current numbers, I find:

Bay Club MFs $1215 for 4800 points. For Flamingo (where we own): $873 for 5000 points (I have excluded the HGVC Dues as we already pay them for W. 57th, but I realize that that will not apply to everyone). This leaves $342 extra in MFs for Bay Club.

I saw a figure here of $899 for Bay Club. We got Flamingo for $2750. That leaves 5.4 years for breakeven. I guess one needs to add the HGVC "initiation" fee to Flamingo, so that adds another couple of years.

So, for us, Flamingo made more sense than Bay Club, even with a good bit of our use at Bay Club.

Cheers.
No matter what I think everyone can agree that by buying resale, whether bay club, flamingo, or any other HGVC resort, the savings are exponential compared to retail buyers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
No matter what I think everyone can agree that by buying resale, whether bay club, flamingo, or any other HGVC resort, the savings are exponential compared to retail buyers.

I'd be hard-pressed to come with any scenario where buying from the developer could be better. I guess one could construct a case where they offered so many developer bonus points that, if one rented them out (in contravention of club rules), they could more than make up the difference. But that's pretty contrived and unrealistic.

It's interesting (maybe :)) to note that this may not always be the case with DVC purchases. In that case, resale prices have gone up in past years. For example, we could probably make about 30% profit on a couple of 2008 resale purchases. In this case, the developer/resale delta is less and, for low-point contracts, some of the broker fees avoided by buying direct can minimize the difference further. Add to that that there are (questionable, IMO, but important to some) perk differences for direct versus resale, it can actually make sense there in some cases.

HGVC? Not so much :)

Cheers.

ontilt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Valdoro x2
Worldmark
New to the site and just started exploring HGVC.... From what I gather Bay Club is part of the network, yet does not fall under the ROFR? MF don't look crazy high here, so why wouldn't this be a go to for someone?

Searching Various places and looks like there are a number that are being offered far below the $1 / point reference. Is Redweek reputable?

I am leaning towards an annual, 7,000 point plan if that helps drive a direction.

Thanks for the info.

I own at Bay Club with a villa unit and am happy with the purchase. My MF is $1674 for 8400 points - on the high side, but I use those points pretty fully across properties. Purchased the contract for $5500, so low entry point. BC units are huge comparatively and that's why I purchased. As others have mentioned you can always go to the Hilton if you want the lagoon, and A Bay is super close for a nice beach, so I don't think you go wrong if you like the Big Island and want to stay there regularly. I've been very pleased with the ownership. Good luck!

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the penthouse unit and the normal unit? Thank you!

Best,

Greg

Sorry about the delay, This has been a very busy weekend for me.

The A Penthouse is the larger one of the two types of 2 BRs. It also has the larger patio (Lanai, porch, ect. ;)) Not to be confused with the 2 bedroom 2.5 bath 8400 point Villa two story units. The A penthouses are in the 3 story buildings with the elevators.

The layout is the same as the lower units, but no noise of people walking over your head. Also the lanai is partially open to the sun, unlike the lower units which have the floor of the unit's above lanai.

If you pick the right ones, there is a sliver view of the ocean in the distance through the palm trees.

jeepinjoel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings' Land, a Hilton Grand Vacation Club
The Bay Club at Waikoloa
New to the site and just started exploring HGVC.... From what I gather Bay Club is part of the network, yet does not fall under the ROFR? MF don't look crazy high here, so why wouldn't this be a go to for someone?

Searching Various places and looks like there are a number that are being offered far below the $1 / point reference. Is Redweek reputable?

I am leaning towards an annual, 7,000 point plan if that helps drive a direction.

Thanks for the info.

Hello goaline3, I want to add my 2 cents, hopefully it will help. You have a LOT of great info here, bottom line is what are you comfortable with? Some people buy anyplace they can - getting the most points for the lowest money and maintenance fees.
Some people like the knowledge of being able to book a particular resort 12 months out... 3 months before most people. Book it and forget.

Our first purchase was "before TUG" and we paid retail. ouch. But I love the concept of timeshare so we've been looking at gathering more points.
I had two offers get bought up by HGVC and the Right of First Refusal clause, but finally just scored two!
7,000 points, every year at Bay Club, and
7,200 points, every year at Kings' Land.
Yes, maintenance fees are higher than Vegas... but for my wife and I, the peace of mind to book further out will (hopefully) be worth it.
All of the offers I put in were found in the TUG Classifieds, and because I'm not very savvy with this timeshare stuff, I only made contact with ads that were through agencies.

