• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Banyan Resort, Key West Irma Update

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
on Facebook

The Banyan Resort
14 hrs ·
I am writing with good news!!

We have heard directly from staff at The Banyan that everyone there is fine with no injuries, and The Banyan sustained no apparent damage other than branches down and such. The brave Banyan team that stayed in Key West during Hurricane Irma is at the property working on the clean-up.

There is now some spotty power on the island, but running water (not potable) is available only for a few hours a day and communications via text only are very intermittent and unreliable. Property and business owners are still not permitted to return due to the power, water and sewerage problems. Things are improving and our island will fully recover, it just needs a little more time!

This is obviously good news and we are very lucky to have a staff of hardy Key Westers who were willing to ride out a Category 4 hurricane and are there to help protect our property. Key West is strong, as is The Banyan. We will recover.

We also have information, thanks to an owner contacting the Board of Directors, of efforts to gather owners in the Pittsburgh area together to provide some feedback on the condition of the resort. THIS WAS NOT INITIATED BY THE BANYAN AND IS MOST LIKELY A SCAM of some sort. If it is happening in Pittsburgh, it can happen other places. Please be very cautious if contacted and let any other owners you may have access to and make them aware of this type of fraud.

Thank you all for your concern and support. We will stay in touch.

Joe Cimini

President, BTOA

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own here early November. Seems it probably will be open. Whereas it seems Banyan is ok, I just can't imagine myself visiting the area and seeing all the devastation in the surrounding areas.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On their website...
September 20, 2017

POST IRMA UPDATE FROM THE BANYAN:

At this time, The Banyan Resort and Key West are recovering from hurricane Irma. We are awaiting word from the City and County officials as to when visitors will be allowed back to the island. At this time, no visitors are permitted. We still have very limited resources, some parts of the island still have no power and the entire island is under a "boil water" advisory. So long as there is no potable water, The Banyan Resort will remain CLOSED.

At The Banyan Resort, we continue to have no phone service and very limited internet, so please be patient. The Banyan Resort staff is working very hard to get the resort back to normal. Our General Manager and front desk staff will be contacting upcoming reservations and will advise owners/guests accordingly. Please check back to the website periodically as we will post any updates here when we are able.

Thank you for your patience,
Mehgan Heaps
General Manager

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO The Banyan is the best Resort in Key West. I have never owned a Week there but was tempted to buy many times.

George

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMO The Banyan is the best Resort in Key West. I have never owned a Week there but was tempted to buy many times.

George
I've checked out all the timeshares in old key west. As where all of them are very nice, my favorite is Banyan because it has the old key west feel, the way it use to be, very special.

I was lucky to get a week at a great price, of all places, an eBay auction. Love it so much trying to find a second week and would pay market rate.

Market rate is much lower for Banyan then the other old key west resorts. Must be because it's the best kept secret as II has not given it any designation. Never understood why there is no designation.

If you ever buy, you won't regret it. I own great timeshares and this is my favorite.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
I own here early November. Seems it probably will be open. Whereas it seems Banyan is ok, I just can't imagine myself visiting the area and seeing all the devastation in the surrounding areas.

While Key West no doubt had some damage from Irma, they fared so much better than many of the other Keys. We don't have a trip planned until early December but the effects will still be very visible in some areas. The Keys are very good at getting things back up and running as quickly as they can but this will take some time.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On website...
September 21, 2017

POST IRMA UPDATE FROM THE BANYAN:

We are pleased to announce The Banyan Resort will re-open on Saturday, September 30th! Please keep in mind, we are still without phone service. Any inquiries should be directed to gm@thebanyanresort.com. The internet service seems to be getting better with each day and I will check emails as often as possible to provide responses. We are also still without power in the 400 & 600 buildings, but I'm fairly confident this will be corrected by the end of next week. I sincerely thank you all for your patience and we look forward to returning to normal operations.

Thank you for your patience,
Mehgan Heaps
General Manager

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They are open, spoke to them today.