It worked for us and we're happy with the results, but there are many right ways.

best of luck, and cheers!

bagabonz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Club Waikoloa
I bought both of our Bay Club deeds on ebay. The first was for 7000 even year points in 2011 and last year I bought 4800 odd year points. I paid all in around 1000 including closing fees for the even year purchase. Had to pay the HGVC entry fee on top of that. The odd year title I bought last December for $1 on ebay. The seller paid all the closing costs and title fees. Just returned from 9 days on the Big Island. We have stayed at the Bay Club at least 6 times using our first unit points and one time with open season. We Were always curious about Kings Land so this time we split it up and stayed the last three days at Kings Land. We had a good time and have no complaints but the units are so much smaller and the ambience more like a hotel stay than a condo. In the future we will use our points at the BC and spend more time at the KL pools. We only used 3800 points for the 9 days and are going to rescue the remainder and take the whole family over next year to a two bedroom unit at the BC.
Theres a lot of great deals on Bay Club units on ebay all the time.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Since they completed an extensive remodel at BC a couple of years ago, I think it is one of the nicest, best value resorts anywhere!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since they completed an extensive remodel at BC a couple of years ago, I think it is one of the nicest, best value resorts anywhere!

i would agree. I think they are often viewed negatively because they are listed as affiliates, and those without understanding the uniqueness of the BC Affiliate, just lump them in with the rest. And Secondly I think a lot of people place to much value on the access to the HWV pools complex. I actually enjoy the KL pool better, and as Elite I have access to that while staying at the much larger rooms of the BC.

I am usually at the beach, exploring or SCUBA diving and only spend a bit of time of the pool at the end of the day or early evening at most. I don't go to Hawaii to stay at the pool.

goaline3

Reaction score
So Bay Club has a pool right? Not being elite I would have to pay for pool at KL or the other HGVC property? Likely won't spend a lot of time at the pools but with 3 little kids They love pool time.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So Bay Club has a pool right? Not being elite I would have to pay for pool at KL or the other HGVC property? Likely won't spend a lot of time at the pools but with 3 little kids They love pool time.

It actually has 2 swimming pools. One at the club house (2nd picture below) and one between the villas grouping of units and building 9 (pictured below). They are just pools, nothing fancy or resort style.

It is just that the pools at KL are more elaborate. The are many pools with some small slides at the HWL complex.

03.jpg

HG_bcpool12_25_675x359_FitToBoxSmallDimension_LowerCenter.jpg

Where as this is Kings' Land Club House Pools

9ac9e94c_z.jpg

And behind the waterfall pool are more pools...

kings-land-by-hilton.jpg

Better appreciation with an aerial view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.9258575,-155.86645,160m/data=!3m1!1e3

And KL also has additional smaller pools, I think it is 2 (for sure but maybe 3 since the new phase is completed) extra pools spread thought the complex.

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a penthouse (x2) and prefer the penthouse. However, my kids love the first floor because they can run in and out and play. And truthfully, it is a lot more convenient for me. I don't have to accompany them outside. I can see and hear them when they play on the grassy area when I'm inside the unit.

goaline3

Reaction score
What's he thoughts on Kohala?

bagabonz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Club Waikoloa
One major difference between Kohala and BayClub is BC has open exterior walkways connecting the rooms. Kohala and Kingsland have long interior hallways. BC units seem more separated. The lanais are much bigger and still feel private.

Also BayClub has three pools counting the Kohala suite pool. You can move freely between any of them.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One major difference between Kohala and BayClub is BC has open exterior walkways connecting the rooms. Kohala and Kingsland have long interior hallways. BC units seem more separated. The lanais are much bigger and still feel private.

Also BayClub has three pools counting the Kohala suite pool. You can move freely between any of them.

Kings' Land Phase 1 I know does NOT have long interior hallway, maybe phase 3 does, but I don't think phase 2 does either.

It is all 2 BRs only. It just doesn't have either units (which Bay club wins) or Pools (which Kings' Land wins), so it is just third choice for me all the time.

bagabonz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Club Waikoloa
I have only stayed in bldg. 22. It must be phase 3.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned